Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: SKF Low Friction Fork Seals  (Read 535 times)

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
SKF Low Friction Fork Seals
« on: October 19, 2018, 12:12:32 AM »
Guys, does anyone have the part number for the SKF low fritcion seals and wiper? 2013 1200XC?

Side note, fork bushes, are there aftermarkets available?

Any info much appreciated.

Cheers

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
Re: SKF Low Friction Fork Seals
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 12:54:03 PM »
I assume you are looking to refurbish the forks, which is fine and you should be able to find replacement cartridges if that's what you want to do, people like Maxton's will supply these https://www.maxtonsuspension.co.uk/

Regarding fork seals, I would warn you not to try cutting costs, most OEM parts are made to a specification and standard SKF parts may not be directly compatible, then there's the issue of warranty, I had my Tiger 800 refurbished by Maxton's and they used standard OEM Triumph seals, when I had a problem with one of the seals my local dealer replaced them FOC, because they were OEM.
I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 01:50:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
I assume you are looking to refurbish the forks, which is fine and you should be able to find replacement cartridges if that's what you want to do, people like Maxton's will supply these https://www.maxtonsuspension.co.uk/

Regarding fork seals, I would warn you not to try cutting costs, most OEM parts are made to a specification and standard SKF parts may not be directly compatible, then there's the issue of warranty, I had my Tiger 800 refurbished by Maxton's and they used standard OEM Triumph seals, when I had a problem with one of the seals my local dealer replaced them FOC, because they were OEM.

Thanks for the reply mate. I cant agree with you on the seals though...SKF are superior to the stock seals and fitment is never an issue provided you use dimensionally correct replacements. 30 years as an engineer and working with hydraulics and never had an issue with using none OEM seals, bearings etc...just dont use the Chinese crap!!

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 01:02:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dragon88 [+]
Thanks for the reply mate. I cant agree with you on the seals though...SKF are superior to the stock seals and fitment is never an issue provided you use dimensionally correct replacements. 30 years as an engineer and working with hydraulics and never had an issue with using none OEM seals, bearings etc...just dont use the Chinese crap!!

I see your 30 years and raise you to 44 years  :008:

SKF make a wide variety of seals and bearings, as with all manufacturers they will tailor the materials used to suit the specific application, so while one type is used for high pressure, slow moving hydraulic rams, something completely different will be used for a bikes front forks, the materials needing to be much more abrasion resistant for one. SKF are industry standard for high quality bearings and to a lesser degree oil seals, but their are many others, especially from Europe, Scandinavia and Japan, that make seals and bearings of equal quality and durability, don't forget Triumph buy them in from another manufacturer to meet their spec'

Maxton's make their own suspension parts, but still use OEM seals because they know what they're getting and that (wherever they originated) they are "fit for purpose", the only problem with using non-OEM is that you don't know whether they meet the duty requirements and that's why Triumph (and others) will not honour their warranty for them, it's not a question of whether SKF are better, or worse.

From Brook Suspension (Tiger 800, but probs the same) https://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/triumph-tiger-800-genuine-fork-oil-seals-10-14/
About NOK
NOK is Japan’s longest established fork oil seal and guide/slide bush manufacturer. Their products, created through advanced technology, are not only employed in the automotive industry but are also used in a wide range of other industries.
NOK have developed into a world leading company in terms of reliability and quality by leveraging the technology and know-how accumulated since the company was founded in 1941.
NOK now produce the vast majority of seals and bushes found in OEM motorcycle forks and are very well regarded for their great quality. We use them daily in our own workshop and they are, without doubt, the best in the business.
I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 09:34:42 PM »
I left my legs into a local dealer to replace leaking seals - the first ones lasted about 6 months and to be fair they did the second job FOC - but I did give them both repalcement OEM seals and bushes. Been fine ever since.  :002:

Recent Topics

nonskid