Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Michelin Road 5 Trail's  (Read 9245 times)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Michelin Road 5 Trail's
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2018, 03:34:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by Anthony1664 [+]
I always managed a regular RP4 for the rear on. Gen1 but a trail on the front
Right now I can order the PR4 GT rear for my Gen1 but the front Trail is out of stock.  :003:

Here is more of what Micheline N/A told me back in May:

The current versions of the Pilot Road 5 are still not recommended for use on heavier GT bikes. Until the PR5's GT variant is released, we would recommend using the Pilot Road 4 GT for your bike.

We understand your concern for this. Currently, both the Trail and GT versions of the Pilot Road 5 will be released in 2019. Because it is not out yet, we are not able to make a direct comparison between the PR5 and its Trail variant.

The Pilot Road 4 Trail and GT will continue to be available until 2019, when the PR5 variants are made available.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 03:39:23 AM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2018, 03:53:04 AM »
I just dropped in to my tyre man to see about new tyres.
He didn't recommend PR5's because he's had some complaints about premature tyre wear with them.
PR5 GT isn't yet here.
PR4's are no longer available.
I paid for some Pirelli Trail 2's, which he said were a good tyre.  -I know nothing about tyres, I take his advice.

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2018, 08:09:48 PM »
I have 5's on mine and so far they are excellent. I only have a couple of thousand Kms on them as yet so longevity remains to be seen. I believe they steer a little quicker than 4's but the leaned over grip wet or dry is very good.

Offline Mark Carter

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer 1215
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2018, 09:13:16 PM »
Having chamfered the toes of my boots round the Picos hairpins on that PR5 Trail I have to agree with Griff.

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2018, 04:11:57 PM »
New PR5's trails now fitted front and rear.

4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2018, 06:28:05 PM »
Despite earlier assurances from Michelin about the continued availability of PR4s until the PR5 Trails ship, now the only front tire that is available here in CA for my Gen1 TEX appears to be an Anakee 3. There is nothing else listed in the 110/80 19 sizes.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline FL_Explorer

• Explorer Master
  • Never take a laxative & a sleeping pill together
  • Bike: '14 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Dade City, FL
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2018, 08:34:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Despite earlier assurances from Michelin about the continued availability of PR4s until the PR5 Trails ship, now the only front tire that is available here in CA for my Gen1 TEX appears to be an Anakee 3. There is nothing else listed in the 110/80 19 sizes.
You can’t get anything else?  Isn’t eBay or Amazon any help to you in CA?  I have been running the Pirelli Trail 2s on mine and they’re a fine tire. I’d be willing to try the PR5 but they don’t look to have much tread in the pics. I’m sure that’s merely an optical dillusion though.

I might even go back to the Mitas E07 for a cycle even though I don’t take the TEx in the dirt anymore. They were good tires on the pavement too plus they looked good!
Ride safe, and ride often!
Keith

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2018, 09:41:02 PM »
I can get other brands, but in Michelin tires right now, all I can get is Anakee 3's on the front from my usual supplier here in CA. I was hoping for another set of PR4's for next spring.

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2018, 10:55:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I can get other brands, but in Michelin tires right now, all I can get is Anakee 3's on the front from my usual supplier here in CA. I was hoping for another set of PR4's for next spring.

I bought my front Road 5  from the UK..and even with  shipping it was cheaper than my US supplier who has them on backorder.... ..figure that one out.....oh, and it arrived in 5 days....not too shabby...

check them out,.... they may have the tires  you need....

https://www.thevisorshop.com/en/us/Tyres/c-205.aspx
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 11:01:04 PM by Crosshairs »

Offline Bikerbuk

• Explorer Master
  • Musical Prostitute - You pay, I play!
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Lanarkshire Scotland
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2018, 07:42:23 PM »
Just had a R5 fitted to the front as PR4 is no longer available.    So bike has New Road 5 front and PR4 trail partworn on rear.   Handles superbly but only 400 miles on front so far.    Will be sellng the bike early next year so didn't want to put a pair on.   

There comes a time in everyone's life when it pays to:   Never pass a toilet, never waste a hardon and never trust a fart!

Recent Topics