Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Food Containers when Camping  (Read 420 times)

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Re: Food Containers when Camping
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 11:09:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by russ999rocket [+]
its the powdered milk that is the problem, she takes about 500ml of the stuff!

The Coffee sachets are good but we would need about 6 per day, 200 for a couple of weeks

You could use a heat sealing machine & the appropriate food bags to make your own sachets. Or just knot stuff in the corner of cheap poly bags.

Or take less and buy more as you need them.

Or tell her she has a choice (if you're brave): Give up either white coffee or those extra shoes she takes just in case she gets invited to a cocktail party   :164:

Offline mrgrumpy2

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Explorer
  • City / Town: Lincoln
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 08:53:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by russ999rocket [+]
its the powdered milk that is the problem, she takes about 500ml of the stuff!

The Coffee sachets are good but we would need about 6 per day, 200 for a couple of weeks

I take a 500ml bottle for real milk and a small box of tea bags when I am motorcycle camping. When I want a coffee, I'll find somewhere to sit down and enjoy a real coffee in a local cafe. I have a camping stove set up similar to a jetboil, but costing much less. I can easily fit my cooking equipment, water, tea, milk and a enough freeze dried meals to have 1 each day into my top box and still have some space spare.

But, that is for me touring solo. So far trips with the wife have been using B&B's and stopping at cafe's during the day. Yet to figure out how I am to get camping equipment for 2 onto my bike in a way I like.
I've got my first Triumph

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 11:03:03 AM »
I can't live without fresh coffee. I take my Jetboil, Cafetierre and a box of those little single pots of UHT cream that you find in hotels. I get them 120 at a time. As a back up I use CoffeeMate which is surprisingly good.To resolve the space issue, I simply put my Missus through her test, bought her an 800 and now we have 6 panniers / boxes. Easy!

The greatest challenge I found when travelling abroad was trying to find cream. I don't do milk in coffee; has to be cream.  It's not easy. I've ended up with chocolate milk, yoghurt and even a mango smoothie. For cream, you need to look for 10% on the packaging. It's roughly equiv to single cream. As it's UHT very often it lasts long enough without being chilled.

I have thought about trying to fit a very small absorption cooler to the bike but it's a lot of room and in the end just found a shop.

Offline Chris.p955

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger955 norton domi
  • City / Town: Runcorn
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 02:00:49 PM »
I carnt go more then a few hours without a brew. So I carry a msr stove. The petrol bottle is in a tool tube behind my panniers. The stove tea bags suger and mug are   in a lowalp bag on my crash bars I can stop in and nice spots and brew up with out unpacking the bike. When I'm abroad or away for a few weeks. I grab some uht milk pots you get with your coffee in petrol stations garages and sevice stations. To keep my stock topped up.

Online kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Red Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 12:24:47 AM »
I prefer 'real' coffee.  So I take away a one-cup coffee dripper when I go anywhere for a while.  We also use them at home.
(Sits on the cup holding ground coffee, and you pour boiling water in the top.)
Since I have cereal for breakfast, I carry small cartons of UHT milk.  About 200-250mil.  But no doubt if you wanted more milk, for over a longer period, powdered milk would be more efficient.

I use ziploc bags for all sorts of things.  But I know from experience, that they will wear open if left to bounce around in a topbox, or get squashed too much by luggage.
On my recent trip, I made use of real tough ziploc bags that were bought with dried cranberries in them.  Washed out, they are good for holding cereal (and cranberries).  -I spice up my cereal a bit with cranberries.
Ground coffee bags are tough too. So they can be used with the top rolled up and held closed with a rubber band.

Maybe you can buy tough ziploc bags, but I haven't seen any.  They are definitely the most compact container, but a little fragile.  I double bag a bit.

Recent Topics

nonskid