Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gen 2 or 3 fuel tank removal  (Read 1837 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
Re: Gen 2 or 3 fuel tank removal
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 02:14:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by cheesecutter [+]
had mt Gen 1 tank off yesterday, not difficult just a pain taking all the plastic off - getting all the fuel out prior is hard too - I drained it out through one of the balance pipes - use some 8mm tubing sealed off to blank the 3 balance pipe outlets. enjoy!

I think Triumph must have introduced this setup with the Gen-2 as that's exactly what I have on mine.

The trick to all this of course is to start with a fairly empty tank! But I must admit that once I drained mine, the "leakage" was absolutely minimal, and by using the tank removal kit (bungs) even that was kept to a minimum.

Not sure had I not de-pressurised the fuel rail I would have got any leakage, but I did de-pressurise and no problem there either.

What a faff though overall just to get a tank off (and then re-fit!)

Online KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 06:55:22 PM »
On my old Yammie DT1, it was turn the fuel tap off, pull off the hose, unplug the fuel-level sender, undo one easily accessible bolt, lift the tank off.
Didn't matter how much fuel was in the tank.
Why are things so hard now???

Offline Deep6blue

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Several
  • City / Town: Washington
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2020, 07:45:57 PM »
Really drove me nuts. Having to pull the tank for something as simple as the air filter doesn’t make sense.   

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2020, 09:32:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Deep6blue [+]
Really drove me nuts. Having to pull the tank for something as simple as the air filter doesn’t make sense.   
From the dealer's perspective, it makes perfect sense if you make the bulk of your money off service work.  :084:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2020, 03:33:12 PM »
Thanks for the photos. I think that I will order the formed hose, T and plug from Triumph and retrofit it to my TEX.
and it would also allow the tank to be drained instead of siphoning should you be foolish enough to put wrong fuel in  :008:  - not that I've ever done that...... :034: :008: :013: :230:
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Recent Topics