Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Raising the seat height  (Read 604 times)

Offline Cragman7

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XC 2014
  • City / Town: Wellingborough
Raising the seat height
« on: September 16, 2018, 05:54:27 PM »
Has anyone come up with a way of simply raising the seat height higher than on the top bar of the seat height adjuster .
I'm tempted to try and get something under the seat height adjuster and see if that works.
What I'm looking for is to increase the gap between foot pegs and seat due to my long legs.
I can't lower the pegs as my size 12 feet seem to hit the floor whenever I forget to ride on my toes.
If raising the height adjuster isn't possible I will look to have the seat re covered with extra height added in there.

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
Re: Raising the seat height
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 11:35:13 PM »
I'd be interested what you come up with.
I bought the high ride comfort seat but it didn't give me any "extra" room. It is more comfortable than stock but you sink into the seat that much more. My next step will be to add material to the original saddle.
I wear size 13 shoes and have not had a problem with scraping even though I have lower pegs. I did stiffen the suspension quite a bit which gives me a better street ride and much less sag.

Online Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 12:04:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by FredJ9 [+]
I'd be interested what you come up with.
I bought the high ride comfort seat but it didn't give me any "extra" room. It is more comfortable than stock but you sink into the seat that much more. My next step will be to add material to the original saddle.
I wear size 13 shoes and have not had a problem with scraping even though I have lower pegs. I did stiffen the suspension quite a bit which gives me a better street ride and much less sag.

I also have lowered pegs (2 1/8") and size 13 boots. I do occasionally scrape my boots, but it's very seldom. My suspension is set up stiff for 2 up riding of approx 500 pounds combined, with gear. At 6'4" it's a pretty comfy ride, especially with the heated comfort seat on the high front, low rear setting.
Jon

Offline Phil

• Explorer Pro
  • Phil
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Pulborough
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 06:01:11 AM »
Hi Cragman

If you can find one, try a Russel Daylong saddle.
Massive difference.

Phil  :152:

Offline mrgrumpy2

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Explorer
  • City / Town: Lincoln
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 08:46:17 AM »
Have you tried an Airhawk or similar cushion to boost seat height?
I've got my first Triumph

Online Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 10:46:32 PM »
On longer trips I use an AirHawk with an Alaska sheepskin on top of it. The two combined probably only add 3/4 to 1" total compressed height... They do make the longer rides  more tolerable though! :152:
Jon

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 02:24:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by mrgrumpy2 [+]
Have you tried an Airhawk or similar cushion to boost seat height?

Using the AirHawk "correctly" will give you zero added height.
I've been experimenting with putting foam inside the pouch, under the air bladder to give more height.

Recent Topics

nonskid