Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Clutch action  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Letemfly

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Driffield
Re: Clutch action
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2019, 11:35:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by unsubtle [+]
Ok, so why not just fit adjustable levers? That's exactly what they are for. These are the ones I use on my Mk 1. There are only a small number of different lever designs in use, so it shouldn't be difficult to find levers to fit even if the Mk2/3 are different from the Mk 1.

Thanks, may give those a try  :152:

Offline wrinkley

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Beverley
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2019, 03:59:06 PM »
Well, I've been giving this some thought. I've come to the conclusion that the problem with the Gen 3 bikes could be the lighter flywheel. Simply not enough inertia to give a smooth clutch feed.

I remember back in 2013 when BMW introduced the W/c GS there where lots of problems with the clutch ( plus a myriad of other things). In the end they put this down to a lighter flywheel and reintroduced a heavier flywheel on the 2015 model.

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2019, 10:39:48 PM »
I agree my gen3 clutch is a bit grabby.  But I prefer it to the stiffer clutch on the gen1.  Easier to pull in, so less wearing on the hand over time.  As I get older, little things like that become more important.

Offline Letemfly

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Driffield
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 10:45:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by wrinkley [+]
Well, I've been giving this some thought. I've come to the conclusion that the problem with the Gen 3 bikes could be the lighter flywheel. Simply not enough inertia to give a smooth clutch feed.

I remember back in 2013 when BMW introduced the W/c GS there where lots of problems with the clutch ( plus a myriad of other things). In the end they put this down to a lighter flywheel and reintroduced a heavier flywheel on the 2015 model.

Not sure I agree regarding the lighter flywheel. This was changed on the gen 3 and I had same clutch problem on the gen 2 and hoped that the problem would have been resolved on the gen 3

A lighter flywheel would in theory require higher revs when engaging clutch when setting off to overcome the reduced flywheel momentum produced by the lighter flywheel. I doubt this would affect the clutch engagement point. In any case the reduction in flywheel weight was very minor. I say that from experience of changing flywheel on my Caterham style kit car where I reduced flywheel weight from 10 kilos to 4 kilos. This definitely required more revs but was still smooth on takeoff, and a hell of a lot faster too hitting 0 to 62 in just under 4 seconds  :007:

Offline wrinkley

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Beverley
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2019, 05:53:40 AM »
I haven't got anything to compare my current clutch problem with. On both my Gen1 and Gen2 the clutch was absolutely fine. I can make my Gen3 pull away smoothly, but only in a straight line with lots of revs. The real problem is trying to pull out of junctions rapidly or going up a tight hairpin, where the clutch needs to be finessed a little. Which is what made me think flywheel.

0-62 in under 4 secs with your arse that close to the ground. I bet that felt rapid. :007:

Recent Topics

nonskid