Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Are we doing enough  (Read 1712 times)

Offline Tigraid

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: '14 XC 1200
  • City / Town: Dursley
Re: Are we doing enough
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2018, 06:17:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
My other comment relative to the GS is that in 2012 I rented a GS for three days and did some touring with my wife with luggage. I was immediately impressed by the 2-up handling of the GS which inspired immediate confidence. This experience was what started my switch over from a heavy sport touring bike to ADV style bikes. It was furthered when we bought a 650 V-strom for my wife to ride. That led to my buying a TEX four years ago. At the time, my riding buddy said that he was surprised by my riding during that GS rental because I showed more confidence than I usually do -- he said that he was working pretty hard to keep up.

However, I have never been completely comfortable with the TEX 2-up. From memory, the TEX never quite replicated the GS 2-up experience even after some suspension tweeks. It will be interesting for me to do this comparison again when we do this extended tour in S. Africa next year on a rental GS.

I have to agree with you there Capt'

I've owned and ridden a fair few BMs including GS models and 2-up they seemed to me the ideal tourer, that is until I rode a late model RT which I thought even better.

I think that the telelever suspension, lack of front dive, low speed balance and manners was largely the key with the GS. However, as most of my riding is solo, I have to admit that I prefer the TEX.  It allows you to explore your and the bike's limits rather than flattering you as a rider, which the GS can do.  It's a personal thing but my confidence solo riding anyway prefers the TEX.  2 up with luggage and the GS would win me over just because it has a more natural balance.  There's a "but" though.  Throw in some choppy surfaces and I find that even late model GS bikes don't have the road poise and comfort of the (frankly better) Trumpet suspension.  Each bike has its plus and weak points.  For me, the costs of the GS put me off and the road manners of the TEX and vfm won me over.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2018, 07:21:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tigraid [+]
However, as most of my riding is solo, I have to admit that I prefer the TEX.
Same here, although my wife gave up riding her own bike last year so we do now take one or two trips 2-up, usually with camping gear. Solo, I love my TEX. I just find it a bit more challenging 2-up than I would like.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2018, 03:28:36 PM »
From my point of view and talking to some GS riders I know, the reliability of the bikes came from the older air cooled models.  It seems the newer ones have a lot of issues but the stories of the past still help bolster the image of run forever reliability. 

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2018, 03:55:21 PM »
I knew my next bike would be a large adventure bike for ergonomic reasons, I need the room to stretch out.
Without a Ducati dealership in town plus KTM’s terrible dealership here in town, I went with the Triumph. I’m glad I did.
Set up for the street only, this thing is pure fun and a very capable road burner with long legs.

Very satisfied with my third choice by elimination ;)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2018, 05:02:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by vsteel [+]
From my point of view and talking to some GS riders I know, the reliability of the bikes came from the older air cooled models.  It seems the newer ones have a lot of issues but the stories of the past still help bolster the image of run forever reliability.
Anyone who survey's this forum may come to the same conclusion about the TEX.  :155:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2014 TEX XC
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2018, 01:22:42 PM »
Anyone who survey's this forum may come to the same conclusion about the TEX.  :155:

Excellent point, most people who are really happy about their TEX are busy riding and not complaining on the forums. Sadly that's the beauty and the beast behind these idea exchanges: that people with problems come and seek help and people who are in the know try and do their best helping them out. But in aggregate almost all motorcycle related forums are full of problems, it is what it is.

While I am at it, TEX two up (with a passenger) can do this with no problems, FYI. (fully loaded, sidecases full, top case full, tyre pressure nominal, passenger happy and yawning)

That's why I instinctively keep posting these videos and keep the evidence going, no matter how weak it is.

I mean, I am trying  :002:  No help from Triumph North America (yet) but I am trying  :174:

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/news-and-events/twisted-customer-ride-icys-triumph-tiger-explorer-xc.html

"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline Tigraid

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: '14 XC 1200
  • City / Town: Dursley
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2018, 10:29:23 PM »

The difference though, at least in the UK, is that most Triumph dealerships have an excellent reputation for sorting problems out, and often out of warranty.  The same cannot be said for BMW.  Their bikes are notoriously costly to buy and when they go wrong, to sort out. I thought long and hard, was objective and did my homework thoroughly before committing to an adventure bike to replace my previous bikes and the TEX was the end result. I saw too many appalling examples of expensive GS bikes with corrosion issues, subject to recalls and other issues of failure of frames, final drives, fuel sensor strips, failed suspension, electronic issues (the list goes on...) and speaking to owners, it was evident that they are anything but reliable once a few years has passed from their run off the production line.  They are undoubtedly excellent to ride, but the TEX, despite some of the niggles reported (most of which are straightforward enough fixes) are inherently far more reliable as well as a better road touring proposition.

