Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Coolant Replace - run engine with tank off  (Read 924 times)

Offline trade_nancy

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer
  • City / Town: Manawatu
Coolant Replace - run engine with tank off
« on: October 17, 2018, 05:38:13 PM »
Hi guys,
Am working thru Mark Barrett's service manual - doing air filter replace (done) and coolant dump. Am puzzling over the procedure Mark details for the process of refilling the radiator with new coolant..specifying topping up via the actual radiator cap..then running the engine for a while to get the water pump going - then topping up the radiator and replacing fuel tank. I assume he expects me to use fuel and electrical connections to do this? Or can the final topup be done via the overflow bottle - so as to leave the tank fitted? I was hoping to fill the radiator, refit tank, start up the motor and top up via the side bottle. Is tha OK?
I read his section on p74 - detailing the way to setup the extns..not sure what this means. Is the fuel line only to the pump outlet - leaving the balance pipes plugged? Should the connector to the fuel pump outlet be a specific match to that plastic slip and clip square box arrangement?
Regards
Mark Nansett
NZ

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
Re: Coolant Replace - run engine with tank off
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 06:18:10 PM »
I just slacken off the bleed screw in the hose on the top right and put the bike on the centre stand. Fill up until coolant comes out at the bleed point, tighten that down (not a lot), and top off at the fill point. In theory there might be a little air in there, but in practice it works fine.

The other thing I don't do from his manual is run the engine with the tank electrics disconnected to depressurise the fuel line before disconnecting it. I've never found any residual pressure to make it spurt.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 03:43:34 AM »
Mark Barrett used to sell a connection kit that extended the fuel lines and electrical connections. He no longer does. There are parts for this that you can order from Triumph. So far, I have found them unnecessary. As noted above, I just filled till the bleed valve dribbled and then ran it then topped it up and went for a ride. No issues.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline trade_nancy

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 03:52:22 AM »
Thanks guys..will follow suit.

Offline eps

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 09:58:24 PM »
Yep - as agreed with the Captain above  !!

Offline trade_nancy

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 12:42:56 AM »
I am finding it very difficult to get the fuel balance pipes LHS and RHS to twist back on over the topmost flange of the fuel pipe. Impossible. Tight as a tight thing. Noticed the rear fitting is a straight pipe on the tank - so goes on slickly. But both front outlet pipes have two flanges. There doesn't seem to be enough fuel pipe to get a good grip on to twist and push it that extra bit. Goes on fine over 1st flange...but the top one just nudges on the lip of the hose. About 5mm to top of tank...I ended up snagging one on the lip of the outlet pipe - while using pliers wrapped up in tape to get a twist. Bugger. Now a wait for a new hose part. Just a bit nervous that I still will struggle to refit these. Any suggestions? I tries a squirt of silicone spray on one of the pipes - that didn't seem to help any. Maybe heat the damned thing in hot water? Can't be this tough....can it?
I did get the coolant job done. Made up some of the blanking pipes for the balance pipes, removed the tank..refilled with demin. water, refitted tank - just the main fuel connection and fuel pump connection...fired it up and ran 30 secs. Off with tank again, drained again and refilled with new coolant.
Final hurdle - get the balance pipes back on.... Thoughts?

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 01:12:24 AM »
I can't recall having any particular difficulty in reseating the hoses. The only comment from Mark's manual is that the two rear/central hoses that run from the filler are different sizes and not interchangeable. One is the fuel tank vent and the other is the drain hose that runs from the filler neck.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline trade_nancy

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 03:09:27 AM »
Yes - I saw that comment in his book. I have now removed the offending tubing junction..and tested it on the ground - I have the fuel tank empty and upside down on rugs. Couldn't seat it with a fair amount of twisting. So no hope of doing it in the confined space under the tank on the bike. So I boiled up the jug and dropped the offending tube end in the hot water for 10 mins..just managed to twist it on. I wondered if others didn't even zip the tubing all the way up past the top rung...but i do recollect the hose being snug up to the tank before I removed it..I think. I'll get a new part underway and try again. Luckily the bike is not being used for a while anyway until I have an eye operation done next week (cataract)..so not worried about the down time. Just miffed to make a blunder.

Offline trade_nancy

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 01:23:19 AM »
Update.
Three week wait for balance pipe part to come from UK! Meantime...tested the balance pipes by inserting an 8mm socket in the top 5mm or so of the hose and left it overnight. That made fitting back onto the outlet achievable. I'll be interested to see if the new part is able to be fitted as-is..if so - I'm assuming the fuel pipes have hardened/shrunk over 3.5 yrs.

Offline eps

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 10:39:11 PM »
Yep  _ I can relate to that ! I use a bit of grease on the rubber pipes but they are not easy to refit ! Suppose they are not meant to come off easy either !  :008:

Recent Topics

nonskid