Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Low battery warning  (Read 1985 times)

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
Re: Low battery warning
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 11:00:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by nuttySweeet [+]
It's more likely to be the Regulator/Rectifier playing up

Explorers don't have regulators, they have field coil alternators. Instead of generating too much power then dumping it in a heat sink, they just generate what is needed. There is presumably some sort of rectifier, but it's built into the alternator housing and not shown separately on the circuit diagram.

Offline Stepdoug

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Felixstowe
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2018, 09:54:59 AM »
Cheers. Will update at a later point as it's going back to the dealers today. Will wait and see what they find .

Offline Stepdoug

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 07:29:35 AM »
Ok. So bike went back to triumph on sat for another check over. Got a call Monday afternoon saying sorry can't find a fault.
The battery warning is still coming on but now after only 3.5 miles. The bike hasn't got tpms on it so it's not that.
Bike is only 11 months old and only has 1100 miles on it.
Will even show warning after sitting on tick over for about 6 mins .
Any more ideas ???

Online T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer & 800XC
  • City / Town: English Riviera
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 07:41:48 AM »
If the voltages all read OK to show that the alternator is doing its job correctly then it could just be an internal ECU or instrument fault. It depends which part of the system measures the battery voltage.

Only swapping out each module would eliminate them from the list of suspects and it's unlikely that any dealer would offer to try this without help from Triumph HQ.
...Desire ends in satisfaction...

Offline Stepdoug

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 08:11:23 AM »
That's what I'm now thinking. Will email triumph HQ. And await a reply.

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 08:43:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
If the voltages all read OK to show that the alternator is doing its job correctly then it could just be an internal ECU or instrument fault. It depends which part of the system measures the battery voltage.

Only swapping out each module would eliminate them from the list of suspects and it's unlikely that any dealer would offer to try this without help from Triumph HQ.
And just to catch you out just because you are getting a decent voltage reading does not mean your alternator is healthy and putting out enough current. The health of an alternator would normally be quickly tested (on a car for instance) by putting an inductive ammeter over the output wire. It can be sitting theree at 14v and .5A current. Similarly a battery can read a decent voltage and still be shot, the only real way of testing the battery is with a load tester. i.e. a big resistance over the terminals.

Offline Stepdoug

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 09:01:03 AM »
Can't see why they can't change and try items to eliminate them. But will wait and see what they come back with. Then it's triumph HQ my next nearest dealer is about 60 ish miles away so I think that's out. As I don't want to make the wife push it that far  :047:

Offline TEXICO

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 2013
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 09:13:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stepdoug [+]
Can't see why they can't change and try items to eliminate them. But will wait and see what they come back with. Then it's triumph HQ my next nearest dealer is about 60 ish miles away so I think that's out. As I don't want to make the wife push it that far  :047:

:008: :008: :008:

Offline Stepdoug

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2018, 10:39:20 AM »
Well. As of yesterday afternoon it could be that the battery is stuffed. They have a new one on charge and will try again today.
Awaiting a phone call. 

Offline Stepdoug

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 09:33:30 PM »
Well picked bike up tonight. And it's now done it twice on the way home. Which is about 14 miles. So back into dealers in the morning with a request to involve Hinckley.

Recent Topics

nonskid