Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Advice for potential buyers  (Read 5055 times)

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Advice for potential buyers
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2019, 04:02:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dorsetbiker [+]
  I’ve been put off a lowering kit by my dealer who would be only too pleased to charge me for fitting one but pointed out that this would compromise handling as it interferes with the suspension geometry. 
Great you got sorted with an imaginative solution.  :047:   As long as the front forks are done in conjunction with the rear lowering kit the handling shouldn't be affected however.

Offline SimonTEX

• Explorer Member
  • Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?
  • Bike: 2018 TEX1200 XCX
  • City / Town: Corsham
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2019, 04:43:58 PM »
the 20mm lowering kit is a good compromise in conjunction with the low seat and doesn't upset the handling as long as the forks are lowered accordingly. the centre stand is a little harder to use but with an extra pair of hands still manageable. I think the 40mm kit may be make it impossible without shortening the centre stand which i didnt want to do in case I want to return it back to the standard height. 20mm doesnt sound like much but is enough. I think the factory low version would be the way to go if it werent. 

Offline R.

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: XRX 1200
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2019, 07:59:30 PM »
Well , I have a 2017 XRX Low (I am 170cm high with short legs) , I have acquired the low seat but do not actually use it.
It is not the height of the seat but the width that actually makes it hard to touch the ground. I often put the bike in offroad mode , it lowers the suspension
considerably and for me the riding mode changes suit me well ;

Front Brake Lever Operation - If the front brake lever is operated only, the partially integrated braking system will also apply a small amount of rear brake as described in Braking on page 151.
In this situation, the level of ABS intervention is optimised for offroad riding for both front and rear wheels.

Rear Brake Pedal Operation - If the rear brake pedal is operated at any point, all rear braking input will be controlled directly by the rear
brake pedal. Operating the rear brake pedal will override any rear braking input applied by the partially integrated braking system,
through use of the front brake lever. In this situation, the level of ABS intervention is optimised for off-road riding for the front wheel,
but the rear wheel will be allowed to lock under heavy braking. Use of the rear brake pedal alone will only apply the rear brake and the rear wheel will be allowed to lock under heavy braking.
The ABS warning light will flash slowly.

Off-Road - TC is set up for off-road use, allowing increased rear wheel slip when compared to the Rain, Road and Sport settings. The TC indicator light will flash slowly.

Which for me resembles a  more normal bike (I am old).

Disadvantage : I touch the ground with the foot rests a lot :-(

Note , this does help with the high end top weigth and manoeuvering at slow speed , but when driving hairpins you still need big balls to 'fall into the' corner quickly (both my GS and R1200R buddies have lower point of gravity and
can do this quicker , bloody bastards :-) )

R.

Recent Topics

nonskid