Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Are we doing enough  (Read 4674 times)

Offline r2uzenblot

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Triumph Explorer and Ducati Cadet 100
  • Bike: Blue xrx
  • City / Town: Shropshire
Are we doing enough
« on: September 13, 2018, 09:42:46 PM »
I pick up my new Gen3 Tiger 1200 tomorrow after 3.5 happy years on my Explorer. What is there not to like about it....? So why don't we publicise this great bike more. I keep ribbing my IAM tractor brigade and they don't get it. How do we get the message across that the Tiger is a great bike and so much better than the German tractors?

Offline fubbytucker

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer
  • City / Town: Yorkshire
Re: Are we doing enough
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 10:12:47 PM »
I think we are at a stage where the big bikes are all good enough, and which one you like is personal preference. 
Is the Tex better than a GS?  For me?  Yes.  For everyone?  Doubtful.  Likewise the reverse argument.

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 03:30:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by r2uzenblot [+]
I pick up my new Gen3 Tiger 1200 tomorrow after 3.5 happy years on my Explorer. What is there not to like about it....? So why don't we publicise this great bike more. I keep ribbing my IAM tractor brigade and they don't get it. How do we get the message across that the Tiger is a great bike and so much better than the German tractors?
My thoughts exactly.  I reckon the BMW advertising budget is just so much bigger then Triumph's.  Can't think of any other reason.
(Another happy TEx then T1200 owner.)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 04:06:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by r2uzenblot [+]
How do we get the message across that the Tiger is a great bike and so much better than the German tractors?
Errr... because for many people, they're not.  Don't get me wrong, I have my own reasons for choosing my TEX over the GS (at the time, price was among them). But the GS is lighter, has a lower center of gravity and is generally more capable off the pavement. Consider that BMW shipped their 500,000th GS in 2013 (don't know what they are at in total sales this year, but I don't think that the GS has declined in popularity).

The TEX checks all my boxes. However, next May, I will be spending 22 days on an R1200 GS touring South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, and Namibia - 5200 kms in total. It will be an interesting comparison.  :002:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline ChrisN

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger1200XCa
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 09:07:53 AM »
I think it's a case of "critical mass".
Long ago BMW achieved and maintained the necessary sales figures.
The number of GS's on the roads means they in fact advertise themselves.
Lots of people feel re-assured in their choice by joining the mass.
Strangely this works in reverse for me and makes the Tiger an even more attractive choice.
I guess strange people by definition will remain in the minority.
my Explorer XCx now lives in Tenerife

Offline organaphus

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: explorer
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 09:22:35 AM »
It's a bit of a generalisation, but , for me, an Explorer is more of a motorcyclists bike. It requires more application than a G.S. which is a 'jump on and go' sort of machine. Despite it's bulk, the Explorer can deliver explosive exceloration and, with a little application, handles like a sports bike. Most of the guys I meet on the road are aware of this, but often say, ' I'd love one , but it's just too big for me'. Let's be honest, neither the G.S. nor the Explorer are off road bikes, they're both, just dressed up to look like they are.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 09:23:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by ChrisN [+]
I think it's a case of "critical mass".
Long ago BMW achieved and maintained the necessary sales figures.
The number of GS's on the roads means they in fact advertise themselves.
Lots of people feel re-assured in their choice by joining the mass.
Strangely this works in reverse for me and makes the Tiger an even more attractive choice.
I guess strange people by definition will remain in the minority.
That is the exact effect it has on me, we don't have to do any more, just keep the exclusivity to ourselves! There can be no argument that the GS is a fine machine but everybody has one!

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 09:33:54 AM »
 :0461:

Offline wrinkley

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Beverley
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 10:15:05 AM »
I was a BMW man through and through for over 25yrs. I didn't even look at anything else when purchasing a new bike. In that time, with the exception of the R850gs, I had every configuration of the GS boxer twin up until and including the latest W/C version, which I purchased in early 2014.

For me this is where it all started to go pear shaped. I won't bore you with the details, but my relationship with that bike was less than harmonious. I had a new Guzzi Stelvio for 16mnts, loved it, but it lacked a bit of grunt. A good mate of mine had an Explorer, which I'd ridden, but didn't like the riding position. Anyhow. I ended up buying a very lightly used GEN1 and tweaked the position to suit me. I soon began to realise what a bloody good bike this was and have now progressed from a Gen1 through a Gen2 and just last week picked up my Gen3 XRT.

Now I'm no great offroader, but I have taken both GS's and Explorers on some light offroading. There is no doubt the Gs is the better mannered bike offroad. This is where the misconception, that the GS is a better bike than the Explorer, is born. I don't know anyone who takes their 15k+ bike offroad, but because the Journo's rightly rate the GS as a better offroad bike, it suddenly becomes a better and more capable bike.

Let me tell you, this couldn't be further from the truth. Yes the GS is a fine motorbike, but in my opinion it's no match for the new Tiger 1200. Build quality alone on all the generation tigers would put the gs to shame. Yes it's a big lump to move around the workshop and can be a handful if you've got a gravel drive,as do I.

Get that Tiger out on the road and it's a much much more pleasurable bike to ride than any GS.

So, are we doing enough to promote the Triumph. As has been alluded to in previous posts, many folks will go with the masses because the feel comfortable in their own belief, that if so many folks own them they must be the best. It's called 'Lemming syndrome'.

I believe the Triumph is the thinking mans bike. The type of owner that has enough savvy to understand that whilst not perfect the Triumph is a bloody good bike and as a large capacity road going bike one of the best out there. It's promoted fairly well, but no amount of promotion is going to stop the Lemming from jumping off the cliff.

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 11:21:31 AM »
 :460:
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Recent Topics