Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Clutch action  (Read 2839 times)

Offline Tigraid

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '16 R1200GSA
  • City / Town: Dursley
Clutch action
« on: September 28, 2018, 07:33:32 PM »
Is it normal for the clutch on a Gen 1 to bite very close to being fully out? I noticed that on a recent trip, since my 10K service, mine bites within 20mm of the fully out position and I swear it was biting further in beforehand...does anyone know if there's any way to adjust this, as I don't like so small or late a bite where clutch control is concerned?

Offline pug27

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Explorer
  • City / Town: Thirsk
Re: Clutch action
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 08:01:54 PM »
Not sure if it’s “normal” but it’s the same on mine. I’ve got used to it now.

Offline mrgrumpy2

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Explorer
  • City / Town: Lincoln
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 09:21:39 PM »
i have a gen1, not an XC and also find the clutch action very quick and close to fully released. I have no clutch slip during normal riding.
I've got my first Triumph

Offline TEXICO

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 2013
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 01:59:33 AM »
I also have gen1 and have noticed the same. Have got used to it and quite like the minimum of lever pull to change gear

Offline Tigraid

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 04:11:31 PM »
Thanks guys,  I guess it's pretty normal then....don't know why I seemed to have a bit more travel pre-service (my imagination probably  :008:). I can't see how it might be possible to adjust a hydraulic clutch without changing the slave cylinder push-rod.

Offline TTruckie

• Explorer Member
  • XCa in 'fastest' White
  • Bike: Explorer XCa '16
  • City / Town: Swindon
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 10:22:54 PM »
yeah it is normal on Gen 1 and 2.  It annoyed me so much that I modified the lever.  I drilled the hole that holds the brass pin a little deeper.

A 10 min job that made the bike much more ridable
TTruckie

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 12:15:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by Tigraid [+]
I can't see how it might be possible to adjust a hydraulic clutch without changing the slave cylinder push-rod.

Get an adjustable clutch lever from eBay - it's one of the first changes I made. I'm afraid I can't point you at a specific model as my purchase history only goes back to 2016, but they are not difficult to find. Just be aware that if you bring the bite point further towards the handlebar, putting it in to first gear with a cold engine will give a bit more of a bang.

Offline Battlestar

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XCA
  • City / Town: Durban
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 01:02:20 PM »
My Gen 2 XCA also releases right at the end of the stroke. I too have got used to it but is one of the very few gripes I have about the bike.

Offline Tigraid

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 02:16:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by unsubtle [+]
Get an adjustable clutch lever from eBay - it's one of the first changes I made. I'm afraid I can't point you at a specific model as my purchase history only goes back to 2016, but they are not difficult to find. Just be aware that if you bring the bite point further towards the handlebar, putting it in to first gear with a cold engine will give a bit more of a bang.

The standard bike already has adjustment on the lever but this in itself, aftermarket or not, won't alter the stroke length from fully engaged to fully disengaged which is the point I was trying to make.  That's a function of the slave cylinder to master cylinder volume ratio and the push rod length itself.  I guess it's just one of those things you have to learn to live with.

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 04:48:54 PM »
For me the advantage of my aftermarket levers is they have a more dog-leg shape so as the clutch bites the lever is closer to the bars & more controllable for my size hands.

Recent Topics

nonskid