Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: COM system with the best gain?  (Read 1093 times)

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: COM system with the best gain?
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 01:32:13 PM »
One of my buddies Scala Rider units was getting a bit dodgy on sound and it was just speaker degredation. A change to U-clear speakers worked for him. https://www.ucleardigital.com/shop/helmet-audio/powersports/pulse-helmet-speakers/ As you are looking for a new set maybe a full uClear system?

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 04:25:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by Slaine [+]
Sena and N-Com are the same manufacturer, so voulume is basically the same with either.
I had bought the previous generation N-com B4. First, one unit was delivered with a MB problem that prevented programming of FM stations. Next, the other unit stopped charging. Then, both the charging power supplies began failing to charge the units and/or taking forever to charge the units (possibly after my daughter tried to charge her phone with them). Now, the range has dropped from line of sight to about 20 feet.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 04:26:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hawk281 [+]
I am also dealing with hearing issues, from work and being somewhat older. I found that the Scala rider system works ok, both for intercom and phone use. :002:
Is Scala Rider made by Cardo now, or is it just a model name?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 05:25:59 PM »
Sena customer service says that all of their units produce the same max output at 30mW.

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 11:04:51 AM »
Well I have parted company with Sena Products. My SC10U has been back with the factory for over 6 weeks and no word on the problem one way or another. The shop has refunded me and I am now going with a Cardo Packtalk Duo. It has had good reviews and some friends use them.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2018, 04:13:18 PM »
After surveying the market, I came to the conclusion that the max output is probably limited by industry standard to 30mW across the board (although Cardo never got back to me). I have subsequently repaired my N-Com system (broken lead wire to the external antenna) and will stick with what I have, using my Nolan helmet when I need com capability and saving myself $600 in the process.

Offline Big_Mac

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Graphite TEX
  • City / Town: Brockton
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2018, 07:22:36 PM »
One thing to think about would be custom fitted ear plugs.  With the correct mount for Sena SMH10 series I have been using fitted ear plug with speakers.  That works to reduce wind noise when no sound is coming though and no need for huge Volume at speed.  The 20S is a better design since the plug is built in where my version had this extra wire that I have to attach.  It is cumbersome but for long times on the road it is great.
Big Mac

2013 Graphite Explorer

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 04:59:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by Big_Mac [+]
One thing to think about would be custom fitted ear plugs.  With the correct mount for Sena SMH10 series I have been using fitted ear plug with speakers.  That works to reduce wind noise when no sound is coming though and no need for huge Volume at speed.  The 20S is a better design since the plug is built in where my version had this extra wire that I have to attach.  It is cumbersome but for long times on the road it is great.
How does it work with putting on and taking off the helmet? Does the wire pull the ear plugs out?

Offline Big_Mac

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Graphite TEX
  • City / Town: Brockton
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 03:07:18 PM »
No problem there. The plugs stay in your ears and your helmet is like you phone or mp3 player, when taking your helmet off.  To walk away from your helmet you need to either take the plugs out or unplug the head set from the Sena.  There is a huge design difference between SHM-10 and the 20 version. The 10 I have enough cable to walk about 8 ft from my helmet with out disconnecting.  The 20 has a newer design where you headset plug directly to the mount.
Big Mac

2013 Graphite Explorer

Recent Topics

nonskid