Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: shift assist  (Read 1669 times)

Offline samsunghumax

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: tiger 1200 xc
  • City / Town: jersey channel isl
shift assist
« on: September 18, 2018, 03:56:56 AM »
Hi does anybody know if shift assist would fit on a 2013 explorer xc.

Offline nuttySweeet

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: London
Re: shift assist
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 12:16:32 PM »
Shift assist is tied directly into the ECU on the Gen 3's and it is not backward compatible. You can get an aftermarket quickshifter for the explorer for clutchless up-shifts, but I haven't seen any auto-blippers for clutchless downshifts.

Offline PTwizz

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger1200XC2015
  • City / Town: Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 12:35:19 PM »
You could always go the old school route and mechanically / hydraulically link the gear lever to the clutch, so the clutch is opened whenever the gear lever is moved away from its normal , centre position.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 02:06:47 PM »
I had Texes since 2012 (20,000 km every year) and I instantly practiced my good ol' technique of clutchless upshifting (which I always used on all of my bikes), thus essentially removing the need for a shift assist of any sort.
Or so I thought.
When I took delivery of my current Mk3 (XRt) from the dealer, I tried the shifter and instantly fell in love with it. It upshifts exactly the same way as I always did (but it never fails ;-) and, now that I ceased to instinctively press the clutch lever, it does the same when downshifting. A true value item!

On a Mk1/2, I'm afraid you'll have to practice.
(plus you'll save you much money in the process ;-)

Offline Rooster

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Droitwich
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 10:42:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by samsunghumax [+]
Hi does anybody know if shift assist would fit on a 2013 explorer xc.

Hi, I fitted a Translogic Quick Shift http://www.translogicuk.com to my Gen 2 Explorer.  It’s the same type that Triumph use on the Gen 3 model.

However, it is Shift Up only and not down.   The Down bit was produced by Triumph.

I’m very happy with it, you can accelerate as hard as you like and it seamlessly shifts up through the box.  It also works well at low speed acceleration as well.

It takes around 4 hrs to fit and for me was definitely something I would not attempt myself. I had mine fitted by RRP http://www.roadandraceperformance.co.uk

It cost a shade over £600 which some will say is expensive but I felt it was worth every penny.  I get an aching wrist (old age I guess) when on a long journey particularly through town where a lot of clutch is required and it’s solved that problem for me.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 10:54:36 AM by Rooster »
Don't worry about things you can't change.

Offline samsunghumax

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: tiger 1200 xc
  • City / Town: jersey channel isl
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 07:49:08 AM »
 :062:  Thankyou for all your replies and help .

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 05:31:43 PM »
Mines upshifts fine but does not like to downshift.  It will occasionally cooperate and go down, but it's not often, most of the time the lever is locked in place and the only way it would downshift without the clutch would be to jam it down, which I refuse do.  Anyone know of a way to adjust this?

I expect I will probably have to go to the dealer with this.  For those whose assist does work, does the throttle give a blip when going down, and are you closing the throttle, holding it open... ?
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 08:05:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by pcarnut [+]
Mines upshifts fine but does not like to downshift.  It will occasionally cooperate and go down, but it's not often, most of the time the lever is locked in place and the only way it would downshift without the clutch would be to jam it down, which I refuse do.  Anyone know of a way to adjust this?

I expect I will probably have to go to the dealer with this.  For those whose assist does work, does the throttle give a blip when going down, and are you closing the throttle, holding it open... ?
Mine is excellent on downshift and requires no effort. When changing down I have the throttle closed and it does autoblip. Depending on what revs you are doing the blip can be imperceptible (because you were revmatching yourself for instance) or quite obvious, but never extreme. A trip to the dealer does sound in order. I bet it just requires the link adjusting.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 08:07:36 PM by XCaTel »

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 04:27:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
Mine is excellent on downshift and requires no effort. When changing down I have the throttle closed and it does autoblip. Depending on what revs you are doing the blip can be imperceptible (because you were revmatching yourself for instance) or quite obvious, but never extreme. A trip to the dealer does sound in order. I bet it just requires the link adjusting.
  Good info, I'll pass this on to the dealer.  When I bought the bike it was the first one they'd had with this feature and none of us quite knew how it would work.  The mechanic, after setting up the bike and doing a short test ride, said it only worked on upshifts so for quite a while I thought it was normal, obviously not, thanks.
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline wrinkley

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Beverley
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 06:26:17 AM »
Can get the odd jerky upshift, but downshift is absolutely seamless on my Gen3. Love it, for me it's the best upgrade on the bike, although I do rather like the TFT screen now I'm used to it.

Recent Topics

nonskid