Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Roscoff through the South of France  (Read 258 times)

Offline maccers

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer xca
  • City / Town: Belfast
Roscoff through the South of France
« on: October 22, 2018, 04:21:24 PM »
Hi All : I toured the North of France Via the Dublin to Roscoff ferry in May. Anyway im looking at the South of France in May 2019 , the Pyrenees Possibly Spain etc. Any ideas on good routes and suggestions of things to see and roads to ride? Oh and the beer to Try of course  :821: :821:

Offline eps

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
Re: Roscoff through the South of France
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 10:40:01 PM »
You have loads of options - Brittany itself is lovely - bit like Donegal in places - also no toll roads. Once out of Brittany try to stick to A and B roads - they call them D Routes to avoid motorways and tolls. I'm planning something similar next year - heading to Pau for the historic Grand Prix hopefully in May - this gets you down towards the Pyrennes. Depending on how far you want to go then try the N260 to Sort from Jaca. Or alternatively head into Spain and the Picos - great riding - loads of vacant roads - good scenery.

Have fun  :001:

Offline maccers

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer xca
  • City / Town: Belfast
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 10:49:30 PM »
thanks. I will be on my bike so fun is automatic lol.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 09:25:23 AM »
From the bigger to the smaller: A for Autoroute (E in European standard), N for Nationale, D for Departementale, R for Route Communale (but if you're on such a R road, you're probably already lost ;-).
D roads can be highway wide or near asphaltless tight ;-)

As for fun, in the South West quarter of France, you can't really go wrong on 'D' roads ;-)

Offline eps

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 09:45:41 PM »
Sometimes its worth not travelleing big daily distances and just enjoying the local stuff. Northern France is lovely too - just depends on how far your comfortable driving each day. The WW2 sites around Cherbourg are very moving, but heading down to the south is fantastic too.  :001:

Recent Topics