Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: MRA X-creen revisited  (Read 699 times)

Offline rockitcity

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Northridge, CA
MRA X-creen revisited
« on: September 10, 2018, 07:28:43 PM »
Did a search, found a lot of info, too much to digest, so I thought I'd post a new thread.

2013 Tiger Explorer XC.  I have had a Madstad windshield on it for a year or so.  Generally like the wind management, but lately it has been rattling around over bumps (no off-road, just normal street irregularities).  I thought I'd take it off to see if the Madstad is the problem or if it is somewhere in the front sub-frame area, so I put the original screen back on.  While the rattling seems to be gone, I remembered why I took it off in the first place-wind is directed straight at the middle of my helmet, which is not too bad for summer, but not good for winter.  I also have never been fond of the look of the large metal mounting bracket of the Madstad, and have some (minor) concern about the strain it may be putting on the sub-frame, of which there have been reports of breakage from small incidents.

Thinking of putting an MRA X-creen on the original windshield.  I know some have done this, and I had one on my Bandit which worked well.  So my question is, which X-creen?  I'm thinking the smaller Sport version might give me just enough additional airflow to push the wind over the top of my helmet rather than the middle.  For those who have used an X-creen with the standard Triumph windscreen, are you still happy with the results, or am I just chasing my tail here and should just find the cause of the Madstad rattles?

Thanks for any insight!

Offline nuttySweeet

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: London
Re: MRA X-creen revisited
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 10:18:31 AM »
I have a clear MRA X-creen you can have for £50 that I used to use on my Tiger 1050, it worked amazingly well so I would deffo recommend. No need for it on the Gen 3.

You can either clamp it or drill it in place. I think I still have the template for drilling it and necessary attachments but will have to look, I just clamped it so I could remove it if I wanted to. It still worked just as well.

Offline nuttySweeet

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 10:22:41 AM »
Sorry just noticed you're in the states! You can still have it if you want to pay shipping, might not be worth it though. I would still recommend regardless if you can grab one locally, it does a great job of deflecting the wind over your head.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 04:06:56 PM »
I moved an X-screen from my wife's v-strom to my TEX when we sold the v-strom. I drilled and mounted it to a two-piece Givi/Kappa Airflow windscreen. I am very pleased with the result because the Givi/Kappa screen allows me to easily adjust the height of the combo to suit current conditions, while the X-screen allows fine tuning of the air flow.

Tip: tape bits of yarn to the top of the X-screen and test. When the yarn stands straight up without thrashing, you have near-perfect air flow.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline rockitcity

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 07:24:09 PM »
Wow, looks like a German WW1 Fokker triplane! That's the larger touring version, correct?  I'm finding I like not having the bulk of the Madstad mounting bracket, but definitely have more noise from the stock screen.  I may spring for a Sport X-creen as the touring version looks like it would be too wide.  I had one on my Bandit, but sold it with the bike.  I had drilled the screen, so it probably wouldn't have looked too good without it.

PS: thanks for the offer nuttySweeet, but postage would probably kill any advantage to that deal!

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 03:38:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by rockitcity [+]
Wow, looks like a German WW1 Fokker triplane! That's the larger touring version, correct?  I'm finding I like not having the bulk of the Madstad mounting bracket, but definitely have more noise from the stock screen.  I may spring for a Sport X-creen as the touring version looks like it would be too wide.  I had one on my Bandit, but sold it with the bike.  I had drilled the screen, so it probably wouldn't have looked too good without it.

PS: thanks for the offer nuttySweeet, but postage would probably kill any advantage to that deal!
Yeah, that is the regular size. I did get a little carried away, but the result is very good. It is a good match with the width and shape of the Givi screen. It made a big difference on the V-strom also.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline 2aRover

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2013 Tex
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 10:29:42 PM »
I tried the MRA Vario Sport lip on my stock Explorer screen over 1100 miles last month and found it problematic.  It DOES manage airflow exactly as advertised, so it works well.  The issue I had is that it has a border for rigidity that is very similar to that of the Tiger windscreen, only it's three times larger.  This border is a significant sight disruption, cluttering and/or blocking the forward view at all times.  Further, it captures the sunlight in two places and creates a ton of glare.  I returned it.  MRA makes other laminar lips that they sell separately from their windscreens, but Revzilla doesn't offer them.  These other lips have flame-polished edges without the border, and are far superior -- I had one on my 955i Tiger.  Here is an example of one on an actual MRA screen.  Compare it to the MRA Sport and you'll see what I mean. 

https://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Triumph_Tiger_Explorer_1200_2012_Onwards_MRA_Adjustable_Motorcycle_Touring_Screens.html

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 05:06:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by 2aRover [+]
The issue I had is that it has a border for rigidity that is very similar to that of the Tiger windscreen, only it's three times larger.  This border is a significant sight disruption, cluttering and/or blocking the forward view at all times.
All my bikes in the past 11 years have had windscreens. And I always set them up so that I am looking over the top of the screen. I never want to be looking through it.

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 12:16:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by rockitcity [+]
Did a search, found a lot of info, too much to digest, so I thought I'd post a new thread.

Thinking of putting an MRA X-creen on the original windshield.  I know some have done this, and I had one on my Bandit which worked well.  So my question is, which X-creen?  I'm thinking the smaller Sport version might give me just enough additional airflow to push the wind over the top of my helmet rather than the middle.  For those who have used an X-creen with the standard Triumph windscreen, are you still happy with the results, or am I just chasing my tail here and should just find the cause of the Madstad rattles?

Thanks for any insight!

I've had my Madstad on my '12 model for around 5 years with no rattles and no fittings ever coming loose. I absolutely love it. My suggestion before spending any additional cash would be to try it again & make sure every bolt is secure.
Jon

Offline rockitcity

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 02:10:30 PM »
Well I took your advice, Jon, and put the Madstad back on.  The stock screen was just too noisy, plus it's starting to get cold in the mornings and I wanted the wind out of my face.  I made sure all the adjustments were tight, and put new washers between the mounting plate and the Triumph supports.  I think those were the cause of my rattles.  Anyway, will give it another go for a while.  Thanks all, for the comments.

Recent Topics