Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Coolant Replace - run engine with tank off  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Rockhopp3r

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Los Angeles
Re: Coolant Replace - run engine with tank off
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 06:06:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by trade_nancy [+]
I am finding it very difficult to get the fuel balance pipes LHS and RHS to twist back on over the topmost flange of the fuel pipe. Impossible. Tight as a tight thing. Noticed the rear fitting is a straight pipe on the tank - so goes on slickly. But both front outlet pipes have two flanges. There doesn't seem to be enough fuel pipe to get a good grip on to twist and push it that extra bit. Goes on fine over 1st flange...but the top one just nudges on the lip of the hose. About 5mm to top of tank...I ended up snagging one on the lip of the outlet pipe - while using pliers wrapped up in tape to get a twist. Bugger. Now a wait for a new hose part. Just a bit nervous that I still will struggle to refit these. Any suggestions? I tries a squirt of silicone spray on one of the pipes - that didn't seem to help any. Maybe heat the damned thing in hot water? Can't be this tough....can it?
I did get the coolant job done. Made up some of the blanking pipes for the balance pipes, removed the tank..refilled with demin. water, refitted tank - just the main fuel connection and fuel pump connection...fired it up and ran 30 secs. Off with tank again, drained again and refilled with new coolant.
Final hurdle - get the balance pipes back on.... Thoughts?

I just ran into this thing today, what a PITA.

Here's what I did: Grab a small wrench that fits over the flange, but wont go over the tube. I used a 6 or 8 mm one, can't remember. Using the edge of the tank as fulcrum, push out the hose. I did this carefully and did not notice any damage to the tank. Even if there was, this part of the tank is covered up by like 4 fairings on top of each other...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 06:08:16 AM by Rockhopp3r »

Offline utahrpm

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: '17 XRX
  • City / Town: SLC, UT
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 01:41:19 AM »
Same problem on my Gen. 1. I purchased Motion Pro quick disconnects and installed them on all three balance hoses so I never had to deal with attempting to force the hoses back on again.

Offline trade_nancy

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer
  • City / Town: Manawatu
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 07:22:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by utahrpm [+]
Same problem on my Gen. 1. I purchased Motion Pro quick disconnects and installed them on all three balance hoses so I never had to deal with attempting to force the hoses back on again.
I'll try that...I might add a bit of electrical tape to the tank surface just in case...yank it out as the hose goes up..maybe.

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 02:04:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by utahrpm [+]
  That's a great idea, which size did you get?  Went to their website and there are several options, part number maybe?  Thanks!
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline trade_nancy

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 05:58:39 AM »
Finally..new fuel hose arrived today. On 1st look and touch - it is much more pliable than the other tubes. Tried a fit to the upturned tank - went on with little effort. So I think these fuel hoses are hardening up..that is why they are so faffing dickyfelt to refit. No surprise I guess. I have fuel hose I removed from my old Honda CB750 when I rebuilt that a few years back - they are as hard as pieces of 100 year old licorice. I'll refit the hoses, tank and test the radiator and fuel for leaks over the weekend. Not tonight - had a few wines with wifey.
Mark

Offline trade_nancy

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2018, 06:27:43 AM »
Started to fit the new fuel balance pipe hose. Noticed a white alien object just in front of the balance pipe crossover point - just below the headstock, lying on the rubber cover on the cam cover. it is white nylon, much like a hose fitting.  Can't see it has come off anything. My guess is  - it is assembler at factory debris? Any ideas. Hopfully the photo post works.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2018, 05:11:03 PM »
I don't recall seeing anything like that while doing my own 20k service.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline trade_nancy

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2018, 05:39:20 AM »
I guess it is something like a drift used to install bearing or similar. It has some tell-tale  knicks and signs of possible impact..or maybe a protective shield used to protect a delicate part until fitted.
Anyway. New fuel balance hose fitted, along with all the other bits...motor run up to warm. No fuel or water leaks! Pleased about that.
Inside for beers.
The install of the new and other side balance pipe actually ended up almost as difficult as the 1st time. With the tank fitted on the bike - the balance pipe has little wiggle room. Took 4-5 mins of struggle on each side to snug them up...even after "stretching" the ends with 1mm oversize inserts overnight..AND a smidgeon of grease on the 2nd one...was still a task I prefer to not repeat..until it all comes off again in 12k kilos for valve check service. 
I noticed the nuts on exhaust headers were not cranked up to the specified torque...turned with a 13mm spanner very easily. Tightened up those I could reach.

Recent Topics

nonskid