Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Mk3 stranded!  (Read 10773 times)

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: Mk3 stranded!
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2018, 05:54:30 PM »
Thanks for this clue, but I don't see a loose ground causing the bike refusing to power up, while delivering normal power to the front accessory socket.
Or else the main CPU is VERY sensitive to glitches!

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2018, 06:09:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Thanks for this clue, but I don't see a loose ground causing the bike refusing to power up, while delivering normal power to the front accessory socket.
I would say plenty of mechanics have been caught out by a live circuit with full voltage seemingly being ok. Often a connection is so poor it can't carry enough current to power the device, whatever it is, but the circuit shows good voltage. A broken cable buried in a loom with one copper strand intact will quite happily sit there and show 12v-14v on a circuit but be quite useless. Really hope you get to the bottom of this as sooon as.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2018, 11:16:36 PM »
It's possible. If other Gen3 bikes are leaving the factory with bad ground connections, it could be the cause of your grief too.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online RaglandT

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tigers 800xc-1200XRT
  • City / Town: San Francisco
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2018, 05:21:20 AM »

The EMU/CPU/ECM is surprisingly strange in how it handles low voltages.

I was running my Sprint 955 with a dead stator for about 2,000 miles back from South Dakota and had plenty of chance to see how decreasing voltage was handled by the CPU.  First to go was the low fuel warning light.  That would eventually trigger a MIL.  Then the tail light went, but brake lights stayed functional.  Then the dash and headlights and finally the bike.  This pattern was consistent for days on end. 

Given how much more complicated and interconnected the electronics are in newer bikes, nothing would surprise me as to what causes what when...  And the new gen has me more than a little nervous.   Personally, I am still in suspense every time I try to start the 1200 - and pleasantly delighted that it does.  I wistfully wonder if I should have stuck to my old-school carburated Trophy 900.  But then my car has the same level of technology as the Tiger and I don't give it a second thought ...

Hope you get your bike back sorted out.  One ride ought to make you forgive its little peculiarities ...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 05:24:35 AM by RaglandT »

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2018, 06:18:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by RaglandT [+]
But then my car has the same level of technology as the Tiger and I don't give it a second thought ...

Correct - and that's my resignation with the fact that I am riding a computer more than a machine - same with my car; and I like it. Am I worried, yeah - but it is what it is.

I actually trust Triumph more than Audi  :008:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2018, 05:52:44 AM »
 :0461:
As much as I sympathise with NiK on this, I think his problem is likely just a fault, not a mk3 design thing.
The area that should be improved, is Triump's response to failure of a just-purchased  bike, and their flagship current model to boot.

As I stated earlier, a simple open-circuit somewhere could be the cause.  Difficult to find.

My T1200 has now done around 11kkm, with no issues that put me off the bike, or make me regret upgrading from mk1 to mk3.
I'm pulling out of my round-Oz trip, and shipping the bike home.  No fault of the bike.  We've just decided that low 40's is too hot to ride and sight-see in, over the long bare distances we'd have ahead of us.  (Forecast 43, and likely to get hotter.)  Could be life-threatening.  -And my riding partner feels the heat more than I do.
Highest I've ridden in has been 38C, which was actually OK, if a bit uncomfortable, with a heavy jacket and thick pants on (draggin' jeans).
At that temperature, the bike heat wasn't excessive, and at no time did I think the bike was worried by heat.
Whenever I looked at the temperature bar-graph, it was in the middle (whatever temp that is).

Sorry NiK, it's not the brand & model, its just your particular machine.  Good luck with it.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2018, 09:36:20 AM »
Thanks guys for your insights.

I understand that power surges are managed by fuses, but low power situations would shut the whole system down? Seriously?
I just wouldn't accept that a system can be shut down by a single degraded circuit. That's no way to ensure high availability.

Fortunately, airplanes aren't designed this way (or so I hope)!

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2018, 05:28:27 PM »
I just wouldn't accept that a system can be shut down by a single degraded circuit.
I guess that it depends on the circuit. If the supply is good enough to get past the gatekeeper(s) but not good enough for some key function, then you would have an unexpected fault.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2018, 09:21:22 AM »
I know how it can (not) work. I simply don’t agree with the idea of leaving ‘unexpected faults’ in a vehicle system.

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2018, 12:05:23 PM »
So 50 days since your bike first had this issue. Is it still down or is there some progress being made ? 

Recent Topics

nonskid