Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear Shock & Fork Springs...What's Available  (Read 1854 times)

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
Re: Rear Shock & Fork Springs...What's Available
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 03:14:18 PM »
Yes. Lol. Mostly street though.
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Offline MarksMotorCycleParts

• Forum Sponsor
  • Bike: 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bath
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 10:05:21 AM »
At MarksMotorcycleParts we're now agents for the Shock Factory, and can do single & double adjustable shocks with or without a threaded ride height adjuster, see here for detalis https://www.marksmotorcycleparts.co.uk/shock-absorbers

I got involved with them after being impressed with a shock I bought for one of my own bikes. They're a top quality product at reasonable prices, fully rebuildable, 2 year warranty, custom spring rate and length to your spec, C spanner & worldwide delivery all included in the price.

Pretty much Ohlins quality at pretty much Hagon prices.

PM me if you're interested. Thanks, Mark

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2018, 12:54:28 AM »
I just sent my forks and rear shock off to Traxxion Dynamics...
They are installing an AK-20 kit in the front and revalving and re springing the rear shock.
I've had other bikes done and the results are nothing short of amazing.

http://traxxion.com/product/ak-20-axxion-cartridge-kit/

Offline Rockhopp3r

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Los Angeles
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 06:39:10 AM »
I'm starting to look into this as well for my 14 TEX. Tired of the diving and not feeling super secure with the stock stuff.

To start, I'd like to try replacing front and rear springs without any other changes.

I went to Race Tech's calculator and they're saying this:

Rider weight (no gear): 260 lbs

Front:
Stock - 0.59 kg/mm
Recommended - 1.1 kg/mm

Rear:
Stock - 12.08 kg/mm
Recommended - 16.1 kg/mm

For the front, I see they have Race Tech springs. However, for the rear, I'm seeing something called "SK Spring", which I've never heard of. Google says it is a spring company from India? Does anyone have any more insight into this?

What are the heavier riders of the TEX using? All ears to recommendations.

I'm also talking to Exceptional Suspension Products who might do the work, but they'd still have to source the springs. I'd rather do the research on springs myself to save them some time.

Offline Rockhopp3r

• Explorer Member
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 06:41:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
I just sent my forks and rear shock off to Traxxion Dynamics...
They are installing an AK-20 kit in the front and revalving and re springing the rear shock.
I've had other bikes done and the results are nothing short of amazing.

http://traxxion.com/product/ak-20-axxion-cartridge-kit/

Please, please, please put some bungees to hold those calipers. It hurts me to see that they're hanging by the hose.  :012:

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2018, 11:31:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rockhopp3r [+]
Please, please, please put some bungees to hold those calipers. It hurts me to see that they're hanging by the hose.  :012:

Meh.they are steel braided lines. but if it makes you feel better ..they were only  hanging for about 15 minutes  right after I took the bike apart...you can see how it sat while apart in this pic when its going back together...both calipers were on a box

here is the resprung rear shock...the spring is about half the length of the stock spring.... I took a quick  200 mile ride on Sunday....it handles like its on rails and Im very happy with the results

Online FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2018, 03:26:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rockhopp3r [+]
I'm starting to look into this as well for my 14 TEX. Tired of the diving and not feeling super secure with the stock stuff.

To start, I'd like to try replacing front and rear springs without any other changes.

I went to Race Tech's calculator and they're saying this:

Rider weight (no gear): 260 lbs

Front:
Stock - 0.59 kg/mm
Recommended - 1.1 kg/mm

Rear:
Stock - 12.08 kg/mm
Recommended - 16.1 kg/mm

For the front, I see they have Race Tech springs. However, for the rear, I'm seeing something called "SK Spring", which I've never heard of. Google says it is a spring company from India? Does anyone have any more insight into this?

What are the heavier riders of the TEX using? All ears to recommendations.

I'm also talking to Exceptional Suspension Products who might do the work, but they'd still have to source the springs. I'd rather do the research on springs myself to save them some time.

This is the old shock spring that Race Tech carried a few months ago, it’s a rebranded Eibach spring.
My son works for Eibach so I got a very good deal on the forks and shock springs.
All I did was have the springs replaced and new fork oil (5wt full synthetic).
I bought my ‘15 TEx this past February brand new, never prepped. Your ‘13 needs fork oil replaced anyways.
The springs and oil absolutely transformed the bike, I’m 230lbs. For solo riding I don’t need to crank up the preload all the way, I'm ten clicks back from max in the rear and six back in front.
Shoot me a PM if you’d like to talk.

BTW
Eibach is a German Company that makes what is considered by many, the best you can buy.

Offline Rockhopp3r

• Explorer Member
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2018, 03:58:45 PM »
Thanks, Fred. So SK Spring is actually an Eibach one? Is there any supporting evidence? Not looking to question your word, just want to better understand. They should call it something else because the only references to SK Spring on the internet is a company from India.

I might send you a pm later today to discuss details of your experience with race tech.

Online FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 12:16:58 AM »
Race Tech changed their website after I used it to reference my needs. The SK thing I'm all but certain is not Eibach. I'll give my son a call and find out.

Online FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2018, 03:35:58 AM »
My bad memory I guess.
I checked back on my texts to my son and discovered I didn't use the SK# to identify what I needed. I used SESP 902250900 which is the identification numbers to the right of the SK#'s on the Race Tech's chart.
Sorry about that.
Also just spoke to my son....as far as he knows, they still make the Race Tech springs.

Recent Topics

nonskid