Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2017 XCA Trickle-charging  (Read 508 times)

Offline PatM

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XCA 2017
  • City / Town: Maidstone
2017 XCA Trickle-charging
« on: October 19, 2018, 03:45:00 PM »
Ive just collected my new bike today- with 1009 miles on i-its the 'newer' type with the TFT screen, registed late Oct 18- so a Gen3?- I ask as there was a differenc of opinion due to its 'age'

Anyway, my old 2013 used to sit with the trickle-charger plugged in when it wasnt in use- via the auxillary electrical socket by the tank.

Ive plugged my charger in and the charger suggests the battery is nearly flat as it should light 2 ambers- thought occured- it the socket permanently live like the old ones?
if not, ill have to fit a lead, which I wanted to avoid...
Patrick J Morgan

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: 2017 XCA Trickle-charging
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 03:53:39 PM »
You have a Gen 3 yes, TFT is the visual giveaway (although the entry level Gen 3 XR model still uses the old clocks). Yes, that front socket is live, it is a convenient socket for the Optimate using the Triumph supplied Optimate adapter A9930416.

Offline PatM

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 06:50:36 PM »
Thnaks XCa- I hope as much!

Ive been for a run on it this evening and its obviously cherged up a bit more, so plugged it in and the final amber light is almost fully illuminated  (Oxfod charger on that bike)- even though i had the heated seat and grips on full for all the way (60 miles, country lanes- maidstone to Hawkhurst and return) My guess is the battery had been charged at the Dealers and it hand been 'jumped' or boosted before i had collected it.
Anyway, back full of smiles- Its a vast improvement over my 'old' one. more toys to play with, much quieter, better gearbox and more oomph when called for. So many extras, LED'S, Daytime running and automatic lights on. it takes a bit of getting used to all the switches!
Patrick J Morgan

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 12:35:57 AM »
Have you looked under the seat?  You should find an optimate socket lurking there.  (Well there is on my XRT.)

Offline PatM

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 06:20:06 AM »
Thanks- I did look under the seat and I noticed a white stray connector, but Id not bother to check if it was live. It might be worth me checking it out with a meter (Now Ive explored the bike a bit more thoroughly) as it may be the point that I connect my heated jacket to.
The socket on the tank seems to be working for the same purpose as my last TEX- to plug the charger in.

I used to have 2 connections direct to the battery on the old one- one for the Jacket/gloves (KEIS) the other for the OXFORD heated overgrows- these I dont need anymore, obviously.
Patrick J Morgan

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 07:38:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by kenw [+]
Have you looked under the seat?  You should find an optimate socket lurking there.  (Well there is on my XRT.)
That’s not standard if it is there someone put it there. I do wire my Keis cable direct to the battery and have the cable pop out at the front seat edge, it's a handy enogh location.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 07:44:20 AM by XCaTel »

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 07:49:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by PatM [+]
Thanks- I did look under the seat and I noticed a white stray connector, but Id not bother to check if it was live. It might be worth me checking it out with a meter (Now Ive explored the bike a bit more thoroughly) as it may be the point that I connect my heated jacket to.
The socket on the tank seems to be working for the same purpose as my last TEX- to plug the charger in.

I used to have 2 connections direct to the battery on the old one- one for the Jacket/gloves (KEIS) the other for the OXFORD heated overgrows- these I dont need anymore, obviously.
PatM, this Gen 3 has a CANBUS electrical system, be very wary hooking anything off any part of the loom, either go direct to the battery or us a power block on that battery (there is one mentioned on this forum somewhere at a very reasonable price).

Offline PatM

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 07:58:50 AM »
Thanks XCaTel- I need to fish out the KEIS again, connect it all up with an ammeter in sieres to measure how much it draws, full whack. The 'Manual' says 5a, from by BMW works days, the GERBING took about 8 amps at times- they simply wouldnt allow the scoket to run the clothing, so it was a lead hanging down.

Yesterday, I was being lazy and overwhelmed with new purchase, yet trying to do a days work (cos thats what pays for it!)- Last night I got a chance to ride it.

Today, ive got a bit more spare time to look at the bike properly and make the right decisions. I favour a lead to the battery, but the battery isnt as accessable as the last Explorer (2013)

CANBUS is the work of the Devil if it gets something poked up it Jaxi that it didnt expect- You are correct to caution!
Patrick J Morgan

Offline PatM

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 12:05:16 PM »
Battery NOT difficult to get to, despite the instructions in the Handbook about the cover and body module/fuse box.

I Connected the lead to the battery because current drain flucutuates with gloves and jacket both on full  between 5 and 8 amps via the PWM controller in both garments. Ive got KEIS 25 jacket/gloves.

Gerbings draws slightly more, as I still have my kit from my BMW days. Gerbings old style (2008?) use wires as the heating elements rather than 'pads' as the modern solution. Gerbings use carbon fibre elements in their gloves- new style- Great when they work but not fun when the elemnt breaks and you have to repair...(which you can- just unpick the inner lining and you WILL find the break- Off the back of the power input. Blob of solder and heat shrink to make a mechanical connection.

Heated gear is great but fragile for everyday multi- use. Dont be put off, it makes riding all year round bearable- Just be prepared to fork out of repair a couple of times.
Patrick J Morgan

Recent Topics

nonskid