Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Are we doing enough  (Read 4673 times)

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Re: Are we doing enough
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2018, 10:14:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by Tigraid [+]
Have a look at this video too....it's all down to the rider. 

Yes, its all down to the rider......and what their sponsors want. 
Kevin Carmichael is now sponsored by KTM so that's what he rides in his stunt shows and has of course done very similar promo videos of 1290 KTMs, although the Tex one was the first of its type so everything since has slightly lacked the same impact.
Years ago I saw an eye-opening video of 2 French(?) riders on BMW HP2 GS's hopping up boulders etc like they were lightweight trials bikes. Again it was down to the riders more than the machine, although admittedly their stripped down HP2s bore little resemblance to a stock GS. Wish I could find that video again!
Put any really good rider on any bike and they can do amazing things. BMW's lucky break was 2 average ability riders going The Long Way Round. Of course we all knew they had a huge support team just out of camera shot but it sold the bikes to the Average-Joe rider with limited talent far better than any exceptional rider showing off their God-like talent would.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2018, 10:56:48 AM »
"TMF is pretty heavily biased towards the GS and has never made any bones about that.  The one he rides in that video has been recalled for headstock bushes, the rear suspension failed on him and he's had other issues with it.  Had it been out of warranty, it would have cost him a fortune".

His bike was out of warranty, he bought a 2nd hand suspension unit online for a few hundred pounds and had a local independent mechanic fit it. Then had a bit of a moan at the failure on his popular YouTube channel, good for him. His BMW dealer wanted £2000 for a replacement shock. After he released his video berating BMW miraculously the dealer came up with a free of charge replacement as a goodwill gesture because he had been a loyal customer on his bike servicing. He had already admitted he had his bike serviced outside of the BMW franchise because it was out of warranty so that was some BS. The dealer also blamed it on a  mistake by the employee who dealt with him in the first instance, more BS, if I was that employee I would not be best pleased being the fall guy. I doubt the average buyer without a YouTube following would be treated that way. I'm not alone in this thought, the comments section went a bit bananas at BMW's cynical response.

On his latest review of the Gen 3 T12, I don't know what the dealer was thinking when he gave him an XRt, TMF is a short guy and the review might have been much more positive had he had the XRx Low.

Offline Tigraid

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: '16 R1200GSA
  • City / Town: Dursley
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2018, 12:27:07 PM »
Yes, having re-watched one of his videos, you're right of course...it was out of warranty...the fact remains its bad form on such a newish machine for key components like that to fail and even worse for BMW to try and extort two grand for a shock absorber....utterly ridiculous..  I agree entirely with your sentiments on the rest and wonder would he have been treated the same had he been just the average Joe on the street?  I think perhaps not.

I saw that latest review on the XRT and had much the same thoughts as yourself....his comments on the original bike would hardly have been helped by supplying him one of the taller options on the newer bike!  I'm not that tall, a little over 5'8", possibly over 5'9" in riding boots and the Gen3 to me feels way lighter and easier at slow speed than my Gen1...I just don't get all the comments about it's heft as from walking pace onwards it carries it really well and is very agile.  Mind I also think that of the Gen1....perhaps some of these guys just need to man-up a bit  :008:

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2018, 04:33:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
On his latest review of the Gen 3 T12, I don't know what the dealer was thinking when he gave him an XRt, TMF is a short guy and the review might have been much more positive had he had the XRx Low.

*Originally Posted by Tigraid [+]
I saw that latest review on the XRT and had much the same thoughts as yourself....his comments on the original bike would hardly have been helped by supplying him one of the taller options on the newer bike! 

I assumed he just got whatever demonstrator the dealer had. Most dealers will choose either top spec bikes or base models as a demo so they can sell them easily at a "bargain price" when they're due for replacement. Probably few would have low versions as demo bikes 'coz they are perceived as a niche market that might be more difficult to sell on.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2018, 05:42:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by FredJ9 [+]
Yup, a 1200 Scrambler is in the works ;)
Yeah, saw this on the CA website today...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2018, 09:31:41 PM »
Love my 2012 Tex - its been all over Europe and I actually like it more becuase its not as common as a BMW GS !!

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2019, 10:11:32 PM »
I've just been to a Ulysses Club Rally (AGM) where there were some bikes available for members to test ride.  Suzuki and Triumph bikes were there, maybe others.  I didn't do any test rides.
There was no Tiger 1200 among the Triumph bikes.  Not even one for static display.  There were two 800's.
I had a go at the guy setting up.  I pointed out that the T1200 is a great tourer, and that is what many Ulyssians do.  It fitted the target audience at the rally.  His response was that there was only so much room on the truck.
Of course they could have left off an 800 and included a 1200.

Exactly the same thing at the previous Ulysses AGM/Rally.
Is it just bad judgement, or is there a real reason behind leaving the T1200 behind?
Plenty of the retro bikes etc that Triumph seem to be pushing.  Marketing?  Or are they worried that us old farts will struggle with the top-heavy T1200?
That IMHO is why I don't see too many on the road.  I saw one other TEx (besides my old one, ridden by my riding partner) at the rally.  A few 800's.  Around 1200 members attended, but not all on bikes.

Club numbers are dropping, hence falling rally numbers (near 2000 at the previous one), but that's another story.  Young folk don't seem to do clubs any more.

Recent Topics