Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Triumph Scrambler 1200  (Read 1124 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
New Triumph Scrambler 1200
« on: October 25, 2018, 03:10:32 PM »
Went to the launch of the new Triumph 1200 Scrambler last night at the Excel centre in London - quite an impressive machine I think there will definitely be a market for it, 90bhp Thruxton engine, plenty of options, if you are looking for a lighter weight 1200 but don't want the 800 Tiger, the new Scrambler could be a contender IMO.

Couple of interesting features though - which makes me wonder whether these will appear on the Tiger sometime in the future - TFT-2 screen with built in Sat Nav, also they have a GoPro option which builds into the bike somehow (I couldn't get close to one to see how, but it was mentioned in the list of options / standard features).

Will be interesting to see the prices which come out on 23/11 (I think). I might just have to go have a look at one.... :005:

Apologies for picture quality, taken with my iPhone and the light in the hall wasn't the best!

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: New Triumph Scrambler 1200
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 04:19:42 PM »
Optioning seems a bit weird. Integrated Satnav would seem to point towards touring, but the high scrambler style pipe and squared off saddle put the brakes on that. I noticed the messenger size bag is mounted solo on the left side of the bike (due to the scrambler exhaust). Not sure who this bike is aimed at, but I suspect it is more form than function.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 04:43:38 PM »
I like the looks of it and I expect it will be a hoot to ride around town. It may even perform OK-ish on the dirt if the low front mudguard is raised and proper off-road rubber fitted. But it will need the exhaust changed to allow luggage & a far bigger tank if its going to be a round-the-world contender, but Triumph never intended that so won't be bothered. They sell T12 & T800 for adventure & the scramblers for style. This will just give a pinch of hard edged credibility for buyers more interested in style than genuine credibility. It will be the big crowd puller at the NEC show and we won't be able to get near it for the crush. I expect they'll sell loads!

Offline Hax

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: '19 XRX

Offline Hawk281

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Thousand Oaks, Ca
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 12:28:22 AM »
Just got say, whats with the current love of "Scramblers". I remember those days of 305 Hondas, Yamaha Big Bears, Kawasaki Avengers, Triumph Bonneys and Suzuki Hustlers. They were heavy, underpowered and didnt handle worth a damm. Granted, other than a straight on dirt bike, its all we had, but why bring all that back? A lot of money to relive the "old days", when we didnt know better. I know Ill get yelled at about this, thanks, but no thanks. Truimph needs to spend the time making what they have better! :024:

Offline organaphus

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: explorer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 07:07:42 AM »
Triumph are doing what they have to do, they are following the market. There is currently a demand for bikes with off road 'attitude'. This new bike is pitched against the Ducati scrambler. If you know the history of Triumph, you'll know that failure to keep up with other manufacturers bankrupted them in the 80's.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 04:21:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by organaphus [+]
Triumph are doing what they have to do, they are following the market. There is currently a demand for bikes with off road 'attitude'. This new bike is pitched against the Ducati scrambler. If you know the history of Triumph, you'll know that failure to keep up with other manufacturers bankrupted them in the 80's.
Of course, the need to follow the market has produced things like BMW boxer powered cruisers among others.

While we think about trail riding, I believe that the scrambler was really a tribute to dirt track racing bikes and possibly hill climbing, both of which were done with stripped down HD bikes.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 04:43:27 PM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Hawk281

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Thousand Oaks, Ca
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 07:19:24 PM »

While we think about trail riding, I believe that the scrambler was really a tribute to dirt track racing bikes and possibly hill climbing, both of which were done with stripped down HD bikes.
[/quote]

That is true, I raced a stripped Bonney on half mile as a "kid" many years ago, and trail rode a 305. If you hit anything with it, it just kept going. Still does change the fact that these things are not desert bikes (as shown in the Ads, by professional riders). Do I ride my Tiger offload, not really, well maybe a fireroad. I not going to drop a $21000 bike in the dirt. I have a 350 for that.

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 05:40:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by Hawk281 [+]
Just got say, whats with the current love of "Scramblers". I remember those days of 305 Hondas, Yamaha Big Bears, Kawasaki Avengers, Triumph Bonneys and Suzuki Hustlers. They were heavy, underpowered and didnt handle worth a damm. Granted, other than a straight on dirt bike, its all we had, but why bring all that back? A lot of money to relive the "old days", when we didnt know better. I know Ill get yelled at about this, thanks, but no thanks. Truimph needs to spend the time making what they have better! :024:
I have been on some of those old bikes, they were what I cut my teeth on and I think Triumph would have to load side bags with bowling balls and disconnect one cylinder to better approximate the ride and feel those old bikes had.  The scrambler might look the part but they feel better than the old low tech machines. 

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 08:02:33 PM »
I took one out for a spin up the Wicklow Mountains for an hour on Saturday and as the saying goes "I rode it like I stole it". It is an awesome machine, couldn't be more different to the Tiger if it tried.

The dead obvious – wind/rain protection at speed lacking. But if I had good gear and a week travelling the Wild Atlantic Way or other non-Motorway roads say in Scotland, it would be fine. Perhaps refreshingly nice to pack a 7 days’ worth of underwear and a toothbrush and leave it at that! Two up and camping, forget it, solo and hostels/hotels all the way!

Seat is firm but comfortable (for an hour anyway). Engine 50 HP (roughly) down on the Tiger but I reckon I was faster on this in the twisty mountain roads despite the large 21” front wheel, it handles beautifully. It is about 35Kg lighter and you can feel it. Not sure what the official seat height is but my feet were more firmly planted on the floor and I wouldn’t lower it as I have on my Tiger. In saying that I don’t know where the rear preload was set as it is a little involved to get to so that may change the ride height when adjusted for your weight. Suspension, plush without being overly soft, no chance to adjust any suspension settings though so I didn’t get a feel for the range of adjustment.

The new TFT clocks, not as easy to read as on the Gen 3 Tiger, its quite small but maybe that’s just my age of my eyes! If you ever need “traction” as in physio on the arms have a test ride of one of these, my arms are an inch longer now! I kept slipping back on the bench seat to under hard acceleration too. Sitting down the riding position was much easier on my shoulder blades, less of a reach going on, very pleasant. Standing up for off-road (I didn’t go off-road), terrible compared to the Tiger, legs pushed by the exhaust and side panels, didn’t feel natural at all. Like the Tiger, I suspect most won’t do much off-roading, but this might annoy you if that is your bag.

Weirdly the engine reminded me of my old Suzuki T500 2-Stroke. You were always hunting for the power band with the gears. On the scrambler I found myself hunting the peak torque with the gears, go figure? Not out of necessity of course, just for the maximum grin factor. You’d miss the Triples wave of unending power delivery though, that’s just not there, naturally. Like the Tiger it is very easy to ride sedately, fueling typically smooth Triumph.

Would I have one, in a heartbeat. Would I trade my Tiger for it, not a chance!

Recent Topics