Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cooling debacle, happy ending!  (Read 864 times)

Offline FL_Explorer

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Never take a laxative & a sleeping pill together
  • Bike: '14 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Dade City, FL
Cooling debacle, happy ending!
« on: October 23, 2018, 07:26:00 PM »
I took my Gen1 TEx to Mississippi this weekend from Florida to attend the "Delta Hot Tamale Festival" in Greenville.  I had a wonderful time eating far too many tamales (and other MS foods) and visiting with family.  Even went to a gun show held in Jackson, MS on Sunday where I witnessed my father-in-law lose his mind and spend far too much money on a Springfield M1A.  I'm glad he got the rifle he "always wanted" since getting out of the service but I would've liked to hear him mention it at least once in all the years I've known him before he saw it and just had to buy it, but I digress...

I was riding home Sunday night/Monday morning and southbound and down on I-75 when I came across construction being done on the highway.  Real shocker, I know.  Anyway, as I'm sitting in traffic at about midnight with temps in the mid 60s, I notice my temperature gauge creeping up past mid way.  I didn't think too much about it until I detected a lack of cooling fan activity and the temp still rising.  As I was trying to make my way to the shoulder of the road, the red light came on and the cooling bar started to flash.  I had reached the shoulder so I rode it past all the construction and watched the temps begin to drop with the now-present airflow.

I pulled into the next rest stop and let the bike idle to see if the problem reoccurred and sure enough it did.  I didn't let get all the way up to the red light state though.  I thought I was gonna be in a pickle if I ran into more construction but also knew I was only about an hour from home so I could take the well-traveled back roads home.  On a whim, I checked this forum to see if there were any known problems with the Gen1's cooling fan.  Lo and behold, I found a thread from a few years back where the author found a pebble or stick or something jammed in the fan making it so it wouldn't spin.  It subsequently popped his fuse.

I decided to check mine and guess what???  There was something stuck in the fan!  I never did see what it was because it was dark and the ground where I was parked had pebbles all over the place.  But after I heard it clank out the fan turned easily!  Yay me!  For grins, I pulled the seats and checked the fuse.  Everything looked fine and when I started the bike up and let it idle, the cooling fan kicked on like it's supposed to!

Moral of the story...  This forum continues to be such a great resource for me.  Even though checking the fan for an obstruction isn't rocket science, it is something I didn't think to do on my own.  Thank you forum and I'm glad I'm still a member here.  Even though I don't contribute much these days.

Maybe if I upgrade the Gen1 one of these days?  Nah, I'm too happy with my 2014 still. 
Ride safe, and ride often!
Keith

Offline TEXICO

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 2013
  • City / Town: Kent
Re: Cooling debacle, happy ending!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 07:40:14 PM »
Yay a nice story with a happy ending. I’m with you bud, still enjoying my gen1 too much to seriously consider upgrading

Offline eps

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 09:56:35 PM »
excellent write up - its good to know it ended all ok. And its all too easy to jump to the worst case scenario when it turns out to be something relatively simple. Love my Gen1 too - cant see me changing it anytime soon.  :002:

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 03:32:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by FL_Explorer [+]
Moral of the story...  This forum continues to be such a great resource for me.  Even though checking the fan for an obstruction isn't rocket science, it is something I didn't think to do on my own.  Thank you forum and I'm glad I'm still a member here.  Even though I don't contribute much these days.
I couldn't agree more! Forums like this one have been a huge benefit for me over the years.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Red Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 04:04:09 AM »
Good that it was a simple fix, Keith. 
A friend had his fan stopped by some obstruction on his GS650 (actually 800) and it burnt out the motor.  A BMW replacement was going to cost heaps, so his enterprising repairman put a Suzuki motor in.  Nice to know a TEx just blows a fuse.

This forum is indeed a great source of info about our bikes.
But forums like this also serve a social purpose of keeping people connected to others, which helps stop some going off the rails.  Sometimes we all need a friend, and it gets that friends can be folk across the other side of the world, a few keystrokes away.  (Well I like to think so anyway.)
It also facilitates bringing people together.  (Though I'm yet to find another TEx/Tiger owner in my neck of the woods to ride with.)

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 08:32:00 AM »
How the heck could a pebble get stuck into your fan?!
Oh wait, you're that FL_Explorer who always takes the forbidden tracks past the barriers!
(c;

(and I got myself one stuck in my rear speed sensor, thus destroying my final drive housing)

Never understimate the lethal power of pebbles!

Offline FL_Explorer

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Never take a laxative & a sleeping pill together
  • Bike: '14 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Dade City, FL
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 09:39:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
How the heck could a pebble get stuck into your fan?!
Oh wait, you're that FL_Explorer who always takes the forbidden tracks past the barriers!
(c;

(and I got myself one stuck in my rear speed sensor, thus destroying my final drive housing)

Never understimate the lethal power of pebbles!
Guilty as charged!  I found myself exploring a few back country roads in Mississippi and Alabama this weekend and likely that’s when I picked up the hitchhiker that caused me the grief. I severely cut back on the remote area exploration with the Triumph when I bought the Honda CRF250L but every once in a while, I can’t resist the availability of potential trouble!
Ride safe, and ride often!
Keith

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 04:16:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by kenw [+]
A friend had his fan stopped by some obstruction on his GS650 (actually 800) and it burnt out the motor.  A BMW replacement was going to cost heaps, so his enterprising repairman put a Suzuki motor in.
My riding buddy has an early F650GS and an F800ST in the family. Both fans eventually quit working properly, due to a controller issue. He ended up hard wiring them with dash mounted switch so that his wife and son could just turn it on manually when they were stuck in traffic. Simple solutions for expensive BMW problems.  :038:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 08:05:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by FL_Explorer [+]
On a whim, I checked this forum to see if there were any known problems with the Gen1's cooling fan.  Lo and behold, I found a thread from a few years back where the author found a pebble or stick or something jammed in the fan making it so it wouldn't spin.  It subsequently popped his fuse.

That was me FL.  Delighted to hear that my experiences are still of assistance albeit I no longer have my former beloved Gen 1  :047:

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 03:23:20 PM »
Yup, great info on here, glad you got it figured out.  It's nice to know there's a resource available while on the road, not to mention the social aspects.  Just finishing up a five day ride to Colorado, heading back to San Diego after breakfast here in Prescott, Arizona.  Bike has been flawless, knock on wood!
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Recent Topics