Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Ken & John's round Oz trip  (Read 1971 times)

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Ken & John's round Oz trip
« on: August 28, 2018, 01:16:41 PM »
For anyone interested...
I'm doing a round Australia trip on my Tiger1200, with a mate on a BMW R1200R.  We will follow mostly the sealed coast roads.
It will take 2+ months.  Going clockwise from Adelaide.
British people may not appreciate what its like to ride over here.  Its a long way between towns, once away from civilisation.  So what is needed is a mile-muncher of a bike.  My Tiger1200 does it admirably.  I'm not the least bit sorry I spent a heap swapping from the 2015 TEx to the 2018 Tiger.
The fuel range is not brilliant, but the mate's BMW only has a 17L tank, so my range is adequate.  (He gets better mileage than me, but his fuel is more expensive.)
I'm carrying quite a few tools (even if I may not know how to use them), and we both have tents for use in emergency.

I've started a blog, which I may or may not keep updated, with varying degrees of attention and quality.
https://ozbiketrip2018.blogspot.com/
(This is written for family and friends, more than bike forum folk.)

I'll be using my phone to track my progress.  The app 'Bubbler' sends location updates to SpotWalla.  All free.
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1aa155b71c663d9059&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

I'll have a laptop with me, so will still be online from time to time (like now, posting this).

Here is me about to leave home, with two panniers, large topbox, tank bag, 4 tied-on 'document holders' and a bag on the back seat:

Offline Nutter

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
Re: Ken & John's round Oz trip
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 06:42:34 PM »
Sounds like it will be a great trip. Look forward to reading more about it as you go.

Offline Grey tiger

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger explorer xc
  • City / Town: Bermagui NSW
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 08:38:39 PM »
KenW, may you have an awesome trip  I'll be following your posts.  Best of luck !

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 08:36:14 AM »
Enjoy!

(and ride safe)

Offline Jaeger

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Christchurch
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 08:45:54 AM »
Travel well, enjoy!!.

Offline dunc

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: explorer 1200
  • City / Town: nsw
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 09:23:16 AM »
well i hate you and your mate
na not really

will keep track thru the tracker

enjoy and be safe
may catch up when you head down the east coast  :028:

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 09:29:47 AM »
Great stuff, keep us posted as often as you can. Good luck.

Offline Regi T

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 10:36:08 AM »
Safe and happy travels for yourself and John, we'll be following your trip so don't forget to take plenty of photos!!

Hopefully by the time you arrive in Melbourne the weather will be a bit more on the warmer side.

Watch out for the idiots on the Great Ocean Road, who seem to think they can just prop in the middle of the road for a photo, or turn right without indicating, just as you overtake them. Full of hazards that road, even the surface.

Enjoy fellas..... :031:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 10:38:20 AM by Regi T »

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 11:47:01 AM »
Thanks for the kind words folks.

Getting very windy as we are about to leave Ceduna tomorrow.  Will impact our fuel usage.  And make riding a bit dicey.  We chatted to a 4WD & caravan guy fuelling up who'd just come from the west.  He said they had to slow down to 80 to keep control of the van.  Those who didn't were wandering all over the road.
Hopefully we will see whales at Head of the Bight tomorrow.

Regi T, I've done the GOR a few times by bike.  I know what you mean.  I love the OS tourists (usually Asian) who just stop their rental van in the middle of the road to take photos, often next to a "no photos here" sign.  They seem oblivious to the traffic snarls they cause.
We will probably go inland a bit down the east coast, to avoid rental vans and trucks/semis.
In December I'm booked to do a Ulysses Victorian "High Country" ride. Then next year coming back from the Mornington Peninsula AGM (with missus on the back), one of the people I'll be riding with wants to do the GOR.  (After that we go to the New Zealand Ulysses AGM.)

All you folk not yet retired, your turn will come.  Meanwhile I'm making hay while the sun shines (and the body can still do it.)

Ken.

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 12:02:16 PM »
Scary moment this morning in the middle of the Nullarbor (leaving Eucla).
Console reported key fob out of range.
As has happened with others, I suspect it was the phone tower nearby which upset it.  I put the fob right next to the receiver -still gave the error.
However the bike started OK, and once away from the tower all seemed well.
I don't really need that keyless ignition!

Observing the fuel fills and reported remaining kms, I've come to the conclusion that the remain kms figure allows for a reserve of 2 litres.
Seems reasonably accurate if I take that into consideration, ie at indication of 0km left, there is still 2L in the tank.
I'm getting around 6 km/L.  (Have had some very windy conditions.)

Recent Topics

nonskid