Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Uneven brake pad wear  (Read 1520 times)

Online Simmo

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 1200 XRT White
  • City / Town: Reading
Re: Uneven brake pad wear
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 11:05:42 PM »
Wow!

Sorry about that I think I was looking at the Gen2 pricing which seems to be half the price for more kit! Go figure.

Simmo
2017 Explorer XRT in White fitted with Triumph Sat Nav mount and Arrow exhaust. Also fitted - Puig Touring Screen, Rox Anti-vibration Pivoting Risers, Skidmarx Rear Hugger, Evotech Headlight Protector, Palmer Bar End Weights, Grip Puppies, SW Motech Upper Engine Bars, Panniers and Tool Tube, Skene P3 rear LEDs, Givi Trekker Outback 58L Box and Corben Heated Seat.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 07:41:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rockhopp3r [+]
Where are you guys sourcing your seals from??
I can't think of anyone posting on this forum who has talked about changing caliper seals. I think that it must be fairly rare.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline t552

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: bristol
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 11:19:37 AM »
That includes pistons, so if not needed wasted money but by the way WoT charge 5% more than triumph retail prices. Much better at Jack Lilley. Email mailorder@jacklilley.com.
If it was me id have refitted piston and used hydraulics to pump them all nearly out then pulled by hand. then reused sels (if ok) and refitted with red rubber grease.

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 09:41:53 AM »
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Brake-Piston-Removal-Pliers/160894365375?epid=4017017199&hash=item25760d2ebf:g:-uwAAOSwaIRZr~aU:rk:2:pf:0

Bought a set piston pliers as above a few years ago - one of the best tools I ever bought for extracting brake pistons - no more damaged pistons !!  :002:

Offline Rockhopp3r

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Los Angeles
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2018, 06:18:56 AM »
Forgot to update this topic, apologies.

I had to take the caliper to shop to get a seized piston out with compressed air as I didn't know how to do it nor had the tools to do it. At some point in this journey, I lost one of the inner brake joint seals. It looks like this:

I posted on another forum about it and most people were recommending the standard o-rings while I have a rectangular one (as seen in the photo). This seal is 10mm (outer diameter) x 5 mm (inner diameter) x 3 mm (height).

I'm going to copy and paste some stuff that I posted elsewhere to save myself the trouble of typing and in case someone finds this thread using Google in the future.

Alright, so for whoever finds this thread in posterity using Google and assuming that you've run into the same misfortune as I have, these seals are very difficult to find. I've been to several hardware stores and 4 motorcycle repair shops and nobody has this.

Additionally, I've called 3 bearing companies in the Los Angeles area with no success.

The best bet so far is to go on eBay and get it there. Unfortunately, ALL sellers of this item are in the UK, which means longer shipping times. Patience is a virtue they say...

The seal's dimensions are 10mm (outer diameter) x 5 mm (inner diameter) x 3mm (width).

If you're only looking for the seal, there is a UK eBay seller called POWERHOUSE AUTOMOTIVE which sells it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissin-bra...=item2568a0e6c3:g:1YEAAMXQyURSMECB:rk:18:pf:0

Since you're already ordering this, you might also look into getting piston seals from them as well. They sell kits will all of the seals and they're significantly cheaper than Triumph OEM ones.

I feel compelled to share more on this subject, given the incredible frustration that this is causing me. This seal is absolutely nowhere to be found in the Los Angeles area.

This morning I started by going to the shop that helped me get the seized pistons out and I was unable to find the seal, if it fell there at all.

I then headed to a hardware store, recommended by the shop, and could not find anything suitable there.

I went to another bike repair shop and they had nothing in stock and they couldn't order it either.

I then went to another shop that is close by and know they have a collection of parts, including a bin with maybe 40 calipers. Chose every different Tokico caliper I could find (no Nissin calipers unfortunately) and took them apart. The seals in them were correct in diameter, but the widths I found were only 1 mm and what appeared to be 2 mm, not the 3 mm that I needed. I must have gone through 6 or 7 different Tokico calipers, all of which had seized bolts to take them apart.

I headed to a seal/bolt/brake shop that was recommended two shops ago that was 20 miles from my house. Nothing there either.

Lastly, I pointlessly went to Autozone to take a look, knowing that it was highly unlikely that I'd find the seal there. I didn't.

I'm back to waiting for eBay....

Folks, DON'T LOSE THIS SEAL.

Fortunately, the seal arrived in 7 days and the bike is back on the road. That ebay seller mentioned above was great, even if shipping from the UK.

Offline t552

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: bristol
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2018, 11:17:48 AM »
Suzuki part
69107-17C00-000

Offline Rockhopp3r

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Los Angeles
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2018, 03:43:00 AM »
And now we know. Thanks so much! I will x-post to the other forum so that others are aware.

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2018, 09:06:32 PM »
Just had my rear caliper serviced in the UK by Powerhouse including repainting and new seals £68 plus postage each way - well impressed- my seals were well and truly scuppered and the wheel was stiff to move after a ride as they were not moving back in     
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2018, 09:01:58 PM »
Yes used Powerhouse t orebuild some Brembos on my other bikes - more for the paint finish to be honest - price obviously depends on number of pistons but good service - good company. That said some of the prices for full new calipers on this site look really good value !!  https://www.carpimoto.it/en-GB/Brakes/Calipers-Axial/

Recent Topics

nonskid