Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: High RPMs  (Read 3843 times)

Offline Tiger Lad

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Exp 1200 xrt
  • City / Town: Chippenham
Re: High RPMs
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 09:00:59 AM »
If I remember correctly early Japanese bikes reved upto 16000 rpm and they were happy in doing that. They were known as screamers.These bikes went on did thousands of miles and no had no problems.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2018, 04:55:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tiger Lad [+]
If I remember correctly early Japanese bikes reved upto 16000 rpm and they were happy in doing that. They were known as screamers.These bikes went on did thousands of miles and no had no problems.
The Honda RC148 had a redline of 21,500 rpm. It was a 50cc twin. Not sure about longevity, but then it was a race bike.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2018, 05:32:03 PM »
3200rpm high? Is this your first bike? I had a GSXR600 which would stall if you tried moving from rest at less than 7000rpm, and you pretty much had to keep it above 10000rpm to make any progress :112:

Online Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2018, 05:38:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
The Honda RC148 had a redline of 21,500 rpm. It was a 50cc twin. Not sure about longevity, but then it was a race bike.

No problem - new engine for every race!

Back to the original theme here.......you can do just as much damage slugging along at low revs with a high rpm engine (= not using the available / manufacturers intended rpm ) as over revving a slow rpm motor. A higher rpm engine need the revs to keep the oil pump delivering the require flow, so keep the engine "on cam" in the sweet spot of the rev range (thats the rpm at which it performs as intended) and don't troll around at low rpm in a high gear.

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2018, 08:35:58 PM »
Another real world example is the 2017 (didn't go digging deep) Yamaha R6 (production version, not any special race version), they say starts pulling hard around 9K rpm, peak HP at 14.5K rpm and relines at 16.5K rpm.  People can put a ridiculous amount of miles on these things without issues.

Online Zeebad

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 1200 XCx
  • City / Town: Stourbridge
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 09:59:46 AM »
You say you bought the Tex for back roads. I'm guessing there's a fair chance you are under revving on those too. Keep the revs above half on the twisty bits and you'll be quicker, smoother and safer through them because of the control you get from improved engine braking.

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 01:41:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Zeebad [+]
You say you bought the Tex for back roads. I'm guessing there's a fair chance you are under revving on those too. Keep the revs above half on the twisty bits and you'll be quicker, smoother and safer through them because of the control you get from improved engine braking.

:0461:

:305:  :821: :821:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 02:21:29 PM »
There is always a learning curve with a new bike and its engine type.
Going from a torquey large twin to an in line four or in this case three can seem a little strange. Most of us use our ears to identify when to shift. After I broke in my TEx I was really surprised just how low the rpm's were when I shifted. You can really wring this thing up, redline almost seems to high....it's a ripper ;)
LOVE IT!!

Online NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 02:27:18 PM »
I completely agree.
Back in the days (sort of ;-), I used to redline my Tiger 1050 on a daily basis.
Since '12 and my first Tex (out of now 3) I don't do it anymore. It just doesn't provide anything useful (but when you want a wheelie ;-).

Offline eps

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2018, 11:12:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
I completely agree.
Back in the days (sort of ;-), I used to redline my Tiger 1050 on a daily basis.
Since '12 and my first Tex (out of now 3) I don't do it anymore. It just doesn't provide anything useful (but when you want a wheelie ;-).
Yep !! Totally agree - its fantastic engine !!

Recent Topics

nonskid