Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hard to start. Stalling at lights  (Read 4245 times)

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
Hard to start. Stalling at lights
« on: October 27, 2018, 12:02:26 AM »
Well bike gotta go in. Finished an 1100 mile trip through Midwest where the bike ran flawlessly. Few hot start issues where took a few tries to get started. Now tried to reboot via idle for 15 minutes but bike stalls during. Idle really rough. Plugged evap canister (California sh#t) no help. Weird thing is some days there is nothing wrong. Others yuck. Tech on the phone said valves might be the issue. Seems odd since it is intermittent. See alighting the throttles help.
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Offline Traxx

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 XRX 1200
  • City / Town: Fort Worth
Re: Hard to start. Stalling at lights
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 01:28:02 AM »
I had the same issue with a BMW F800GS and it turned out to be the little stone in the check valve.
Tread lightly my friends.

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 03:51:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by anaheimtex [+]
Well bike gotta go in. Finished an 1100 mile trip through Midwest where the bike ran flawlessly. Few hot start issues where took a few tries to get started. Now tried to reboot via idle for 15 minutes but bike stalls during. Idle really rough. Plugged evap canister (California sh#t) no help. Weird thing is some days there is nothing wrong. Others yuck. Tech on the phone said valves might be the issue. Seems odd since it is intermittent. See alighting the throttles help.

Are you overly zealous with washing or a pressure washer ?   I saw a 1st generation once that was doing a Tech's head in with this intermittent poor running with no error codes. He eventually found water and corrosion in one or two of the main loom connectors. Problem solved.

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 09:05:49 PM »
Wash. Hahaha. At dealer. Letting them diagnose the issue. Needs valve adjust and throttle synchronized anyway. 

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 08:44:28 PM »
update :232:, seems an exhaust valve is burned out.  warrantee expired one day before.  so the dealer is trying to get triumph to good will parts but labor is all me.  Either way, bike getting fixed then sold.  off to bmw for me. 

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 09:30:37 PM »
Does seem a bit odd if it was an intermittant fault. Whats mileage ? Were the valve clearances checked properly ? I have nearly 30k on mine now - no problems

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 02:56:54 AM »
25k miles. All service intervals completed.

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 08:54:01 AM »
You would suspect that the valve service was not carried out properly at 20K, was it done at a dealer or an independent? Is there a record of what the valve clearances were at the 20k service and what if any corrective action was taken with new shims? If the valve is burnt out it points a finger at it not closing fully due to the clearance closing up.

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 02:35:12 PM »
No such record for my bike.  But your are right.  Or could just be a crappy valve.  I will look at the valve in question when they remove the head.  Im still skeptical about a valve being the culprit.  I better see a damaged valve or stuck open when head removed 

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 02:50:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by anaheimtex [+]
No such record for my bike.  But your are right.  Or could just be a crappy valve.  I will look at the valve in question when they remove the head.  Im still skeptical about a valve being the culprit.  I better see a damaged valve or stuck open when head removed
The exhaust valve will burn if the valve clearance goes to zero. Shim and bucket valves tighten (not loosen) as they wear. I would suspect that the exhaust valve was not adjusted correctly (or at all) during the 20k major service. They should check the valve clearance FIRST before they take the engine apart.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics