Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: High RPMs  (Read 3790 times)

Offline Hoozdis

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Plano, TX
High RPMs
« on: October 06, 2018, 02:05:56 AM »
Maybe I'm not use to these bikes but 3200 RPMs at 60 mph seems too high. This can't be good for long distance rides on highways.....any thoughts?

Offline RaglandT

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tigers 800xc-1200XRT
  • City / Town: San Francisco
Re: High RPMs
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 04:06:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by Hoozdis [+]
Maybe I'm not use to these bikes but 3200 RPMs at 60 mph seems too high. This can't be good for long distance rides on highways .... .any thoughts?

1200's gearing is pretty consistent with most of the big adventure touring bikes.  Around 80 mph at 5,000 rpm.  Smaller adventure bikes are geared even higher - Tiger 800 is around 6,000 rpm at 80.

It does use up gas though ...

For comparison to see how other bikes are geared:  https://www.gearingcommander.com 

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 10:02:19 AM »
Maybe I'm not use to these bikes but 3200 RPMs at 60 mph seems too high. This can't be good for long distance rides on highways.....any thoughts?

That is low. Perhaps you are more familiar with something like Harleys? A TEX is perfectly happy sitting at 90-100mph all day.

Offline mrgrumpy2

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Explorer
  • City / Town: Lincoln
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 01:43:12 PM »

Maybe you should try riding a Honda CBF 1000 at highway speeds, you would appreciate how low revving the Tiger 1200 really is. This was one of the biggest reasons for my swap to the Triumph. With the CBF1000 the 65mph to 75 mph speed range meant 5000 to 6000 rpm, which would leave me with tingling fingers within 30 minutes of riding at these speeds.

If you really want to experience vibrations, try a Versys 650, the early mk1's are best for this...
I've got my first Triumph

Offline Hoozdis

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Plano, TX
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 02:30:54 PM »
Very informative and thank you. I do have a Harley also and it purrs at 80 mph, I guess the Harleys are made for it. I mostly bought my TEX for around town and playing on back roads anyway. I got that underlying feeling that these high rev bikes see lots of overhauls if they see a lot of highway miles.

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 03:50:53 PM »
These motors are good for 100K miles or more, easily.   With motors today the revs don't really factor into lifetime unless you are in an industrial situation where a motor runs 24X7 for long periods or it runs 10 hours a day every day.  Maintenance plays a 1000 times bigger role in motor life.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 05:21:27 PM »
That is the sweet spot for vibration on the TEX.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 06:21:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
That is the sweet spot for vibration on the TEX.

:0461: :821: :001:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 07:21:33 PM »
Very informative and thank you. I do have a Harley also and it purrs at 80 mph, I guess the Harleys are made for it. I mostly bought my TEX for around town and playing on back roads anyway. I got that underlying feeling that these high rev bikes see lots of overhauls if they see a lot of highway miles.

The Redline on your Harley is likely 6500 RPM..while the TEX is over 10,000 ..riding the TEX at 3200 RPM is  no different than riding your Harley at 2000 rpm....
These motors are meant to rev, running it at that speed will do no damage at all , and as a matter of fact, it makes its peak  torque at 6400 RPM and peak HP at 9300..

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 01:28:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
The Redline on your Harley is likely 6500 RPM..while the TEX is over 10,000 ..riding the TEX at 3200 RPM is  no different than riding your Harley at 2000 rpm....
These motors are meant to rev, running it at that speed will do no damage at all , and as a matter of fact, it makes its peak  torque at 6400 RPM and peak HP at 9300..
At your HD redline, the TEX is just starting to sing...  :821:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics

nonskid