Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Michelin Road 5 Trail's  (Read 5592 times)

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
Re: Michelin Road 5 Trail's
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2019, 08:44:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by mjab [+]
About that for me as well though they have definately lost their profile by that mileage

Yeah, 5 to 6 seems to be about the norm with my riding group....all different riders on all different bikes with all different tires no less....and luckily we almost always wear them evenly as we have no shortage of twisty roads around here

I think I could probably push it out to 7 but Im not one for trying to squeeze every mile out of a tire...for me its far more important to not slide off the road in a corner.... :001:

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2019, 01:18:06 PM »
Always used to get 6,000 rear, 12,000 front, these days it's more like 8-9,000 rear 12,000 front, though if I can get both to 9,000+ I change both together.

Except Dunlops on the old Versys and Pirelli Angels on the 1050 Sport 4-5,000 on the rear max, with the Angels going from Ok, to showing the carcass within 4-500 miles  :155:

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline Regi T

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2019, 10:34:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
with the Angels going from Ok, to showing the carcass within 4-500 miles  :155:
A tyre per day, wow!!  Man you must be hard on that throttle.... :008:

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2019, 01:22:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by Regi T [+]
A tyre per day, wow!!  Man you must be hard on that throttle.... :008:

G'day
Not quite, a week's commute, plus a Saturday ride, went from 4,200 (ish) miles and still showing some tread, to where the feck has all the rubber gone in less than 500 miles, apparently "they all do that" Tiger 1050 Sport, not as hard on tyres as an Explorer  :016:

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2019, 08:50:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
Tiger 1050 Sport, not as hard on tyres as an Explorer  :016:
Heavy, torquey, flickable bike = lots of burnt rubber
Still, if you use it like I do (i.e. almost strictly legal speeds and very defensive stance), a good pair of PRs lasts more or less as long as on my ex-ex-ex-Tiger 1050 ;-)

Offline Gareth38

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Grenoble
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2019, 03:00:49 PM »
I live in France so just went on Michelin's french website and put in Triumph Tiger 1200 XRT into the search engine.
Came back recommending Road5' trails but when I followed the link to all available sizes - no 170/60 R17 available.
So I used their "ask an expert" chat function and got this reply below. But I cant find the tyres on their site. I believe that the tyres are available but that there is a bug in their web page - could this be why some of you are getting your dealers saying that they are not available?  At best I'm only semi web literate - but a good web site should work for all;  numpties and experts alike - Michelin you need to up your game!

Effectivement pour votre Triumph tiger 1200 XRT, vous avez disponible la gamme Road 5 Trail. (yes for your triumph the road 5 trail range is available - here the references)

Voici les références :

15:33

120/70 ZR 19 M/C 60W ROAD 5 Trail F TL
170/60 ZR 17 M/C 72W ROAD 5 Trail R TL
Gareth38

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2019, 05:17:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gareth38 [+]
So I used their "ask an expert" chat function and got this reply below. But I cant find the tyres on their site. I believe that the tyres are available but that there is a bug in their web page - could this be why some of you are getting your dealers saying that they are not available?  At best I'm only semi web literate - but a good web site should work for all;  numpties and experts alike - Michelin you need to up your game!
I had a similar experience this week chatting with a Michelin rep in N. America. At first, she could not even find a listing for a Gen1 Tiger Explorer. It took her about 10 minutes of searching manually. She told me that she really disliked Michelin's "new" website and found it difficult to use. So it seems even the staff are having issues with it.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2019, 08:43:47 AM »
The sizes for the Gen 3 (as listed by Gareth38) not available here yet either. These are the available Road 5's with just two sizes of the trail version available. The same dealer has stock of both front and rear Road 4 Trails in Gen 3 sizes.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 08:49:32 AM by XCaTel »

Offline sprintexplorer

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: TEXLaunch+TexXRT
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2019, 01:42:31 PM »
After 18000km on my pilot road 4 tires, my explorer has new shows. A brandnew road 5 170/60.
Rode it back home in very heavy rainfall and gusty winds.
Quite impressed how good the tire felt.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2019, 04:46:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
The sizes for the Gen 3 (as listed by Gareth38) not available here yet either. These are the available Road 5's with just two sizes of the trail version available. The same dealer has stock of both front and rear Road 4 Trails in Gen 3 sizes.
Michelin has really botched the rollout of the Road 5. The Road 5 offerings are confusing, incomplete and inconsistent across their various markets. No wonder retailers and customers are confused.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics

nonskid