Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oil site glass question on 2012 TEX 1200  (Read 349 times)

Offline Matts

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '12 Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Bath, Maine
Oil site glass question on 2012 TEX 1200
« on: October 13, 2018, 01:52:31 PM »
Site glass is always dark and shows no indication of low oil.  Crazy thought is I wonder if it’s possibe the glass could be stained and giving me a false reading?  No dipstick to double check. Any other way to check oil level or should I put trust in the site glass? Bike runs great and oil pressure light has never come on.  My old BMW R1150R would burn a quart every 3000 miles. Just checking if anyone else has concern. 
Matts
Mid-coast Maine, USA
2012 TEX

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
Re: Oil site glass question on 2012 TEX 1200
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 02:44:46 PM »
Have you checked it on the side stand? I know that’s not how you check but it will tell you if you can actually read a lower level. Mine has never burned any oil to be noticed.
The glass won’t stain.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 05:03:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Matts [+]
Site glass is always dark and shows no indication of low oil.
Then it is probably over-filled. Put the bike on the center stand on a level surface, do an oil and filter change and use an accurate measuring container to refill to the specified amount, as per your owner's manual. Let the bike idle for a minute and then let it sit for ten minutes. Now, look at the sight glass. That is your cold oil level. It should be about halfway up the glass.

BTW, I usually put about 3.8 ltr into it first, then run the bike, let it sit and then top it up to the correct level. I usually do my oil changes cold, so some oil will remain in the crankcase and a full 4 ltr may be too much.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 05:25:13 PM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online thumper

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: '18 XRt
  • City / Town: California
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 07:52:03 PM »
I'll second Fred's comment.   

If you put your bike on the side stand, and your sight glass still doesn't show empty, then it's WAY over-filled.    Time to change it yourself (with a fresh filter--why not?!) and know it's been done correctly.   

:821:
ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander.

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 10:44:30 PM »
I hope the reason you can't see the oil level is that it is overfilled and not underfilled.
Shine a torch in to see if you can see anything inside. When there is no oil you can just make out the shape of the engine casting reflecting back at you thru' the sight glass. If you can't see anything reflecting behind the glass it is overfilled.
Either way I'd do an oil change & new filter for peace of mind.

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 10:50:02 PM »
It's posts like this that make me glad I do all my own servicing, so I don't have to rely one some knuckleheaded "mechanic"

Offline eps

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 09:37:49 AM »
Much to my embarrassment I'll admit earlier this year , I panicked when checking the oil level via the glass - I could n't see it either. Oh better top that up I thought - though my Tex rarely uses any oil if any. Needless to say after I put 2 litres in I still could n't see it via the glass - I had completely over filled it !! Drained it all  -changed filter  - put new stuff in - all good !!  :001:

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 10:50:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by eps [+]
Much to my embarrassment I'll admit earlier this year , I panicked when checking the oil level via the glass - I could n't see it either. Oh better top that up I thought - though my Tex rarely uses any oil if any. Needless to say after I put 2 litres in I still could n't see it via the glass - I had completely over filled it !! Drained it all  -changed filter  - put new stuff in - all good !!  :001:

I think the difference between the low & high marks isn't very much - about 150ml ?? Anyone know for sure ??

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 03:22:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
I think the difference between the low & high marks isn't very much - about 150ml ?? Anyone know for sure ??
That's about right.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Zinger

• Explorer Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 03:38:10 PM »
My 2015 came with the site glass completely filled right from the factory.  The dealer even said that's how they come. 

On my first oil change, which I did myself, I put in the correct amount, and I felt like after checking the level as discussed here it felt a little on the low side of the hash marks, so I added a few more ounces (not much) and when I checked the whole site glass was full.  There is not much margin for error when filling, but I also highly doubt this engine can't handle a few extra ounces of oil, especially since it came from the factory that exact same way.

Recent Topics

nonskid