Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tire selection.......  (Read 1450 times)

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
Tire selection.......
« on: October 21, 2018, 01:45:06 AM »
I've been reading up on which tires I should choose when the OE's are used up.
Before I even broke in the bike, I anticipated changing tires for something more "road worthy". Little did I know the Metzler Tourance tires are just fine and I won't be replacing them until their worn. Found out it was mostly me and the way my bike was set up when I was blaming my tires.
I came across this Utube video from a local rider that pretty much sums up my feelings. Your tires are probably pretty good, us maybe not so much.

Thoughts?

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Tire selection.......
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 06:53:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by FredJ9 [+]
Thoughts?
Even people who can't articulate why, can tell you when one pair of tires feels better than another. They will often tell you that they feel more confident on tire B than they did on tire A. It is the same for me. In my case, I am much happier riding my TEX with a set of pure road tires on it. They inspire confidence for me and are much quieter compared to the OEM ADV style tires. And, at almost 17k kms, they have also worn much more evenly and much more slowly. They are a better fit for my riding style.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline TigerGB

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2017 explorer xca
  • City / Town: Strathmore
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 02:03:31 PM »
Hi

I would just like to know what tires you are running.

THanks

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 03:49:07 PM »
I'm running what the Gen1 came with, Metzler Tourance.
Like CT, I'm switching to a 100% road tire when they wear out because I don't do off road...well maybe a dirt road here and there, but no adventure riding. My bikes suspension is set up for the street, just the way I want it.

Offline Traxx

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 XRX 1200
  • City / Town: Fort Worth
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 04:10:46 PM »
Same here, since I am all on road touring the road 5 trail will be installed when the stockers wear out.
Tread lightly my friends.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 04:33:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by TigerGB [+]
Hi

I would just like to know what tires you are running.

THanks
PR4 Trail on the front and PR4 GT on the rear.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 07:48:58 PM »
I  installed a set of Metzeler  Roadtec 01s..I took the stockers off with only 1100 miles on them as they are not at all confidence inspiring on  cold and wet roads .

Ive run through 3 sets of Roadtecs on my other bike so I know what to expect from them.

Offline TRITIGEX

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: DH
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 10:01:10 AM »
Bridgestone T31's  :020:

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 12:30:31 PM »
Yeap, like captain said - every rider has a different taste, love and feel for the same set of tires. To make sure that I add my invaluable opinion to the mix and confuse things even more:

Michelin Anakee IIIs - I'd swear my life on them the best tires that were ever produced for an adventure bike
And if you like offroad + heavy load travel + long distance - high speeds then I'd recommend Mitas E07 Dakkar Editions.

:821:

In the end, it's all about how you ride and what you like to do with your rides.

:305:

"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 01:28:39 PM »
Most of my riding is commuting. I take a few long rides with friends a few times a year.  I like 80/20 type of tires because on long rides may come across a dirt/trail I want to travel. When I go on a ride where I expect to be on more dirt than road a more aggressive tread will go on. Out here I see allot of beemers sporting knobby tires. By the looks of the bikes they see as much off road as a Ferrari. Wasted rubber and handicapping the bike.

I’ll tell you this though. I am completely done with shinko tires. Two different sets with two complete sets of problems.
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Recent Topics

nonskid