Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Advice for potential buyers  (Read 3024 times)

Offline FL_Explorer

• Explorer Master
  • Never take a laxative & a sleeping pill together
  • Bike: '14 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Dade City, FL
Re: Advice for potential buyers
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2018, 08:27:22 PM »
I’ve had a great time owning my 2014. It is a superb road touring machine and handles anything you throw at it. Yes, it’s too heavy. And if I make the mistake of jumping on my TEx after having spent time on my Honda CRF250L, I wonder why I own the Triumph. But that’s only because the Honda is so much smaller and lighter in comparison. The two bikes have no similarities other than two wheels under them. The transmission gears have been an issue for me, and my local dealer has been a little suspect at times but the bike is wonderful. I likely wouldn’t buy another one though. Having said that, I will add that I have zero plans on selling the one I have. I split time between my two bikes these days and the Triumph only sees road use (for the most part).  26,000 miles on it and enjoyed every one of them!
Ride safe, and ride often!
Keith

Offline thumper

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: '18 XRt
  • City / Town: California
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2018, 09:13:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by jub jub [+]
My only complaints about my 15 Tex is the top heaviness and the loud, mechanical noise it makes while cruising.

The noise you're hearing is just your Triumph running over fallen-off bits of chrome from the Harleys.       :164:   :745:
ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander.

Offline jub jub

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Central, GA
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2018, 05:31:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by thumper [+]
The noise you're hearing is just your Triumph running over fallen-off bits of chrome from the Harleys.       :164:   :745:

I should have known better by now!  :063:

Offline Tigraid

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: '16 R1200GSA
  • City / Town: Dursley
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2018, 06:56:44 AM »
Thought that the OP post was very good and honest, and I enjoyed reading it.

Couldn't agree more about the "all bikes have issues" comment, and after speaking directly with the mechanics at several dealerships (Triumph and BMW) I am satisfied that a great deal of what gets reported is not purely down to in-built unreliability but to lack of proper owner maintenance.  Having met and chatted with probably hundreds of bikers over the years, many these days seem to be leisure riders (fair weather riders?....much like I am now!) whose idea of regular maintenance is to have the annual service page stamped and the odd bike clean in between. That's never enough. Bikes aren't like most modern cars but are more susceptible to corrosion, increased wear and tear due to more exposed parts and are, by comparison, more highly strung.  To keep any machine faultless is a hiding to nothing but regular inspection, fettling, cleaning, adjustment, annual or more regular oil changes (mileage dependant) ditto filter and air cleaner and all the regular checks to head off issues before they become problems all help.  I also think that due to the nature of modern bikes, especially those that may get loaded up like mules and thrashed like sports bikes, that a degree of realism of cost of ownership has to be present.  They're going to cost more to keep on the road than a little commuter bike.

As to the Tiger's Achilles heal...the OP reported feelings about the weight. I'm about the same height but with a longer instep, and no 9 stone weakling but the pottering around, two up or with full luggage (or both) got the better of me in the end.  What started out as a minor niggle became a major issue on several longer rides and tours, resulting on one in old arm injuries and back injuries flaring up.  That was the final straw for me, and with a heavy heart, I traded my Tiger for a 2016 GSA and haven't really looked back.  I still rate and love that sumptuous triple engine and the care and attention to deign and build of the Tigers, still rate their handling, especially on A-road twisties but for me, the ubiquitous GS which I never wanted to like, won me over with its easy peasy low speed manners.  Despite the increased seat height, I manage, even with luggage and the engine gives away little to nothing in the real world.

If Triumph could manage to design and build a triple ADV bike that kept its weight lower, I'd be back on one like a flash. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 06:58:35 AM by Tigraid »

Offline eps

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2018, 07:03:49 PM »
Agree with much of that - regular maitenance is essential on any bike if you ride all year round and do a bit of mileage. Some of my mates ride about 1000 miles a year - an annual service is probably ok - but I do about 7k a year - stay on top of it and its been totally reliable.

I get used to the weight once on move - as long as you enjoy your bike then each to their own.  :002:

Offline Triple3

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: sprintst1050
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2018, 11:39:29 AM »
Had a test ride 2up very impressed. Makes the ST1050 seem uncomfortable, although I could feel it was top heavy once on the move it was fine. Time to do the sums.

Offline SimonTEX

• Explorer Member
  • Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?
  • Bike: 2018 TEX1200 XCX
  • City / Town: Corsham
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2018, 03:19:50 PM »
I am in a similar position to the OP , I also have bargain 2018 MK2 xcx. In the first week I had serious doubts about handling the bikes size and weight.  but then fitted a lowering kit and sw upper crash bars and this made me feel much more confident overall and it's now grown on me to the point where i would say it's the best bike ive ever had. so luckily it's turned out OK , could have been an expensive mistake. test rides are all very well but it's in the weeks  and months after you really find out if a bikes right for you.

Recent Topics