Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Michelin Road 5 Trail's  (Read 9246 times)

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
Re: Michelin Road 5 Trail's
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2018, 08:35:56 PM »
Tired of dealing with Michelin is why I am going to try a set of Continental Road Attack 3 tires. 

Offline Chaz

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer
  • City / Town: Livingston
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2018, 06:26:43 PM »
Just got a set of 5 trails, £217 The visor shop. Great deal.

Offline rockitcity

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Northridge, CA
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2019, 05:21:56 PM »
Just put a new set of Road 5 Trail's on my Explorer, replacing a set of PR4's that lasted a bit over 16,000 miles before getting to the wear bars.  Just a commute ride today, but the turn in feel is great (as probably any new tire would be compared to the worn out ones).  Have some rain coming to southern California this weekend, and while I don't seek to try them in the wet, if I get caught up in it, will report on their grip. Nice to have new rubber, guess I'll have to keep the bike a while longer :002:

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2019, 07:33:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by rockitcity [+]
Just put a new set of Road 5 Trail's on my Explorer, replacing a set of PR4's that lasted a bit over 16,000 miles before getting to the wear bars.  Just a commute ride today, but the turn in feel is great (as probably any new tire would be compared to the worn out ones).  Have some rain coming to southern California this weekend, and while I don't seek to try them in the wet, if I get caught up in it, will report on their grip. Nice to have new rubber, guess I'll have to keep the bike a while longer :002:
I just visited the Michelin website and used their tire configuration tool to check what they are recommending for the TEX. The tool now shows Road 5 tires as an option for the TEX. I'm not sure what has changed, but it appears that Michelin is now endorsing them, where they were not last fall.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2019, 08:04:46 PM »

you wont find a better tire for wet weather performance, but  they are not very long lasting when pushed hard ....I burned through a set in 2800 miles on my Versys 1000 on  a trip up and down the Blue Ridge along with some other twisty roads in the area ,  so I dont see me buying them again.

Offline rockitcity

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Northridge, CA
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2019, 10:58:35 PM »
Wow, 2800 miles??? I can't even believe how you would burn through them that fast!  I've run about 4 sets of Michelin PR's on various bikes over the last ten years, and all have lasted in the 15,000 mile range.  My riding is mostly commuting, about 7500 miles per year on LA freeways.  Some longer rides through the hills, but not a lot of touring.  The road surfaces must be a lot harsher on tires out east, or you are a much more aggressive rider than I (quite easily possible.)  I have about 500 miles on my new set now, and they feel great and show no signs of wear except for the molding nibs.  I expect as long a life as my previous sets, or as long as I plan to keep my current bike!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 11:03:20 PM by rockitcity »

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2019, 04:00:36 PM »
I've run about 4 sets of Michelin PR's on various bikes over the last ten years, and all have lasted in the 15,000 mile range.
My experience exactly (except I think I got 6 to 7 PRs overall).
Can't wait for the stock ugly Tourance to wear off!

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2019, 05:12:03 PM »
not counting the last set of PR5s which went away on a single 3000 mile trip,  I got about 15K out of my last 3 sets combined.....there is a reason I bought a tire machine for my garage... :001:.

5000-5500 miles is about normal for me no matter what tire I buy
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 05:13:35 PM by Crosshairs »

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2019, 07:51:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
5000-5500 miles is about normal for me no matter what tire I buy

About that for me as well though they have definately lost their profile by that mileage
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2019, 08:18:28 PM »
If I don't get at least 10,000 miles on a set of tires, I am disappointed. My current PR4's have 8,000 miles on them now and look to be good for another 2 - 3,000.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics

nonskid