Author Topic: Gen1: Reduce buffeting and glare from factory windscreen  (Read 2067 times)

Offline OR_rider

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Hillsboro
After having my 2012 Gen1 with factory windscreen for a week and taking one long-ish trip (250 miles RT) I had to do something to reduce buffeting from the factory screen.  While I had it off I figured I may as well try something to reduce nighttime glare from the headlights on the screen as well.

Note: Both of these "fixes" I read about elsewhere in various forums, but figured I may as well document it a bit here in case its helpful to others.

Objectives:

1. Reduce buffeting on factory windscreen by extending mount with nylon spacers. This reduces the backpressure by allowing more air to flow underneath the windscreen.
2. Reduce windscreen glare at night from headlamps by painting bottom edge of windscreen with black paint.

(I will add several pics at the end in order to illustrate the HW I used and steps taken)

Steps Taken:
a. Procure new mounting hardware. 4x each of the following: 6mm cap head hex bolt, 1" nylon spacer (with appropriate ID for new bolt),  rubber grommet/eyelet to fit bolt, washer, clip nut. (Unfortunately I did not write down the length of the new bolts, so you will need to do some test fitting to determine...it will be on order of 40mm or 45mm I believe but not 100% certain.)
b. Other supplies: black spray paint or nail polish; heat shrink tubing to fit nylon spacers (optional).
c. Remove factory windscreen, set aside mounting hardware (you will be replacing with all new HW).
d. Carefully drill out the mounting holes in factory windscreen to fit the rubber grommets. I recommend incrementally increasing in bit size to avoid damaging or cracking the plexiglass.
e. Now is the time to paint the bottom edge of the windscreen.  I sprayed some black paint in a cup and used a hobby brush to carefully paint the edges with 2 coats. Set aside to let dry.
f. Paint or cover the nylon spacers with heatshrink. (Optional, I didn't want to see white spacers standing out.)
g. Install clip nuts on bike mounting tabs.
h. After paint has sufficiently dried, re-install the windscreen.
h. I painted the bolt ends as well to reduce corrosion/rust. In hindsight I may have been better of getting stainless hardware, will find out this winter.

Pics:

Offline saint mucus

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer
  • City / Town: Lake Havasu City AZ
Re: Gen1: Reduce buffeting and glare from factory windscreen
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 10:02:36 AM
 Nice write up. I recently bought a 1st Gen 2014, luckily for me I guess I'm just the right height so I don't have a buffeting issue. Just wanted to say thanks for the how to. The lack of how to vids or write ups for the Explorer is only thing that sucks about owning one, thankfully we have this forum. I know the Explorer has only been around for 8 yrs or so but there are only a couple vids of any kind of maintenance on you tube, one how to pull the front wheel and one how to remove the tank. I haven't had to buy a service manual for my motorcycles since the late 90's, I just ordered one for my Explorer. Don't get me wrong I love this bike, in fact I'm blown away by it, I've been on two wheels for 29 years and the Explorer has me falling in love with ridding all over again.     
You don't have the right to tell me what I should or shouldn't think is a laughing matter, you only have the right to be offended by my sense of humor.

Offline Hoozdis

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Plano, TX
Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 11:46:12 AM
Thanks for the post. I just bought a 2014 TEX as well brand new off the showroom floor. Im very impressed with it as well and still trying to learn the Triump ropes. Im thankful this site is available since Triump isnt as common here in the US as it is across the pond.

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 12:38:45 PM
Thanks for the reminder, I bought a SH screen of a former forum member and fitted it on the weekend, no idea who the manufacturer is, but I had to fit a couple of rubber washers to space it off the bracket so it doesn't clash with the handgaurds, so I'm off to order some thick nylon washers to do a similar, but less extreme job  :028:
Just passin' through

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 01:07:47 PM
Just in case anyone else needs to do similar to me (obviously the standard bolts won't be long enough for OR Rider's application) :

https://www.pro-bolt.com/aluminium-screen-kit-4-bolt-xl-head.html

https://www.pro-bolt.com/nylon-washers-m5-pack-x-20.html
Just passin' through

Offline Tigraid

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: '16 R1200GSA
  • City / Town: Dursley
Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 02:56:34 PM
I solved the buffeting issue by adding one of these to the screen...nicely made, works a treat!  Adjustable but I've found it best when the standard screen is set to lowest setting, this then added with only a slight upwards tilt.  Can now ride in a cosseted still pocket of air whilst still seeing over the top of the screen.  Seller is Moto Adventure in Kent...I think these might be Polish made.  Highly recommended.

Offline Richy58

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Groningen
Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 06:56:30 PM
And in addition to these great posts,winglets on the gen1 work against upward buffeting.

nonskid