Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Removing TPMS  (Read 576 times)

Offline Taff2097

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Aberystwyth-Bontgoch
Removing TPMS
« on: October 03, 2018, 07:09:40 PM »
Advice needed please. I have the 2012 Launch edition Explorer, that came with the Tyre Pressure Monitors. The battery in the front one has finally gone, having lasted since first fitment! Anyway I have never really used them as I don't find them that accurate. My question is can I just have them removed by my tyre fitter and if so will that mean the warning light will stay illuminated as it is now or will the complete removal of both sensors cure it.
I live in Rural Mid Wales and am roughly just over a 100 miles from the nearest dealerships, Bevans one way or Woods the other, so trying to avoid that if possible. Is it that simple, has anyone removed theirs before? I was told it is a sealed unit so not just as easy as changing the battery, would have to buy new sensors. So thought I would just remove them??

Any constructive thoughts please?
Launch Edition in Blue - Gold Wheels, Hand-guards, Touring Screen with Batzen Bracket, Heated Grips, SW Motech Crash Bars, Panniers, Fog Lights, Aluminium Belly Guard, Trekker Top box, Carbon hugger, Radiator Cover, Bar Risers , mirror extenders, Carbon front mudguard, Crash bungs front and rear, Fuel Exhaust, Zumo 660lm and a recovered and extra padded seat!.

Offline consono

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Oldenzaal
Re: Removing TPMS
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 08:19:50 PM »
When changing the rear tire my sensor was killed.
After a few kilometers a bright red LED was lit, a fault with tpms
I went to the triumph dealer because the tpms sensors have to be removed from the system. Only then you drive around without an error message.
Then again, the dealer did it for free....  :152:

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 10:49:10 PM »

Offline T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer & 800XC
  • City / Town: English Riviera
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 12:35:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by Taff2097 [+]
Advice needed please. I have the 2012 Launch edition Explorer, that came with the Tyre Pressure Monitors. The battery in the front one has finally gone, having lasted since first fitment! Anyway I have never really used them as I don't find them that accurate. My question is can I just have them removed by my tyre fitter and if so will that mean the warning light will stay illuminated as it is now or will the complete removal of both sensors cure it.
I live in Rural Mid Wales and am roughly just over a 100 miles from the nearest dealerships, Bevans one way or Woods the other, so trying to avoid that if possible. Is it that simple, has anyone removed theirs before? I was told it is a sealed unit so not just as easy as changing the battery, would have to buy new sensors. So thought I would just remove them??

Any constructive thoughts please?
If your Explorer is a launch edition (same as mine) then the TPMS sensors are not sealed and the batteries can be replaced quite easily. I use the TPMS all the time and find them very accurate on my Explorer. I finally replaced the original battery in my rear sensor a few weeks ago while changing the tyre and will be replacing the front one shortly.

While playing with the ECU etc for TigerTool I found out how to disable the TPMS from the instrument display and menu, but never added the feature to the latest version of TigerTool.

The tyre pressure, temperature & battery status information is sent from the sensors to the immobiliser via a radio signal then to the instruments over the CAN bus. The instruments then display the relevant information and/or warnings.

If you just remove the TPMS sensors you won't cure the warnings. Ideally you also need to clear any stored DTCs and disable the TPMS from the instrument menu.

...Desire ends in satisfaction...

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Member
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 11:14:08 PM »
My TPMS reading never matches what my old fashioned gauge indicates- I check with my gauge, than adjust that in my head to what the TPMS reads.  I think they disagree by 3-5 PSI when cold.

To me, the value of the TPMS isn't checking my pressures while going down the road; it's the early warning you get when you have a problem whilst out for a ride.

So far this season I have had my TPMS warning go off three times due to punctured tires.  Each time it, it warned me before I noted any handling issues or had any sudden, bigger problems.

I would change the battery or install a new sensor if it were me.  :027:
Behold, the MaidenCruiser!

Offline eps

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 10:19:59 PM »
Agree the TPMS is a useful accessory - I've had 2 rear punctures on my bike and the early warning is useful. That said I've replaced the batteries in my monitors after they continued to light up the dash due to LO BATT warnings. They are a bit temperamental and stupidly expensive to replace- but I'm a tight fisted git lol !!  :001:

Offline Wiliam

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 17 xrt
  • City / Town: Henderson, KY
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 04:01:31 AM »
yep, has a puncture in rear tire going 75 miles per hour down interstate. Warning light gave me plenty of time to get off roadway before handling became an issue, of course is was not a major puncture, but by time i got slowed down and off road tire was practically flat. I'm glad I have TPMS.

Offline eps

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 10:50:39 PM »
Whilst tyre pressure monitors are great in a bike , what annoys me is that my Japanese car has the same system - done 125k on them - never had an issue - why can't Triumph do the same ??

Offline VonZipper

• Explorer Member