Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear Shock & Fork Springs...What's Available  (Read 968 times)

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Rear Shock & Fork Springs...What's Available
« on: October 13, 2018, 03:11:51 AM »
Hey Guys, looking to replace the rear shock and fork springs. 13 TEX XC. I want to specifically tailor the suspension to 2Up and fully loaded riding with off road capabilities (think Mongolia etc). I would like advice on what's out there and possible recommendations...bonus if available to source in Australia.

Any advice much appreciated. Cheers guys.

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
Re: Rear Shock & Fork Springs...What's Available
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 04:22:37 PM »
First off, I'm no expert...not even close.
I bought a new, never prepped '15 TEx this past February. I have no desire to do any off road excursions. I wanted a bike that I could stretch out this old, tall body and make my better half comfortable.
Between my wife onboard and loaded up for a trip, we're just under maximum what this bike can safely handle according to the manufacturer specs.
I found out right off that the OE springs were way to soft with just me onboard. Maybe ok for the dirt but not nearly as capable on the street. Excessive nose dive under breaking, wallowing in the corners etc.
My son works for Eibach here in California. They produce top quality springs and suspension components under their own brand and several others. They produce the springs for Race Tech. I bought heavy springs to fit my needs and they absolutey transformed the bike in a very positive way. Much more stable and can now handle the max payload specified, 489lbs.
I would imagine their is going to be compromise in your situation going off road and street riding. I do not know of any bike that can be set up to handle both street and dirt perfectly with maximum payload. You need to choose what is more important to you.
I believe Race Tech would be a good choice. Do you have a local supplier for Race Tech?

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 06:08:40 PM »
https://www.wilbers-shop.de/en/Motorcycle/Triumph/Tiger-Explorer-V13VG-wilbers-25/shock-absorber-type-640-Road.html?cur=1&manufacturer=amu0b816a037e22937fc2aa2f9d471bb&year=2013&catname=9e43a54bb12350d68647d38fffc7e0e4

This is what I have with the external preload adjuster.

Lots better then the OEM but I don't do much two up and am a road only rider. Wilbers does seem to have a god rep.
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 12:10:03 AM »
Thank you gents. I am going with a set of custom made Wilburs 641's and their drop in fork springs. Hyperpro custom made was also an option but the Wilburs in Australia came at a great price and service was excellent.

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 04:12:59 AM »
Great!
I'll assume your having the fork oil changed as well. What weight oil did they recommend?
Please let us know how everything turns out.

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 02:43:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by FredJ9 [+]
Great!
I'll assume your having the fork oil changed as well. What weight oil did they recommend?
Please let us know how everything turns out.

They recommended 5W-7.5W. Dependant on personal prefernce for ride. Load will be @200kg.

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 08:15:47 PM »
I went with a 641 and the full Wilbers conversion for the forks which included a reduction in both compression and rebound damping + springs and synthetic oil.  Having compression damping adjustment on the shock was important for me as I have a bad back. The entire combination worked well. 

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 01:44:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by Griff [+]
I went with a 641 and the full Wilbers conversion for the forks which included a reduction in both compression and rebound damping + springs and synthetic oil.  Having compression damping adjustment on the shock was important for me as I have a bad back. The entire combination worked well.

Yes, I think its a good choice Griff. Ive got 53,000klms on the bike already and need reliability. Im always 2 up and loaded and the stock stuff just doesnt really cut it.

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 05:32:12 AM »
I have to get my suspension redone. Forks first. Going to take them to racetech. This last trip really showed how bad the front dives during braking. Rear seems fine.
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 02:52:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by anaheimtex [+]
I have to get my suspension redone. Forks first. Going to take them to racetech. This last trip really showed how bad the front dives during braking. Rear seems fine.

I'd be curious what they do for you. If I lived closer I would have had them do mine as well, they are top notch.
A few years back I had them set up a new DRZ400 that ended up being an absolutely fantastic desert bike.
If I remember correctly, Race Tech is real close to Anaheim.
Do you go off road or are you setting up for the street only?

Recent Topics

nonskid