Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Clutch action  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Letemfly

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Driffield
Re: Clutch action
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2019, 11:35:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by unsubtle [+]
Ok, so why not just fit adjustable levers? That's exactly what they are for. These are the ones I use on my Mk 1. There are only a small number of different lever designs in use, so it shouldn't be difficult to find levers to fit even if the Mk2/3 are different from the Mk 1.

Thanks, may give those a try  :152:

Offline wrinkley

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Beverley
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2019, 03:59:06 PM »
Well, I've been giving this some thought. I've come to the conclusion that the problem with the Gen 3 bikes could be the lighter flywheel. Simply not enough inertia to give a smooth clutch feed.

I remember back in 2013 when BMW introduced the W/c GS there where lots of problems with the clutch ( plus a myriad of other things). In the end they put this down to a lighter flywheel and reintroduced a heavier flywheel on the 2015 model.

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2019, 10:39:48 PM »
I agree my gen3 clutch is a bit grabby.  But I prefer it to the stiffer clutch on the gen1.  Easier to pull in, so less wearing on the hand over time.  As I get older, little things like that become more important.

Offline Letemfly

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Driffield
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 10:45:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by wrinkley [+]
Well, I've been giving this some thought. I've come to the conclusion that the problem with the Gen 3 bikes could be the lighter flywheel. Simply not enough inertia to give a smooth clutch feed.

I remember back in 2013 when BMW introduced the W/c GS there where lots of problems with the clutch ( plus a myriad of other things). In the end they put this down to a lighter flywheel and reintroduced a heavier flywheel on the 2015 model.

Not sure I agree regarding the lighter flywheel. This was changed on the gen 3 and I had same clutch problem on the gen 2 and hoped that the problem would have been resolved on the gen 3

A lighter flywheel would in theory require higher revs when engaging clutch when setting off to overcome the reduced flywheel momentum produced by the lighter flywheel. I doubt this would affect the clutch engagement point. In any case the reduction in flywheel weight was very minor. I say that from experience of changing flywheel on my Caterham style kit car where I reduced flywheel weight from 10 kilos to 4 kilos. This definitely required more revs but was still smooth on takeoff, and a hell of a lot faster too hitting 0 to 62 in just under 4 seconds  :007:

Offline wrinkley

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2019, 05:53:40 AM »
I haven't got anything to compare my current clutch problem with. On both my Gen1 and Gen2 the clutch was absolutely fine. I can make my Gen3 pull away smoothly, but only in a straight line with lots of revs. The real problem is trying to pull out of junctions rapidly or going up a tight hairpin, where the clutch needs to be finessed a little. Which is what made me think flywheel.

0-62 in under 4 secs with your arse that close to the ground. I bet that felt rapid. :007:

Offline wrinkley

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2019, 08:52:28 AM »
After some research I decided to give a set of cheap levers a go. My levers arrived yesterday, piece of cake to fit, and have pretty much transformed my management of the clutch. No more juddering on exiting junctions, much more manageable in traffic.

MZS levers. I think they where £29. Shorter lever, greater dogleg, more adjustment. To be honest they feel much more comfortable than the stock item.
Quality looks good, time will tell.

Recent Topics