In both cases (BMW and Triumph) I can't help but wonder how many reported issues are down to a lack of proper maintenance as that has to figure too, but the overwhelming evidence is that many BMWs are ticking reliability time bombs. Perhaps nothing major or really expensive, but the facts speak for themselves...a 40% failure rate of something relatively major within the first 2 years of ownership doesn't instil confidence.  You pays your money and makes your choice.

As Icy has mentioned, forums are full of people reporting problems whilst a vast majority of owners are out happily riding without issues. I remember the list of possible issues reported on Aprilia forums about the (bomb-proof) RSV Mile, yet my 10 year ownership of two RSV and RSVR machines proved otherwise to me.  They were simply fantastic. I get the same bomb-proof vibe from the TEX and so far, the riding experience justifies the decision.

Offline Slaine

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
  • City / Town: Lippstadt
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2018, 12:25:41 PM »
The difference though, at least in the UK, is that most Triumph dealerships have an excellent reputation for sorting problems out, and often out of warranty.  The same cannot be said for BMW.  Their bikes are notoriously costly to buy and when they go wrong, to sort out. I thought long and hard, was objective and did my homework thoroughly before committing to an adventure bike to replace my previous bikes and the TEX was the end result. I saw too many appalling examples of expensive GS bikes with corrosion issues, subject to recalls and other issues of failure of frames, final drives, fuel sensor strips, failed suspension, electronic issues (the list goes on...) and speaking to owners, it was evident that they are anything but reliable once a few years has passed from their run off the production line.  They are undoubtedly excellent to ride, but the TEX, despite some of the niggles reported (most of which are straightforward enough fixes) are inherently far more reliable as well as a better road touring proposition.

In both cases (BMW and Triumph) I can't help but wonder how many reported issues are down to a lack of proper maintenance as that has to figure too, but the overwhelming evidence is that many BMWs are ticking reliability time bombs. Perhaps nothing major or really expensive, but the facts speak for themselves...a 40% failure rate of something relatively major within the first 2 years of ownership doesn't instil confidence.  You pays your money and makes your choice.

As Icy has mentioned, forums are full of people reporting problems whilst a vast majority of owners are out happily riding without issues. I remember the list of possible issues reported on Aprilia forums about the (bomb-proof) RSV Mile, yet my 10 year ownership of two RSV and RSVR machines proved otherwise to me.  They were simply fantastic. I get the same bomb-proof vibe from the TEX and so far, the riding experience justifies the decision.

Could not agree more, I have had my 2016 Tex less than 8 weeks and already know what a fantastic bike it is, from the tests in various magazines I was expecting something that was ultra confortable but an absolute nightmare at a stand or slow. The facts could not be further from the truth, yes it weighs more than a GS but a GS can only saddle I think about 190kg and the TEX way over 230KG? so yes it is heavier but I personally dont notice it.

All I do know is that it has easily the best windprotection on any bike I have ridden in the last 20 years, even my 2003 BMW 1150 RT was hardly or no better and thats before I even put an aftermarket screen on it.
The engine pulls like a truck and  has more than enough power to seriously get me in trouble, my roadtests with BMW R1200 GS and R were good but the engine is just not as smooth as the triple.

What really sold me on the bike was the fact that it was lowered at the factory and its price with all the bells and whistles that I wanted. a GS would have set me back at least another 5000€ and had probably had more thatn the 1800km on the speedo, needless to say the Testride did wonders and there was no going back.

Living in Germany and being English it also had to be something other than a BMW this time, they are kind of boring when 8 from 10 turn up at the meet with BMW´s.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2018, 12:35:29 PM »
Load capacity of the Tiger 1200 compared to others, this is one of the reasons I purchased the Tiger. Note some bikes have panniers as standard and the capacity already takes that into account. So if you add the weight of panniers to the Tiger for instance Vs an RT it will slip down the table a little. (Note to self, never buy a Yamaha 900GT for two up touring/camping, consider a Versys 1000 if Kawasaki ever give it a bit of character and cruise control)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 12:42:55 PM by XCaTel »

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2018, 02:52:57 AM »
As Icy has mentioned, forums are full of people reporting problems whilst a vast majority of owners are out happily riding without issues.
Playing devils advocate here, but if the GS outsells the TEX 20 to one, all things being equal, wouldn't you expect 20 times the postings of problems for BMWs? Just saying.  :038:

My point here is that surely we can love our TEX's without having to bash BMWs to do it.  :440:

Recent Topics