Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Clutch action  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Battlestar

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XCA
  • City / Town: Durban
Re: Clutch action
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 04:57:48 PM »
I will try some aftermarket units.

Offline Tigraid

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '16 R1200GSA
  • City / Town: Dursley
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2018, 05:48:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
For me the advantage of my aftermarket levers is they have a more dog-leg shape so as the clutch bites the lever is closer to the bars & more controllable for my size hands.

Fair comment....anything that makes it more comfortable has to be good.

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 03:07:50 PM »
My new '15 which I bought last February, took some getting used to but nothing annoying really. Within a couple rides, all is well.
I did change the levers though. Went with the ASV shorties....dead sexy and very comfortable.

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 10:26:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tigraid [+]
The standard bike already has adjustment on the lever but this in itself, aftermarket or not, won't alter the stroke length from fully engaged to fully disengaged which is the point I was trying to make.  That's a function of the slave cylinder to master cylinder volume ratio and the push rod length itself.  I guess it's just one of those things you have to learn to live with.

There is a little adjustment on the standard lever, but I found it difficult to detect a difference between the positions. My aftermarket lever has a big difference with only one step of adjustment.

Offline wrinkley

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer
  • City / Town: Beverley
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2018, 06:38:10 AM »
I must say, that apart from the keyless ignition being a little temperamental at times, the clutch is the only thing I don't like about the Gen3. I never had any problem on my Gen1 or Gen2 but the biting point of the clutch on my Gen3 is within mm's of the lever being fully released. It can be very difficult to control especially when needing to exit a tight junction or going round a sharp uphill hairpin. In these situations it can induce a fairy severe clutch judder which can be a little disconcerting to say the least.

Dealer is fully aware and awaiting a response from Triumph.

Offline Swamprider

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 (2017)
  • City / Town: San José
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 04:15:29 PM »
Hello Gents, This is also one of the (few) gripes I have. :232:
For touring it is ok, but for stop and go traffic is a pain in the behind  :192:
I talked to the dealer here (in Costa Rica) and he said there's nothing they can do, I thought it included aftermarket parts.
Please let me know what works so I can try to get it in here :0

Regards,
Patrick

Offline wrinkley

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer
  • City / Town: Beverley
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 06:16:38 AM »
I spoke with a chap from Triumph at the Birmingham show a couple of weeks ago about the problems I have been experiencing with the clutch on my Gen 3 1200.
My dealer (Team Roberts) rang me yesterday to inform me a big box of clutch bits, including slave cylinder and push rod, have arrived from Triumph. The bikes booked in for Thursday morning. I'll keep you posted.

Offline Letemfly

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Driffield
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 11:30:01 AM »
Both my gen 2 and gen 3 had/have the same issue of biting point being right at end of lever travel. Just doesn't feel right and yes have sort of got used to it but still dislike it and nearly stall sometimes. Dealer has been unable to resolve as there is no adjustment.

Recent Topics

nonskid