Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Advice for potential buyers  (Read 3176 times)

Offline stealingbacktime

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 1200 XRx Cobalt blue
  • City / Town: Holmefirth
Re: Advice for potential buyers
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 09:50:03 PM »
I love my Tiger  :100: :306:….just saying
3 of the 4 voices keep telling me to go to sleep...the 4th voice wants to know if penguins have knees....

Offline itchyfeet

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Graphite TEX
  • City / Town: Stonehenge
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 08:15:09 PM »
Ha, a good OP.
                     I think thats an inherent problem with a lot of forums. While most offer excellent advice, peace of mind, comeraderie and a shared sense of pride, unfortunately most posts are written when a problem occurs or perhaps a negative point of view. Many of us just read and rarely post as personally I'm exteremely happy with my 14 plate Gen 1 so dont feel I have anything to talk about. You'd all get bored with "another perfect 60 mile commute today" type of post. For me an awful lot of posts talk about the TEX being very top heavy or too tall, but again there must be an awful lot of us, me included over 6ft tall in excess of 17st where this is also not a concern. So one mans negativity is not everyone's.
                    I've been riding bikes for the last 33 years and have in all that time never been without one.I never put my bikes away in the winter as here in the u.k I can pretty much ride everyday. For the last 16 years I've had Triumph's. Sometimes two different marks together, sometimes two Triumphs.
                      This forum is by far the most helpful I've ever been a member of even though I dont post much, I just search. There must be loads like me, happy in their relative obscurity and happy with their bikes. Ride safe.

Offline RaglandT

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tigers 800xc-1200XRT
  • City / Town: San Francisco
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 09:15:30 PM »
So much depends on the intended use and not relying on just rankings.  I watched / read all the reviews of the T1200 and competitive bikes - KTM, Ducati, BMW, Super10, etc.  The reviewers themselves seem to be assuming that a bike in the category must fit the ultimate definition of the category - Big Dual Sport Adventure Bikes - what ever that means.  KTMs are the boy racer favorite since they are the boy racer bike in this group.  Many put GSs at the top of the list because after all, they are GSs and so everything about them is best and the boxer engine sits low - despite also sticking out.  T1200s are put at the bottom of the list because they are "top heavy" and aren't seen as the BEST dirt bike, aren't a BMW, aren't the cheapest, etc.  They are however consistently praised on features for a touring bike (smooth engine, build quality, comfort, brakes, handling, features), and for me that is exactly what I wanted.   Surprisingly, I do find a lot of KTM, Ducati, Super10 and GS owners I ride with spending a long time checking out the big Tiger approvingly ... and there isn't a day of riding where I am not enjoying the bike more than I ever expected ...

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 09:36:56 PM »
I keep my advice for potential buyers short, "Test drive one for as long as you can and see what you think for yourself". If they are 5'10" or under I encourage them to try the XRx low, if they can, to mitigate the top heaviness. I would also say to someone if they are a little budget strapped consider the entry level XR, it is 90% of the bike the top of the range ones are, same road presence, that magnificent engine, WP suspension Brembo front brakes and cruise.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 04:23:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
If they are 5'10" or under I encourage them to try the XRx low, if they can, to mitigate the top heaviness.
I'm 5'9" (or used to be) and I have no issues with the bike's height. I even have the saddle in the high position at the front. The top heaviness is felt quickly if the bike gets off vertical at a standstill, especially if the side stand ends up in a hole!
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Triple3

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: sprintst1050
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2018, 11:20:06 AM »
I have just joined the forum and was considering having a test ride until a guy told me to check about the rear hub failures. My bike at the moment is an ST1050 and was wanting more comfort but he put me off. Looking through the forum it does seem a few hubs bearings have failed. No recalls seem to have been made by Triumph for a certain production run and I cannot find if its maintenance related (lack of oil) Any thoughts?

Offline electroken

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer
  • City / Town: Shelton, CT
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2018, 02:04:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by Triple3 [+]
I have just joined the forum and was considering having a test ride until a guy told me to check about the rear hub failures. My bike at the moment is an ST1050 and was wanting more comfort but he put me off. Looking through the forum it does seem a few hubs bearings have failed. No recalls seem to have been made by Triumph for a certain production run and I cannot find if its maintenance related (lack of oil) Any thoughts?

As a new owner of a zero-mile 2015 myself, I've read all the same concerns you have and bought a TEX anyway. As mentioned above, forums are where owners go to find solutions to problems and we don't usually see the vast majority who would have written "I had a fantastic ride today and my rear hub didn't explode". Having said all this, I would not have bought a '12 or '13, largely based on what I've read here.

I can tell you what attracted me to the TEX. I needed to replace my 2003 Kawasaki Concours (GTR1000) because of a nasty frame failure (something that has never happened anywhere, BTW). The TEX checked all the boxes:
Relatively upright seating position
Long legs at low RPMs for trips
Tons of torque
Minimum 60"wheelbase for stability and room for a passenger and stuff
Shaft drive
Add to all this that I'd never owned a triple and the choice was clear. So far, no regrets. I did have a fantastic ride yesterday and my rear hub did not explode.

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2018, 03:13:29 PM »
Last February I bought a zero mile '15 as well.
I figured if Triumph didn't get it right after the fourth year of production, I certainly wasn't going for a new generation..
I've put about 2.5K miles on mine and have zero hub problems.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2018, 03:34:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Triple3 [+]
Having been on this forum for 4+ years, I have very seldom seen any complaints about rear hub failures on the TEX. Most of the discussion revolves around how often you should change the hub oil. Not even remotely similar to past BMW hub issues that have occurred over the past 20 or so years. The only negative is that the TEX hub is not rebuildable because T does not provide parts for it.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2018, 03:36:16 PM »
My advice is for one to be absolutely sure that its top heaviness is something You can cope with under various conditions. That was my only bugbear with a bike that is in the top 5 favourite motorcycles that I ever owned. I am only 5'8" but I coped well for over five years of ownership, but in the end it just got too much for me when fully loaded with pillion and gear, and my increasing age with its accompanying weaknesses played a big part in that.

Recent Topics