Author Topic: Rear Brake pad wear  (Read 4889 times)

Offline Cragman7

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XC 2014
  • City / Town: Wellingborough
Rear Brake pad wear and pedal travel
Reply #20 on: July 27, 2020, 06:02:40 AM
Last year I had new rear pads and a rear tyre for my MOT, I changed that tyre 6 weeks ago after 6000 miles and noticed the rear pad on one side had less then 3mm life left in it. Last weekend I discovered the pad retaining pin rounded off inside so had a major battle trying to get that out. After a major clear, copper slip and new pads the brakes are working again but I've got a hell of a lot of pedal travel, two much, maybe 2 inches. New pads are obviously thicker and previous travel I hadn't noted but was definitely a lot less. Fluid is just below maximum and I've got no leaks. The Pistons have been back and forth a fair few times during cleaning and both slide freely when the pedal is pressed. The postpones never came fully forward somthe fluid hasn't been exposed and I don't suspect air in the system. Any suggestions on a cause ?
When I got back from a 100 ride out yesterday I raised the pedal up a long way to make it more useable but it's not right.

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Rear Brake pad wear
Reply #21 on: July 27, 2020, 01:35:20 PM
This is often the case of the caliper piston seals pulling the pistons back too much, the wiper seals not the dust seals. They are supposed to do this of course but it may be excessive in your case. This would also leave the pads a bit loose and could also wear the pins with vibratory movement along the shaft. This is a long standing Nissin caliper, a rebuild kit from Wemoto is only about €22 and might be a good investment. A seals only set is €14 and a complete rebuild set with pistons is €64. While you are at it new EBC pads for €23 will fit the bill. Lots of choices here, all cheap and an afternoon in the garage. Don't forget a plastic tube to bleed afterwards and a €5 bottle of DOT4 brake fluid. Good luck.

Offline Alleycat1234

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Ottawa Ontario
Re: Rear Brake pad wear
Reply #22 on: August 24, 2020, 12:53:28 AM
23,000 kms and the rear pads are badly worn (almost metal on metal).  $57 CDN for a set of OEM pads.  So, I expect about 20,000 kms with my riding style (to avoid disk damage).