Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Mk3 stranded!  (Read 3903 times)

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Re: Mk3 stranded!
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2018, 03:03:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
I don't think so. The tech in Chief keeps telling me that he's personally working on my bike (and I won't put a webcam on him to check if he's lying).

I hope you're right.

In my case I was told "we're working on it now" so I demanded to see evidence of this. They refused so I called them liars. They then accused me of slander, so I went to the managing director and told him I knew they were lying about "we're working on it now" because my bike wasn't even in the workshop........in fact I'd seen it upstairs in their warehouse from the top of the double decker bus I'd arrived on! There followed an "interesting" interview with the workshop manager in the MD's office! I left on a loan bike (totally unheard of in those days) with an assurance my bike would be fixed or the unemployment figures were going to rise by one!

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2018, 03:47:41 PM »
And I bet you made yourself a new friend on that very day!

Just rang the dealer and, you guessed it: "we're working on it".

Two weeks and a half in the workshop and what did they do until now? They removed the alarm and plugged a new dash in. "Complete system reset ongoing".
Even being conservative, I'd guess one working day and a half to do that. Not 8...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 03:50:17 PM by NiK »

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2018, 04:31:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
I'll ring said clueless dealer this afternoon and ask me to explain how on Earth Triumph France can say that my bike has an alarm problem while I thought this part had been ruled out two weeks ago.
Nik, did you see this:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,16659.msg198881.html#msg198881
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2018, 05:26:31 PM »
I would be suprised if it was the alarm, my January 2018 bike came with a week 44, 2017 date stamp, well passed the affected date. It is an easy one to check though so worth doing. If there is one thing myself and Nik had in common is that we have tapped into the wiring to power something else. In my case it was to power a SW-Motech powered tank ring (Triumph dealer did it) and Nik with his extra rear lights. At the very least I would suggest anyone who wants extra power fits a fuseblock/relay combo of some sort directly to the battery rather than tapping in to any part of the CANBUS loom (I'm sure loads of power blocs are mentioned on the forum somewhere). At least that way you can totally discount your own wiring as a cause in the event of an issue.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2018, 05:26:58 PM »
Yes I did.
My alarm is not Triumph’s but was installed by the dealer. Same model as my 2 previous Texes.
Actually, Triumph France’s representative didn’t understand a thing! The mech told him he was about to remove the alarm and the sales guy retained only the idea of a third party component fault!

I still had no one seeming to understand anything...

And the shop is now closed and unsurprisingly no news. Now that’s a long system reset!

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2018, 05:33:00 PM »
XCaTel, my tapping was to trigger the fuseblock, itself fed by a direct battery connection.
And it has worked perfectly for days. Still, I removed everything before getting the bike to the dealer.
I too thought that it could be the culprit, but frankly a small power draw from the rear lights combo shouldn’t be able to fry anything! Even a huge short circuit should blow a fuse before damaging anything electronic.
Or is there no one knowing his job at Triumph?!

Offline Givusaclue

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer, vfr, drz
  • City / Town: Boston
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2018, 09:54:14 PM »
hmm.
seems quite protracted, sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees, i would first of all totally disconnect the alarm, if that doesn't help & as they're triumph dealers can't they (assuming they've got one) borrow an ecu & ignition barrel & transponder ring off another s/hand bike & just connect them to the loom, no need to fully install them, if it doesn't start then out with the oscilloscope & wiring diagram. but as they've already covered most of these points allegedly keep the no. for triumph uk handy.

i would've thought french technicians would be good at electronic glitches as all the cars they produce are riddled with them, should be second nature

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2018, 10:48:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Givusaclue [+]
i would've thought french technicians would be good at electronic glitches as all the cars they produce are riddled with them, should be second nature
:008:  Question asked and answered.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2018, 08:57:13 AM »
No.
They're experts in French sh!t. This is English sh!t.
{c8

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2018, 04:36:06 PM »
Sidebar question: are there any French motorcycle manufacturers?  :187:

Recent Topics

nonskid