Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Michelin Road 5 Trail's  (Read 12386 times)

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Re: Michelin Road 5 Trail's
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2019, 10:26:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by Simmo [+]
Hi Captain

You had me worried there for a moment so I phoned Michelin UK and they confirmed that the PR5's I have fitted are correct for the bike (2016/2017 XRT).

Over here it seems that they are called PR5 'Trail' whereas you refer to them as PR5 'GT' perhaps that is what they are known as on your side of the pond. Cheers

Simmo

No, they are 2 different tyres! Different construction & compounds but with the same tread pattern. Michelin recommend the Trail for our bikes because they won't recommend mixing tyres even if they are so very similar. The size for the front is only available in the Trail range, so they recommend the Trail for the rear too. The GT is more intended for tourers than adventure bikes and has a longer life expectancy than the Trail......a cynic might say that's another reason they recommend the Trail   :164:  However with the previous PR4s some riders successfully "mismatched" Trail front with GT rear and I'm yet to read of any problems whatsoever doing that......but I'm currently using Trail front & rear 'coz the GT wasn't available.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 10:30:29 AM by Will Morgan »

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2019, 05:02:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
No, they are 2 different tyres! Different construction & compounds but with the same tread pattern. Michelin recommend the Trail for our bikes because they won't recommend mixing tyres even if they are so very similar. The size for the front is only available in the Trail range, so they recommend the Trail for the rear too. The GT is more intended for tourers than adventure bikes and has a longer life expectancy than the Trail......a cynic might say that's another reason they recommend the Trail   :164:  However with the previous PR4s some riders successfully "mismatched" Trail front with GT rear and I'm yet to read of any problems whatsoever doing that......but I'm currently using Trail front & rear 'coz the GT wasn't available.
My local motorcycle shop recommended the GT version of the PR4 over the Trail version because they had observed "abnormal tire wear" on PR4 rear Trail tires installed on heavy ADV bikes like ours. In my case, the GT wore better than any ADV style tire that I have had on my bike since I bought it 5 years ago. I was very happy with the Trail / GT combo.

The only caveat is that the GT version of the Road 5 has been delayed by Michelin. The last I heard, it was going to be released sometime in 2019.

Michelin told me (and posted on their website late last year) that the Road 5 initial release was intended for middle-weight bikes (eg. SV650).  A pattern seems to be emerging of short tread life with the Road 5 rears getting chewed up prematurely. I am just putting two and two together.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 05:07:30 PM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #102 on: August 08, 2019, 06:57:57 PM »
Found this quotation allegedly from a Michelin tire rep posted March 2019 on an ST1300 forum:

"Thank you for your interest in our tires Jonah. I unfortunately do not show any indication for a future deployment of a GT version of the Pilot Road 5 tire model."

So, it appears now that Michelin have changed their minds and will not be releasing a GT version of the Road 5 tire in 2019. The PR4 GT tires continue to be available, with some size restrictions. But the PR4 Trail front for the earlier TEX models is long gone.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Yellow Jacket

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer
  • City / Town: Portland, Or
« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2019, 05:00:36 PM »
I've been waiting too long for the GTs to come out. I've ordered pirellis new Angel GT ll to try out at the end of the month. I have high hopes that this tire will get me the extra mileage I'm looking for.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2019, 08:51:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Found this quotation allegedly from a Michelin tire rep posted March 2019 on an ST1300 forum:

So, it appears now that Michelin have changed their minds and will not be releasing a GT version of the Road 5 tire in 2019. The PR4 GT tires continue to be available, with some size restrictions. But the PR4 Trail front for the earlier TEX models is long gone.
Not here!
My good ol' mech didn't have any issue in getting and installing a pair of PR4 Trail front and rear.
BTW, what a pleasure to get some silence back from my front end ;-)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #105 on: August 12, 2019, 12:53:40 PM »
Well, I am now rolling a pair of Conti Trail attack 2s. I miss my quiet PR4s, but Michelin's bizarrely botched rollout of the Road 5 here in Canada has really put me off the brand.

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2019, 01:49:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Well, I am now rolling a pair of Conti Trail attack 2s. I miss my quiet PR4s, but Michelin's bizarrely botched rollout of the Road 5 here in Canada has really put me off the brand.
Conti TA2 - Had those on my Africa Twin, great tyre I thought, especially in the wet.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2019, 05:23:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
Conti TA2 - Had those on my Africa Twin, great tyre I thought, especially in the wet.
So far, so good. A little noisier and a little stiffer in the carcass than the PR4s but good handling. Will be leaving on Wed. for a week's tour and expecting some rain en route so should have a good idea of how they will go by next week.

Offline blueTrex

• Explorer Member
  • enjoy every ride
  • Bike: 2012 explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2019, 08:36:36 AM »
Hi Guys,

Well i tried out the road 5's and they were a great feel, very sticky and sport bike  handling..... HOWEVER!! I got only 8300 Kms  Front and back worn out, Not Miles for all you in here who count in Miles "KILOMETERS"  :013:. I had the tires on the bike for only 4 months. That makes them a very expensive tire to run on my bike.
I got 14,000KMs front & 10,800KMs rear out of a set of Conti Trail Attack 2's once before so am now trying Conti Trail Atack 3's.  Just did a 560Km ride on new Conti's  keeping up with a zx 1400 Kwaker and he pushes hard. tires were great feel and I did ball up the sides a bit but I think they should last ok.

Cheers Andrew

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #109 on: August 17, 2019, 09:19:08 AM »
Ermmmm... that's "kilometres", Andrew.  (NiK will agree with me.)

I'm pretty happy with Pirelli Scorpions on my T1200.
https://motorbikewriter.com/pirelli-scorpion-trail-motorcycle-tyre-review/

Recent Topics

nonskid