Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Are we doing enough  (Read 2543 times)

Offline mrgrumpy2

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Explorer
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Re: Are we doing enough
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2018, 09:22:15 AM »
Anyone seen this comparison?

I've got my first Triumph

Offline r2uzenblot

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Triumph Explorer and Ducati Cadet 100
  • Bike: Blue xrx
  • City / Town: Shropshire
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2018, 12:15:39 PM »
And that's the rub. People do buy bikes for what I think are the wrong reasons; a bit like peer pressure. There are many great bikes out there of all makes but people don't buy them because it would look strange in their peer group. How many people were buying the Bonevilles of the late 70's when a decent Japanese 250 would run rings around it and spend 10% of the time being maintained as the Bonnies? It wasn't the bike's great performance and reliability that kept people buying them it was just a fashion thing.

All I'm saying is that the Tex is a great bike and a large minority of adventure bike riders agree let's tell people that.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2018, 05:11:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by r2uzenblot [+]
And that's the rub. People do buy bikes for what I think are the wrong reasons; a bit like peer pressure.
People buy bikes all the time for the wrong reasons. They like the image that the bike presents. They like the idea of what the genre presents (example, adventure bikes: I want to be a world traveler). They like the idea of having the fastest bike. They want the bike with the most HP. They want something that makes them look bad-ass. They want to ride what their friends ride. They like the color.

The reality is that most bikes will be sold to someone who will not use them for their intended purpose, and probably will not use them much at all.

I am already on record as saying that I think that the Gen3 T12 will be the last iteration of the TEX. I think that Triumph are more focused on their Street Twins and Bobbers and selling the lifestyle apparel that goes with them to hipsters. Triumph promote the T8 far more than the T12. It will probably continue on, maybe as a T10.

"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2018, 05:27:19 PM »
However, I have never been completely comfortable with the TEX 2-up. From memory, the TEX never quite replicated the GS 2-up experience even after some suspension tweeks. It will be interesting for me to do this comparison again when we do this extended tour in S. Africa next year on a rental GS.
That's an interesting thought. Each to there own and all that but owning a gen1 I rode a gen2 & GS back to back both solo & 2 up before opting for the gen 2 as 70% of my riding (on this bike) is 2 up
We were both more comfortable on the Tex and actually find it better 2 up than solo - The Tex suspension, even my XRT, is still a little harsh at times and definitely compared to the GS I rode.  Comment in the vid re sitting in a GS rather than on a Tex has some truth but as he says legs are more bent on a GS - which doesn't suit with knackered knees.
I'm one of the minority - don't give a damn about whats trendy, most powerful etc - if I'm spending my hard earned cash its going to be what works for me - sod the others :)
In the end the tipping point for me was the Tex was more comfortable (for us) & had more fun factor even 2 up.
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Offline Tigraid

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: '14 XC 1200
  • City / Town: Dursley
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2018, 08:49:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
People buy bikes all the time for the wrong reasons. They like the image that the bike presents. They like the idea of what the genre presents (example, adventure bikes: I want to be a world traveler). They like the idea of having the fastest bike. They want the bike with the most HP. They want something that makes them look bad-ass. They want to ride what their friends ride. They like the color.

The reality is that most bikes will be sold to someone who will not use them for their intended purpose, and probably will not use them much at all.

I am already on record as saying that I think that the Gen3 T12 will be the last iteration of the TEX. I think that Triumph are more focused on their Street Twins and Bobbers and selling the lifestyle apparel that goes with them to hipsters. Triumph promote the T8 far more than the T12. It will probably continue on, maybe as a T10.

That's interesting as I spoke with an insider at Triumph this week who explicitly told me the very opposite  :016:  Why would they ditch one of their most popular bikes in Europe?  The street Triple, RS and TEX are some of Triumphs biggest sellers and justifiably so.  Look out for a new scrambler model in 2019 as well...

Offline Tigraid

• Explorer Member
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2018, 08:51:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by r2uzenblot [+]
And that's the rub. People do buy bikes for what I think are the wrong reasons; a bit like peer pressure. There are many great bikes out there of all makes but people don't buy them because it would look strange in their peer group. How many people were buying the Bonevilles of the late 70's when a decent Japanese 250 would run rings around it and spend 10% of the time being maintained as the Bonnies? It wasn't the bike's great performance and reliability that kept people buying them it was just a fashion thing.

