Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Uneven brake pad wear  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Rockhopp3r

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Los Angeles
Uneven brake pad wear
« on: October 12, 2018, 05:16:56 AM »
This afternoon, while servicing my bike, I pulled the brake calipers to check the pads and discovered that the front right pads were wearing unevenly (see attached pic).

What can be causing this?

When I pulled the other two calipers, pad wear seemed even.

I just got this bike and I'm going through numerous items to ensure it continues to run smoothly. To address this, I've ordered new brake pads but I really don't want to have to buy them every 3K miles :P

Shot from above:

Interestingly, while I didn't find uneven wear on the left caliper, I did notice that both pads have a very similar crack in them. Any idea of what the cause could be?

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 05:18:40 AM by Rockhopp3r »

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
Re: Uneven brake pad wear
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 06:01:02 AM »
No idea on the cracking, but on the caliper where one pad has worn excessively, i’d first check whether the pistons on that side are sticking, possibly from a build up of crud - maybe make sure they run in and out smoothly.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 04:04:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hawkeye [+]
No idea on the cracking, but on the caliper where one pad has worn excessively, i’d first check whether the pistons on that side are sticking, possibly from a build up of crud - maybe make sure they run in and out smoothly.
:0461: Use a spray brake cleaner and a toothbrush to clean each piston. Gently work them in and out about a quarter of an inch (don't pop one out) and continue cleaning until they move easily.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Rockhopp3r

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 04:19:13 PM »
Thanks. Too late not to pop one out. I accidentally popped one out by pumping the brakes with the pads off (don't ask me why I did that) so now I'm taking them apart and cleaning them.

Are these seals reusable?

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 05:01:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rockhopp3r [+]
Thanks. Too late not to pop one out. I accidentally popped one out by pumping the brakes with the pads off (don't ask me why I did that) so now I'm taking them apart and cleaning them.

Are these seals reusable?
I would tend to say yes if they are not damaged. How many miles on the bike?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Rockhopp3r

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 05:04:55 PM »
22k.

The issue I have is that getting these seals might take a while. Don't know who stocks them in my area.

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 09:19:18 PM »
Its your own call on whether the seals can be reused. That said - I strip mine every year - totally clean and reassemble using existing seals. I keep a spare set of pads on the shelf to change whenever I'm getting a bit low - bike has nearly 30k on it and brakes are perfect.

Offline Rockhopp3r

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 10:02:54 PM »
So, brakes are completely disassembled now. Took the calipers to a shop to get out the seized pistons and fortunately they were able to do it. I didn't have the tools here to get it done and didn't want to mark the pistons with pliers.

Now, the most interesting issue is that, while I was there, I asked them to order sets of seals and a set for one caliper is going for $67!!!!  :005: :005: Both sets of seals would cost a staggering $134 plus shipping. Is this price normal? I sold my GSA in part because of higher maintenance costs. $134 for a set of seals for the front sounds incredibly high.

Where are you guys sourcing your seals from??

Offline Simmo

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 1200 XRT White
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 10:46:36 PM »
Sounds steep to me! World of Triumph appears to be saying that a complete piston & seal kit is 31.80GBP per caliper!

I know it probably doesn't help but it gives a bit of a guide. Good luck

Simmo

2017 Explorer XRT in White fitted with Triumph Sat Nav mount and Arrow exhaust. Also fitted - Puig Touring Screen, Rox Anti-vibration Pivoting Risers, Skidmarx Rear Hugger, Evotech Headlight Protector, Palmer Bar End Weights, Grip Puppies, SW Motech Upper Engine Bars, Panniers and Tool Tube, Skene P3 rear LEDs, Givi Trekker Outback 58L Box and Corben Heated Seat.

Offline Rockhopp3r

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 10:54:24 PM »
I'm seeing 60 GBP for the piston and seal set at WoT. Price is per caliper. Comes out to a similar price in USD.

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator?block_01=&block_02=100063183-0-2&block_03=560600

Recent Topics