Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Spain ...part 2...  (Read 1434 times)

Offline stealingbacktime

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 XRx Cobalt blue
  • City / Town: Holmefirth
Spain ...part 2...
« on: November 03, 2018, 10:33:12 PM »
Well thanks for all the advise and information peeps.....

We are going from Satander to Garaillos,Almeria ! !

Ferry booked Plymouth to Santander,same route on the way home. I know that is was suggested going back via Bilbo but there was no ferries that fitted in with our dates.

On the way out stopping for one night just outside Toledo and on the return leg one night just outside Segovia.

Been over to CMC at Chesterfield just to have a look at kit for my GF...who came out with new boots,jacket and gloves ! Does that sound familiar Stillwobbling...... :001:

Looking at satnavs next TomTom 550 seems to be the flavour of the month cheaper than the Garmin....

Any more advice will be greatly appricaited ! !
3 of the 4 voices keep telling me to go to sleep...the 4th voice wants to know if penguins have knees....

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Spain ...part 2...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 06:55:21 PM »
Tom Tom 550 super bit of kit, not too large and very fast screen changes etc. If you an your GF are going to have headsets between you turn off the voice guidance on the Sat Nav, it just makes it a pain to chat to each other in built up areas as it constantly buts in with directions(Assuming you paired it with the headset which you may want to do for phone use). It is very easy to switch the voice guidance on and off without going through a heap of menus. Have a great trip! 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 06:57:49 PM by XCaTel »

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 07:13:04 PM »
Definitely have a headset - I blue -tooth mine to my phone so I can listen to music.

Use pannier bags !!!! Also pack carefully so that when your on the Santander ferry you can just remove one of the pannier bags rather than take the whole box - or more bags than you need.  Also take a small lock so you can lock helmets to bike rather than carting them up to cabin.

Fit an uxilaary USB power point for charging phones when on the move. I take an emergency power supply too.

Have fun

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 11:39:36 PM »
I have the Zumo 590LM - I know it's expensive but after suffering in the hands of many devices (including the first gen TomTom Rider) this GPS is worth every penny in my book. You do get what you pay for - imho.

Good luck, safe trip, and send some videos & pictures please. You know, for those of us who cannot go  :821:

:305:  :821: :821:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 07:15:19 AM »
Top tip for that ferry. (I saw someone else do this and i wish i had thought of it.)

Strip off your bike gear on the car deck and leave it with the bike. You'll get some funny looks, but so what.

Protect your modesty with suitable undergarments!

Change into casual gear, and you'll be much more comfortable.

I kept my gear on, and although it was lightweight stuff, i wasnt comfortable.

I guess you have booked a cabin. If you are seasick (like me) a dark cabin to lie down is a must when you cross the Bay of Biscay.

You will have a lovely i time. Best biking in Europe (imo).
--------
If not now, when?

Offline TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 07:18:53 AM »
Sorry, that was off topic.

What i meant to say was Tomtom 450.

But each has its fans.

I wasted a few hours last week trying to add Euopean maps to a Garmin Nuvi, and failing and wasting my money.

*Originally Posted by TotnesSteve [+]
Top tip for that ferry. (I saw someone else do this and i wish i had thought of it.)

Strip off your bike gear on the car deck and leave it with the bike. You'll get some funny looks, but so what.

Protect your modesty with suitable undergarments!

Change into casual gear, and you'll be much more comfortable.

I kept my gear on, and although it was lightweight stuff, i wasnt comfortable.

I guess you have booked a cabin. If you are seasick (like me) a dark cabin to lie down is a must when you cross the Bay of Biscay.

You will have a lovely i time. Best biking in Europe (imo).
--------
If not now, when?

Online Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 10:53:57 AM »
To underline to whats been said about leaving bike gear on the bike & having one bag to take to the cabin.......they ask you to leave your cabin before the ferry's even docked so keep hand luggage to a minimum 'coz you'll be sat around in a corridor with it all for half an hour or more. Wait as long as you can to go down to the bike as it will be hot, sweaty & unpleasant down there. And don't add to the stifling atmosphere by starting your engine until the last minute - its amazing the number of t**ts who fire up their bikes & slowly fill the hold with fumes because they think they'll get off quicker!

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 08:53:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
To underline to whats been said about leaving bike gear on the bike & having one bag to take to the cabin.......they ask you to leave your cabin before the ferry's even docked so keep hand luggage to a minimum 'coz you'll be sat around in a corridor with it all for half an hour or more. Wait as long as you can to go down to the bike as it will be hot, sweaty & unpleasant down there. And don't add to the stifling atmosphere by starting your engine until the last minute - its amazing the number of t**ts who fire up their bikes & slowly fill the hold with fumes because they think they'll get off quicker!
Totally agree - you are usually in the very bottom level on the car decks so will be waiting in an oven !! Worth it though when you get ot the good biking roads in Spain - enjoy it !!

Offline TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 02:25:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]

When i came back from Santander, there were about 150 bikes, all in close proximity and all facing the wrong way to ride off.  Many were classic bikes that had been at a rally in N Spain, so when those oil-burners started up, it was a witches brew of carbon monoxide and blue smoke, as they all tried to turn round. Anyyyywayyyy, i'm sure it'll be fine.
--------
If not now, when?

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 06:48:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by TotnesSteve [+]
When i came back from Santander, there were about 150 bikes, all in close proximity and all facing the wrong way to ride off.  Many were classic bikes that had been at a rally in N Spain, so when those oil-burners started up, it was a witches brew of carbon monoxide and blue smoke, as they all tried to turn round. Anyyyywayyyy, i'm sure it'll be fine.
I Think I'm Getting the Black Lung, Pop

Recent Topics

nonskid