All I'm saying is that the Tex is a great bike and a large minority of adventure bike riders agree let's tell people that.

:002: :0461:

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2018, 10:39:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tigraid [+]
That's interesting as I spoke with an insider at Triumph this week who explicitly told me the very opposite  :016:  Why would they ditch one of their most popular bikes in Europe?  The street Triple, RS and TEX are some of Triumphs biggest sellers and justifiably so.  Look out for a new scrambler model in 2019 as well...
On Tuesday, I visited a larger Triumph/BMW/Ducati dealer in another city. They had the usual single XRT in the showroom (like my home dealership). Much of the showroom was filled with bobbers and street twins in various configurations, along with a bunch of Ducati scramblers (which is Ducati's biggest seller). BMW had the usual consignment of a couple of everything, although they have been out of stock on the F750 and F800 GS models for months (new models coming).

I seldom see another TEX on the road here, which suits me just fine.  I don't mind the exclusivity of the TEX.  Everybody and their dog has a GS.  :038:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2018, 04:17:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by Tigraid [+]
That's interesting as I spoke with an insider at Triumph this week........Look out for a new scrambler model in 2019 as well...

Yup, a 1200 Scrambler is in the works ;)

Offline Tigraid

• Explorer Member
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2018, 06:22:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by mrgrumpy2 [+]
Anyone seen this comparison?

TMF is pretty heavily biased towards the GS and has never made any bones about that.  The one he rides in that video has been recalled for headstock bushes, the rear suspension failed on him and he's had other issues with it.  Had it been out of warranty, it would have cost him a fortune.  Having ridden the 800 Tiger, GS and TEX, I just don't agree with him on a number of fronts, although he's right when he says you sit "in" the GS more.  The TEX offers better weather protection imho, I prefer the A-road handling on the TEX to both the GS and the 800 Tiger which had a propensity for running wide (especially at lower speeds) and needed a lot of opposite lock to change direction quickly ("they all so that sir " was what the dealer told me after my test ride).  I also didn't like the more bent leg position of the GS. With a bad back it would not have been comfortable over longer trips.  As to the TEX not being good off road, he doesn't really know that and is not qualified to comment as he's never had one off road!  I have, several times and had no problems at all, albeit I wasn't comfortable with it and riding a GS would have made little difference in those circumstances...check out the trans-Australia trip in this forum section (bucket list ticked thread) for someone else pretty well qualified to comment on the TEX's off road abilities.  Have a look at this video too....it's all down to the rider. 

Trouble is, one person says something on a video and everyone repeats it.  Yes, the GS is probably easier to handle off road but neither machine is designed specifically of primary off road work as they're far too big and heavy to be serious off roaders as say a lightweight single cylinder KTM.  How many people buy these for that? No-one would by my guess...that's not really what they're about. I think on all these big adventure bikes as on road tourers with some off road ability.  In that respect, the TEX just has a few more things about it which I prefer but obviously many have different opinions.  The engine on the TEX, for me, has soul...it's addictive and the heart and soul of the machine. Triumph got it so right in that department!  I am not a fan though of it taking a full day to change an air filter or to check the plugs  :232:

Ask a dozen different people to give the same review and you'd get different opinions on the same bikes depending on what they're looking for, their physical characteristics, budget and riding styles. Personally, for me, the better all rounder was the TEX which is why I bought one (and that surprised me...I had no preconceptions).  Others will prefer something like a KTM 1190, others the Cross-Tourer and others the GS. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 06:30:11 AM by Tigraid »

Online kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Red Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2018, 07:51:41 AM »
 :0461:
After trying a GS, I bought a 2015 TEx.
The 2018 offered bells & whistles I wanted, so I've now got that.  (Life is short, and you're a long time dead.)
It's currently touring round Oz, and doing it well.
I bought it as a tourer.
Today I had a 'whoops' moment when I rode though drift sand on a coastal road (at Carnarvon).  Almost lost it.  But I'm generally staying on sealed roads or good quality dirt.  If I wanted an off-roader, (I sort of do, but no room to store it), I'd buy a 400 or some such.

I reckon I'm exactly the target market for these bikes: someone who wants a relatively naked bike with shaft drive, big enough to carry two heavweights and luggage.  The fact that it also screams past semis driving at highways speeds is an added bonus.

Recent Topics

nonskid