Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2016 XRT TSAS Error linked to weight?  (Read 1018 times)

Offline markbell

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Keyingham
2016 XRT TSAS Error linked to weight?
« on: August 23, 2018, 12:46:48 PM »
My 2016 XRT (bought from new and still under warranty) has been generating TSAS errors when 2 up and loaded. The error usually occurs after filling up at petrol stations or manoeuvring the bike (e.g. on a ferry) but only seems to happen when touring 2 up and with panniers.
The TSAS error appears then has to be left to recalibrate itself and happens about every 2 days when in constant use, i.e. frequent enough to be annoying.

The bike has previously generated permanent TSAS errors that were fixed by the dealer by replacing one of the front fork encoders and the suspension ECU.

Other than that, the bike completed a 3000 mile tour of northern Europe without a hitch.

Any similar experiences please?

Cheers.

Offline bonzo1050

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: xrt
  • City / Town: Birmingham
Re: 2016 XRT TSAS Error linked to weight?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 08:18:10 PM »
I also have a 2016 XRT and this happened to me recently, I had to stop on an incline at a railway crossing for a while,and just as I pulled away it was showing TSAS was re calibrating. Two up with panniers on,not sure if this normal that occasionally the suspension has to re calibrate?

Offline Keith.mu

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer XRt
  • City / Town: Christchurch
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 10:55:31 AM »
Also happening on my 2017 XRT.  But not on 2 up, although I'm a big lad.  Bike used daily and error messages coming out every 3-4 days.

Going into the Dealer for it's first year service tomorrow so hopefully they can sort something out.

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 12:59:49 PM »
I'd be interested to know what this error means, I've got a 2015, pre-TSAS model and find the rear spring way too soft two up with panniers, if this error means the TSAS suspension is also too soft and going "out of range" then that's another black mark against upgrading at some point  :084:

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 03:01:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
I'd be interested to know what this error means, I've got a 2015, pre-TSAS model and find the rear spring way too soft two up with panniers, if this error means the TSAS suspension is also too soft and going "out of range" then that's another black mark against upgrading at some point  :084:
The clue that the TSAS Pre-Load cannot 100% adjust for full bike loading, e.g. 225 odd kg is in the fact there is a manual headlight adjuster for loaded use. This is seperate to the normal headlight adjustment. If the rear pre-load could adjust full range for a 50kg rider and a two up with luggage tipping 225kg there would be no need for it. It is not a fault or bad design, just mechanics and nothing unusual about it compared to other bikes, all manufacturers face the same dilema in spring rate choice. At the max rated load two up this bike is still quite dynamic even with a bit less rake/trail caused by a sagging rear end, I think. When loaded up you want to increase damping way up in your rider mode, the same as you would want to do for a manually adjusted system.

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 12:46:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
The clue that the TSAS Pre-Load cannot 100% adjust for full bike loading, e.g. 225 odd kg is in the fact there is a manual headlight adjuster for loaded use. This is seperate to the normal headlight adjustment. If the rear pre-load could adjust full range for a 50kg rider and a two up with luggage tipping 225kg there would be no need for it. It is not a fault or bad design, just mechanics and nothing unusual about it compared to other bikes, all manufacturers face the same dilema in spring rate choice. At the max rated load two up this bike is still quite dynamic even with a bit less rake/trail caused by a sagging rear end, I think. When loaded up you want to increase damping way up in your rider mode, the same as you would want to do for a manually adjusted system.

Good Point
The clue that the manual suspension on my 2015 is pi$$ poor is that the hydraulic adjuster has to be screwed in halfway just for the rider, then screwed in fully for a passenger and then has nowhere to go when you add luggage, if the TSAS is the same and you still have to manually adjust the damping to get barely adequate suspension, then it kind of defeats the object of having TSAS.
I get that it works Ok for rider only, but it really ought to work further down the bottom end of the spring/ damping range, absolute maximum should be 25% of range for rider only, then it wouldn't be overwhelmed with a passenger and luggage, passenger only it's just about Ok most of the time.
It's unfortunate that Triumph don't have good suspension on any of the Tiger range (apart from the XC versions), because they are all otherwise really good pillion friendly bikes.
I had my Tiger 800 sorted by https://www.maxtonsuspension.co.uk/files/home-road.html and it transformed the bike, the 1050 was better, but again a poor, too soft rear shock, I won't be doing anything now until next spring, but LED lights and TSAS were the things that (if they worked properly) might have persuaded me to upgrade to a newer model  :028:

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 02:58:39 PM »
...if the TSAS is the same and you still have to manually adjust the damping to get barely adequate suspension, then it kind of defeats the object of having TSAS. The TSAS on this bike is merely measuring the rear SAG and adjusting the rear preload, it knows nothing of any damping in normal road use.  Like all bikes it tops out at max load as getting a spring rate for such a wide range of weights would be very hard. The mere fact the bike has electric preload adjuster gives it no more capability than a hand adjusted preload knob, it is a convenience item only in that you don't have to muck about measuring rear SAG and working out some best settings for your varied riding requirements, e.g. solo, two up etc. The damping settings are easily modified in any rider mode to firm up the suspension in lieu of the extra weight of a pillion, increasing the damping would be normal in any bike with adjustable damping when carrying extra load. You would have to go to something like BMW's Dynamic Damping Control (DDC) if you want the damping to alter itself depending on conditions. Triumph make no claims to have a DDC type capability on the T1200.

Offline Traxx

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 XRX 1200
  • City / Town: Fort Worth
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 03:30:34 PM »
After looking into the Max weight, it is pretty easy to get within 10% of the max if you're 2 up and loaded. Any vehicle that is run that close to the limit will perform poorly and wear out prematurely.
Solo, I am all good. But 2 up and loaded for bear I am approaching the max limit. Yes I can see the difference in the ride, but I haven't gotten any TSAS error messages. Maybe review your weights, if you are under the max limits and believe its a hardware or software issue than take the bike to the shop. It may be an encoder or stepper motor issue and needs to be fixed.
Good luck with getting it sorted out.
Tread lightly my friends.

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Red Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 12:16:16 AM »
I've had my T1200 recalibrate when I got on (solo).  Once.
The missus and lots of luggage have been on the back, without issue.  Probably was getting close to the limit.

I wonder if recalibrations occur sometimes from turning on the bike while not sitting on it, then getting on?

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 06:21:34 PM »
A common problem is your wife lying about her weight  ;-)
Seriously though, can you change the springs on TSAS bikes without any problems?
My Gen1 is fantastic since I put on heavy springs front and rear.

Recent Topics