Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tank Bags and GPS holders  (Read 701 times)

Offline Rockhopp3r

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Los Angeles
Tank Bags and GPS holders
« on: October 01, 2018, 09:40:53 PM »
What is everyone using for tank bags and GPS holders? If you can post pics, that would be awesome too. Looking for inspiration.

I like the SW Motech ring bags and had one on my GSA, but I find that they look weird unless you can get the slope to go down the tank perfectly.

Are there any tried and true bags and GPS cradles out there?

For the record, I'm on a 14 TEX.

Online pug27

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Explorer
  • City / Town: Thirsk
Re: Tank Bags and GPS holders
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 08:42:17 AM »
I have a SW Motech City bag and a GS Bag. Both have the slope that fits the bike perfectly. The GS bag is just a bigger version of the city bag. I will try and get some photos later.
As for the GPS holder I have a BATZEN bracket with the additional GPS Bracket, however, SW Motch do the additional GPS holder that attaches to the press studs on the bags.

Offline Zeebad

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 1200 XCx
  • City / Town: Stourbridge
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 02:09:20 PM »
I used a old SWMotech GS bag on the tiger 1050 I had but found it much too big on the 1200. So I got myself a Givi ST605. It's only 5 litres but I only want somewhere for ferry tickets, phone charging etc, and really don't need the extra storage from the GS bag now I have panniers that I can actually fit stuff in. The old 1050 panniers were pretty small. The tank ring is fairly unobtrusive and very good to use. Givi also do a great power kit for their tankbags that is very convenient to plug into the front power socket once modified to a hella plug.

My GPS mount is a RAM solution on the left side of the bars. I've never personally been a fan of having the satnav front and centre above the clocks.

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 02:16:26 PM »
I have two Givi lock-ring tankbags.  A big one which tapers down the fuel tank, and a small one for short day rides.
For the big one, I have plastic film on the tank, because the bag rubs against the tank.  I did have a largeish Givi tankbag which didn't do that, but it looked a bit like a pimple on a pumpkin.

On my 2015 TEx, I had my Garmin Zumo 590LM mounted above the instruments on the screen support bar, using the RAM mount that came with it.  -I like having the GPS front and centre and in the eyeline.

Offline Rockhopp3r

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Los Angeles
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 03:35:27 PM »
Thanks guys.

Would it be possible to see pictures from the side? I have this thing where I like the bag to follow the contour of the tank as much as possible. I hate it when the tank drops and the tank just keeps going straight.

I used to have the city bag and it is a great candidate for this, but it would be awesome to see a picture of it before I take the plunge.

Thanks!

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 04:53:46 PM »
SW-Motech GS EVO follows the tank contour nicely, it is a large bag suited to touring more than everyday use though, it is dear I think but good quality. It has a rubberised feel to the base to prevent scratching the tank. Having said that I did put a patch of protective film (that came with a Motech tailbag but not with the tankbag) on the tanks front edge, i.e. facing me, as the front of my jacket can rest into it on occasion, a precaution really, it may not have been needed.  A small SW-Motech Micro bag is on my Christmas shopping list for day trips.  If you want lots of angles/perspectives on the GS EVO go to YouTube and search for "Full Metal Jacket - Triumph Tiger 1200".

I purchased the powered unit but I am not convinced it is worth the premium over the non-powered, convenient but at a price. The lock kit is good value for money and gives you the internal locking pin and zip lock which when used together provide a certain level of security. Don't buy the Motech Sat Nav mount accessory, it is rubbish, I have one, pure tat.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 04:59:41 PM by XCaTel »

Online pug27

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: Thirsk
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 05:34:44 PM »
My GS and City bag.

Offline mrgrumpy2

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: Lincoln
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 06:03:51 PM »
I have just changed to a quadlock, their case fits my iphone really nicely and they can provide a ram ball connector.

I have a small givi tank bag for essentials / valuables.

I've got my first Triumph

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 09:06:57 AM »
SW-Motech Micro Tank Bag on a Gen 3. Great little bag for day use, wallet, keys etc. Now it's fitted must put it back in the bag for a bit, its my Christmas present!

Recent Topics

nonskid