Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Are you still using main dealer servicing after a few years?  (Read 1760 times)

Offline FellZebra

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Cheshire
Are you still using main dealer servicing after a few years?
« on: September 26, 2018, 06:45:11 AM »
Hi
My 2012 is ready for it's 40k service.
Who uses main dealer servicing on relatively older bikes?
Yes they'll do the job correctly and get the dealer stamp in the handbook but it's expensive. First few years I wouldn't have questioned it for the importance of a upto date dealer stamped history book in the event of resale. Although now probably keeping a bit longer
Or do you use your local mechanic? Not all local mechanics have the exact Triumph training / know how?
Lots of riders do their own I know. For me, quite capable of basic stuff- brakes, oil etc but not got the capabilities for the throttle bodies / valves etc

Online pug27

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Explorer
  • City / Town: Thirsk
Re: Are you still using main dealer servicing after a few years?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 08:04:27 AM »
A lot of people seem to use this guy

https://www.muddysump.com

I too will do most of the stuff at home, but like you I wont be touching the more complicated stuff like valves and fully intend to use muddy sump. His prices seem quite good compared to main dealers.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 04:12:33 PM »
My experience is that the authorized dealers often do not provide the level of service that you would expect for the higher prices. They don't even stamp your book here. As soon as the vehicle is out of warranty I do my own regular maintenance. I have a backup non-dealer motorcycle shop for doing things like pressing new wheel bearings into wheels and changing tires etc.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 11:18:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by pug27 [+]
I wont be touching the more complicated stuff like valves

The valves just take a long time because you have to shift so much stuff to get the valve cover off. They are not particularly complicated once you are in there. You just need a couple of unusual tools - a 3mm Allen key on a 12" extension to undo the clamp on the rubber of the inner injector, and a rod (7mm I think) which is used to hold the crank shaft in position when you remove the cam shafts. But it's fine if you prefer to leave that stuff. Personally it's greasing the head bearings which I prefer to avoid.

Offline FellZebra

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 09:41:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by pug27 [+]
A lot of people seem to use this guy

https://www.muddysump.com

I too will do most of the stuff at home, but like you I wont be touching the more complicated stuff like valves and fully intend to use muddy sump. His prices seem quite good compared to main dealers.

Yes I've heard good reports too, and have been in touch with him to find out more

*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
My experience is that the authorized dealers often do not provide the level of service that you would expect for the higher prices. They don't even stamp your book here. As soon as the vehicle is out of warranty I do my own regular maintenance. I have a backup non-dealer motorcycle shop for doing things like pressing new wheel bearings into wheels and changing tires etc.

Disappointing not to get first class standard of work from a dealer considering the prices charged. A good non-dealer mechanic would be an asset

*Originally Posted by unsubtle [+]
The valves just take a long time because you have to shift so much stuff to get the valve cover off. They are not particularly complicated once you are in there. You just need a couple of unusual tools - a 3mm Allen key on a 12" extension to undo the clamp on the rubber of the inner injector, and a rod (7mm I think) which is used to hold the crank shaft in position when you remove the cam shafts. But it's fine if you prefer to leave that stuff. Personally it's greasing the head bearings which I prefer to avoid.

Yes I'm definitely leaning towards getting someone else for those jobs

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 12:32:54 PM »
Largely depends on how much and how regularly you ride, which dealer you use and how well you get on with them.

I've been using Staffs Triumph for about six years now, I get good service, good prices and a good trade in when the time comes, I also get a free play on whatever nice loaners they have in for the day when my bike's being serviced  :001:

I run my bike for 9-10 months of the year commuting and whenever I feel like it on the weekends throughout the year, I view servicing as just another running cost like tax and insurance, though I can't say I'm looking forward to its first 20,000 mile service  :021:

If you want to go to an independent then you will most likely pay less, but make sure you get good feedback/ recommendations (like Muddysump) before parting with your well earned  :028:

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 04:55:13 PM »
I've done all my own servicing from almost day one. After getting charged $180 for the first service (basically an oil change) I decided not to throw any more money down the toilet, and l've been using Marks excellent maintenance manual ever since

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 05:51:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
Largely depends on how much and how regularly you ride, which dealer you use and how well you get on with them.
It would be nice to have a choice of dealers.  :021:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline electroken

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer
  • City / Town: Shelton, CT
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 01:13:35 PM »
My intention is to do all maintenance myself. A shim-under-bucket valve train is tedious to adjust but it won't be the first one I've done. DealerTool and TigerTool have already been acquired. Now all I need to do is ride this thing.  :001:

Offline FellZebra

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2018, 05:02:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by ijinak [+]
I've done all my own servicing from almost day one. After getting charged $180 for the first service (basically an oil change) I decided not to throw any more money down the toilet, and l've been using Marks excellent maintenance manual ever since

Yes I've got Marks maintenance manual too. Its very good and use it regularly but know my limitations for the more complex stuff.

Recent Topics

nonskid