Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: engine heat  (Read 655 times)

Offline tommy tiger

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2017 1200 tiger
  • City / Town: Halstead
engine heat
« on: September 19, 2018, 04:30:13 PM »
hello, i had heard about engine heat onto the rider, but riding around in sub 20 degrees not a problem, however we were in the south of france last week 33 degrees , my 1200 xc electric screen model. did me no favours at all most uncomfortable, how do riders manage in really hot countries, it would appear this bike can only be used in northern countries in winter ?, unless of course you know better.

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
Re: engine heat
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 05:59:55 PM »
There are plenty of us that have unbearable heat problems but not all of us. The problem can be with every generation.
For me, it's pretty bad in the summer months, I live in a desert climate. I just don't ride when it's real hot. It's only 2-3 months a year with some breaks of cooler weather. Ride early in the morning and that's it.
Even if the bike put out zero heat, it would still be miserable where I live.

Offline organaphus

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: explorer
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 06:06:23 PM »
Have just enjoyed the terrific weather in the U.K., this summer and clocked up thousands of miles. Can't remember a moment when the engine heat was a problem. It might be the insulation value of my ancient leather pants, or perhaps a tad of reptile in my D.N.A.

Offline tommy tiger

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2017 1200 tiger
  • City / Town: Halstead
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 06:19:38 PM »
hello, fredj9 just as i thought, the bike needs a redesign i forgot to mention the fuel this bike guzzled at between 80-95 mph it would have cost the same in an e class, or maybe less, its a deal breaker for me i dont think the weather should dictate when i ride. roll on winter... 

Offline Tiger T.O.

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 16 Cranberry Red XRt
  • City / Town: Loosdrecht
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 06:48:03 PM »
See the topic: https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,17249.200.html

Last weekend played around with some friends in the Eifel and Mosel region in Germany.
With daily temperatures around 22 degrees Celsius and after a days ride, between 200 and 300 kms, the tank still gets warm but not boiling anymore :028: Happy with the result  :002:
There are two kinds of people, those saying the glass is half full and those saying the glass is half empty. But the world really belongs to the ones that say “That’s not my glass! My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!”             Terry Pratchett  R.I.P.

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 02:42:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by tommy tiger [+]
hello, fredj9 just as i thought, the bike needs a redesign i forgot to mention the fuel this bike guzzled at between 80-95 mph it would have cost the same in an e class, or maybe less, its a deal breaker for me i dont think the weather should dictate when i ride. roll on winter...

Let me be clear.
I'm not going to be comfortable (I ride for pleasure) with any bike when it's 37C+.
Just like most who store their bikes during the snow season, I won't ride when its miserable for me. In my case it's heat, not cold. I can ride all winter, it rarely gets below freezing.

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 02:54:30 AM »
I have been in 43C (110F) and didn't have any issue with engine heat.  I really don't understand where this comes from.  Now I do have risers on the bike so when I sit on the bike my back is against the passenger seat so maybe if I was closer to the tank I might feel it.  I have pegs that lower my feet about an inch so that might change the angle of my legs enough I don't feel it.   It could be also I have had air cooled bikes in the past so in my formative years I drove machines that were a nuclear reactors between my legs so anything water cooled doesn't bother me. 

Offline Slaine

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
  • City / Town: Lippstadt
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 07:10:18 AM »
Oh no, not this again!!!

Offline Benchmark

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2018 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Halifax