Author Topic: Rear Brake pad wear  (Read 6339 times)

Offline Cragman7

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XC 2014
  • City / Town: Wellingborough
Rear Brake pad wear and pedal travel
Reply #20 on: July 27, 2020, 06:02:40 AM
Last year I had new rear pads and a rear tyre for my MOT, I changed that tyre 6 weeks ago after 6000 miles and noticed the rear pad on one side had less then 3mm life left in it. Last weekend I discovered the pad retaining pin rounded off inside so had a major battle trying to get that out. After a major clear, copper slip and new pads the brakes are working again but I've got a hell of a lot of pedal travel, two much, maybe 2 inches. New pads are obviously thicker and previous travel I hadn't noted but was definitely a lot less. Fluid is just below maximum and I've got no leaks. The Pistons have been back and forth a fair few times during cleaning and both slide freely when the pedal is pressed. The postpones never came fully forward somthe fluid hasn't been exposed and I don't suspect air in the system. Any suggestions on a cause ?
When I got back from a 100 ride out yesterday I raised the pedal up a long way to make it more useable but it's not right.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Rear Brake pad wear
Reply #21 on: July 27, 2020, 01:35:20 PM
This is often the case of the caliper piston seals pulling the pistons back too much, the wiper seals not the dust seals. They are supposed to do this of course but it may be excessive in your case. This would also leave the pads a bit loose and could also wear the pins with vibratory movement along the shaft. This is a long standing Nissin caliper, a rebuild kit from Wemoto is only about €22 and might be a good investment. A seals only set is €14 and a complete rebuild set with pistons is €64. While you are at it new EBC pads for €23 will fit the bill. Lots of choices here, all cheap and an afternoon in the garage. Don't forget a plastic tube to bleed afterwards and a €5 bottle of DOT4 brake fluid. Good luck.

Offline Alleycat1234

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Ottawa Ontario
Reply #22 on: August 24, 2020, 12:53:28 AM
23,000 kms and the rear pads are badly worn (almost metal on metal).  $57 CDN for a set of OEM pads.  So, I expect about 20,000 kms with my riding style (to avoid disk damage).

Offline Roadracingtog

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer XR
  • City / Town: Helsby, Cheshire
Reply #23 on: March 31, 2021, 07:02:28 PM
I read this thread with interest and would like to share my experience that happened this week.

My Gen 2 has done only 5k and this week failed it’s MOT (UK). The tester told me that the rear pads were almost down to the metal and that the disc was warped. He was right on both. I’m fitting a new EBC disc and EBC HH pads. I’ve always used EBC stuff on all my bikes over the years when anything brake related has needed renewing. My experience is that they produce top quality parts at less than OEM prices and I’ve never had to replace a disc ever.

Anyway, I stripped the caliper and disc off the bike and I think I discovered why this had happened. The sliding caliper pins would not budge. Not to be confused with the pad retaining pins (hex heads) which although mucky did release easily enough.

The caliper sliding pin, the forward most pin which is the longer one with the bellows type rubber seal was well and truly stuck. This prevented the sliding back and forth motion as intended as the pads would wear and when the brake is applied. With persuasion and a squirt or ten of ACF 50 it finally gave way. I was shocked at how rusty it was from top to bottom. The hole it sits in and in which it supposedly slides back and forth looked like last nights curry!

I cleaned the pin using 400 grade wet and dry and more squirts of ACF 50. Which has been cleaned off before reassembly by the way. I teased out the rubber boot and applied a good splodge of red rubber grease and lubed the pin with the same. The other pin, the shorter one was pristine.

I reckon that the pads have been binding against the disc continually thus resulting in above than expected wear and probably causing excess heat that’s warped the disc. On the disc you can see a patch where the pads have missed it on one side.

In my opinion, having read many posts here and elsewhere about this problem, this should have been an item of recall or at least a service bulletin. A friend has a Tiger 1050 and he’s on his fourth pair of front discs, replaced each time under warranty. His dealer has raised the issue with the factory about the quality of the discs used nowadays by Triumph.

To strengthen that statement I also own a 1996 900 Speed Triple and a 1995 Daytona 900. On both bikes they are on the original discs all round with a combined mileage of 50k. They are both a long way from needing to be replaced and look brand new even after 25 years. Coincidentally I have the rear caliper off the Speed Triple and it’s very like the one on the Gen 2. Guess what, the sliding caliper pins slide as smooth as you like. They’ve been cleaned once or twice and I’ve replaced the pads once before but there’s no corrosion at all and the caliper works fine.
Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 07:05:55 PM by Roadracingtog

Offline GTEX

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: EXPLORER 1200
  • City / Town: BIRMINGHAM
Reply #24 on: April 01, 2021, 07:24:01 AM
I find that the pad on the piston side wears down much quicker that the other pad. I keep the pin sliders well lube so its not coursed by them being seized. I use  EBC HH pads and they last around 7 to 8k but they only need change because the piston side one is low. I came up with a idea to save a few quid by adapting the "fixed" side pad to fit the piston side

Offline Roadracingtog

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer XR
  • City / Town: Helsby, Cheshire
Reply #25 on: April 03, 2021, 06:14:47 PM
This is something I shall keep a close eye on and I shall clean the caliper periodically and hopefully achieve a higher mileage from the pads. Considering for how long this issue has been aired by owners and dealers I do feel Triumph haven’t addressed this sufficiently. Anyway UK weather is slowing improving and the COVID restrictions are easing so hopefully we can enjoy the summer 👍