Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Michelin Road 5 Trail's  (Read 1806 times)

kebrider and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
Re: Michelin Road 5 Trail's
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 10:38:45 AM »
I have the PR4 Trails on mine - love them. However, I seem to recall reading on here (somewhere) that rather than fit a PR4 Trail on the rear next time, that the PR4 GT is preferable, gives same levels of grip etc, but has better longevity and doesn't square off so quickly either.

Next time will be fitting PR5's for sure, but I'm interested in opinions on whether to fit a PR5 Trail on the back or a PR5 GT (assuming Michelin do both of these in the PR5 range)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 04:32:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hawkeye [+]
I have the PR4 Trails on mine - love them. However, I seem to recall reading on here (somewhere) that rather than fit a PR4 Trail on the rear next time, that the PR4 GT is preferable, gives same levels of grip etc, but has better longevity and doesn't square off so quickly either.

Next time will be fitting PR5's for sure, but I'm interested in opinions on whether to fit a PR5 Trail on the back or a PR5 GT (assuming Michelin do both of these in the PR5 range)
Michelin NA have specifically told me that the current Road 5 is only designed for middleweight bikes and to wait for the Road 5 variant that will be available in 2019 for heavier bikes. In the meantime, they advised continuing to use the PR4.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 10:45:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Michelin NA have specifically told me that the current Road 5 is only designed for middleweight bikes and to wait for the Road 5 variant that will be available in 2019 for heavier bikes. In the meantime, they advised continuing to use the PR4.

I got the same info here in UK recently so had to have a new PR4 on the rear.

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2018, 11:23:00 PM »
PR4 again on the rear it is then. Thanks chaps.

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2018, 06:03:34 PM »

Did they happen to say when in 2019?

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2018, 03:15:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by FredJ9 [+]
Did they happen to say when in 2019?
This is all that I got:

The Pilot Road 4 Trail and GT will continue to be available until 2019, when the PR5 variants are made available.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline nuttySweeet

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2018, 11:40:06 AM »

I remember you mentioning that in a previous thread but thought I would put them on anyway. They are designed for big Trail bikes, however I suspect their longevity suffers if the bike is two up and fully loaded, hence why they don't recommend them. My other half has her own bike now so I'm hoping it won't be an issue, time will tell.

Offline Mark Carter

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer 1215
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2018, 05:29:05 PM »
Interesting.  When I had my rear changed this summer, I was told that the PR4 was no longer available for my rim size (Gen 1) so they fitted a PR5.  It says on the tyre wall it is the 'trail' variant.  Attached photo's show the text and the tyre size.

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2018, 08:13:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mark Carter [+]
Interesting.  When I had my rear changed this summer, I was told that the PR4 was no longer available for my rim size (Gen 1) so they fitted a PR5.  It says on the tyre wall it is the 'trail' variant.  Attached photo's show the text and the tyre size.

I was told the same in April. The road version was not available in the size for the Gen 1 wheel, as the PR4 wasn't. The trail is for that size
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline Anthony1664

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: North West
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2018, 10:02:11 PM »
I always managed a regular RP4 for the rear on. Gen1 but a trail on the front
My real names Dave!

Recent Topics

nonskid